PDA

View Full Version : Paint Correcting Temperature

oboroballa03
10-18-2016, 07:22 PM
Winter is approaching and i have no heated building for detailing as it is just a side job on weekends but i have been doing 2 cars a weekend for the past 6 weeks and have 4 more scheduled. One is a Ram crew cab for paint correction but i was wondering is it alright to do it when it is say 40 degrees? I have only done a few cars so i havent ever tried it when its cold just not sure what to expect or if i go to town as usual. Thanks for any advice as it is much appreciated.

bhonshell42
10-18-2016, 07:26 PM
Try to keep the polish at room temperature in the bottle. If possible put the vehicle in the sun and get some heat built up in the finish. A little heat from the sun will help greatly I have found in cold temps

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

TTQ B4U
10-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Do you have access to a garage of any kind? It would cost money but some storage units that are large enough for cars offer heated units and rent by the month. I would also bet that some local aprtments near you would rent you a garage to use as well. Just some options. Bring a couple dual light halogens on tripods and you'll heat those space right up in no time. Just pull the vehicle in, rinseless wash it and go.

oboroballa03
10-18-2016, 08:22 PM
I have a garage to do it in but its not heated. I thought about renting a torpedo style kerosene heater but just wasnt sure if i needed to or not. I have led tripod lights so they wont help but that is a good idea might need to get some for winter time or just an extra set.

custmsprty
10-18-2016, 10:04 PM
why not just get some type of portable electric heater at the "Depot" they have a bunch of different sized efficient space ehaters from what I just saw.

AutoApollo
10-18-2016, 11:14 PM
It could be problematic. Maybe not so much for the paint correction but for wax. Megs products usually work best at 60f and above. I assume others are similar. Good luck

tdekany
10-19-2016, 06:16 AM
For Opti Coat, the minimum temperature is 50. So I'd get a couple of heaters to get your garage closer to 60. You'll have an easier time correcting the paint as well. Polishes also need warmer temps than 40 to work as intended.

FUNX650
10-19-2016, 07:46 AM
I have a garage to do it in
but its not heated.
I thought about renting a torpedo
style kerosene heater but just wasnt
sure if i needed to or not.
Please consider the following "cons",
among others, of using a torpedo, or
salamander, style kerosene heaters
for an indoors setting:

•Fire Hazard

•Kerosene smell permeating the area,
(and whatever is in the area)
-needs proper ventilation

•Incomplete combustion
-even if unit is rated at 99% effiecency:
still not ideal for indoor usage
-again: ventilation; and,
-CO detecter is a must

•Noisy!!
-Sounds like a jet engine,
while in operation

•Condensation
-moisture from the combustion process
-Cold structure(garage) vs.
Heater putting out 10s of thousands BTUs
-Rust...just waiting to happen

•Nose of unit gets extremely hot
-Must keep the unit at a safe distance:
away from people and objects easily
affected by high heat (think bumper covers)

•K-1 fuel isn't cheap

Safety First!

Bob

oboroballa03
10-19-2016, 03:47 PM
The products i have to work with are Rupes medium and fine gel compounds hd cut polish and speed then i use 845 for wax. The garage i will be using is a big garage its like 40 x 80 so it would be hard to heat it up but i am hoping that the temps dont get too low on me in the next few weeks. I am tryin to come up with a back up plan so i dont have to tell the customer sorry i cant do it but i am sure he would understand.

FUNX650
10-19-2016, 04:01 PM
i am hoping that the temps dont get
too low on me in the next few weeks. .
Here's some good temperature information:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/46956-what-temperature-ranges-best-applying-compounds-polishes-waxes-paint-sealants.html

Bob

dpevans
10-19-2016, 04:24 PM
Buy some plastic sheeting and hang it up to minimize the space to need to heat.

Nth Degree
10-19-2016, 04:43 PM
A few Halogen lights will warm it up, just not quickly. Friction will warm things up pretty quick in terms of the polishing. A blow dryer on the panel for a few seconds beforehand will help.

oboroballa03
10-19-2016, 06:43 PM
Here's some good temperature information:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/46956-what-temperature-ranges-best-applying-compounds-polishes-waxes-paint-sealants.html

Bob

Thanks for that link it was pretty informative

oboroballa03
10-19-2016, 06:44 PM
A few Halogen lights will warm it up, just not quickly. Friction will warm things up pretty quick in terms of the polishing. A blow dryer on the panel for a few seconds beforehand will help.

I thought about the polishing possibly heating things up a lil its startin to seem it might just take a lil more time to do the job in colder temps but possible

dmayer
10-19-2016, 06:52 PM
I bought a small propane torpedo looking heater and it heats up a 2-car garage nicely. In the Chicago area in January, I can start it and go out in a half hour in a couple of layers of clothes and work on the car. I can go through a 20lb tank of propane in a couple of weekends though, maybe quicker. I can start it and get the garage warm though and then shut it off for a while. Also you can purchase larger tanks than 20lb that will last longer and then have those filled up when they run out.