PDA

View Full Version : Gem Industries, AT-5 w/ ptfe

seabreeze
11-05-2007, 08:35 PM
been gone for awhile, thanks for the replies. Gem Industries also makes an acylic sealant w/ P.T.F.E. . Incredible product, I prefer it over the Glasse anyday. Anyone else use it before? Yes I would never go with there buffer either.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/autogeek/misc/progress.gif

ScottB
11-07-2007, 07:57 PM
PTFE better known as teflon has no place in car care. Even Dupont came out back in the 90's and admitted it cannot bond properly without extreme heat and was nothing more than a gimmic. Funny, they licensed their name and product to a car company a couple years ago to sell just that, a gimmic !

Mr Dream Machines
11-08-2007, 04:22 AM
Well acrylic/teflon products are not bad, toughseal is one of those but there have been significant advancements in polymer and non polymer sealants in recent years
All teflon does is make the surface slippery and it's been my experience that teflon polishes and sealants change the characteristics of paint finishes, making some products no longer useable on the treated finish, long after the owner has stripped off that sealant

A good sign of a polish and sealant is ability to work on paint, glass, metals and exterior moldings (not textured)

Fishincricket
12-16-2012, 04:47 PM
So what's up with this AT-5? Odd that there are so few threads here about it...?

PiPUK
12-16-2012, 05:46 PM
The world got into using 'nano' - you will find that these fluoropolymers are now sold under that guise in the automotive sector.

Fishincricket
12-16-2012, 06:21 PM
lol, any possibility you could dumb that down for a newbie?

There's some guy flooding a few of the various automotive forums pushing this stuff and not getting a very fond reception.. Just thought I'd come here and attempt to gather some "facts"...

PiPUK
12-16-2012, 06:53 PM
PTFE is a fluoropolymer, a specific example. There are many different fluoropolymers (hundreds) which have similar characteristics to PTFE. The fluoropolymer group generally gives water beading and are easy to clean. Such products are already used in the automotive industry for coatings but the suppliers don't tell you what the products are and generally they get lumped in with nano sealants.

Fishincricket
12-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Are detailing forums places to get honest info for detailing problems (http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/detailing/508600-detailing-forums-places-get-honest-info-detailing-problems.html#post5690082)

AutowerxDetailing
12-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Are detailing forums places to get honest info for detailing problems (http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/detailing/508600-detailing-forums-places-get-honest-info-detailing-problems.html#post5690082)

I read through that thread... I considered registering for an account just so I could respond. It doesn't sound like that guy has a clue about anything he is talking about. Depending on the paint thickness everything on that tailgate is easily repairable with the right tools & technique.

Fishincricket
12-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Well that is just one of many threads made by this fellow.. Seems like he's going around with a chip on his shoulder trying to prove something, and claiming to basically have a miracle product, if I understand him correctly.

Odd...

FUNX650
12-16-2012, 10:47 PM
So what's up with this AT-5? Odd that there are so few threads here about it...?

Well that is just one of many threads made by this fellow.. Seems like he's going around with a chip on his shoulder trying to prove something, and claiming to basically have a miracle product, if I understand him correctly.

Odd...

Ol' "Buffer Bill" still at it I see...(Bless his heart.)

Odd? In a way: Yes.
Even more, though: Sad... IMHO.

Bob

Fishincricket
12-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Yeah, he's got some pretty faulty logic... Sad, frankly.. I'm bored and wanting to better understand this detailing stuff, so I'm debating with him, at least to the degree that one can when your opponent refuses to see logic and looks right past reason, conjuring red herrings and straw men like a warlock! lol