PDA

View Full Version : Need advice! New found problems in freshly corrected black paint, strange lines or cracking.

Pages : [1] 2

rjh65
10-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Hello all, I have a 10yr old Chrysler 300C with the brilliant black paint, it looks killer and really pops with the metallic in the paint HOWEVER I clay barred the roof then used the Wolfgang uber compound then finish glaze and sealant with my pc 7424xp kit recently purchased at Autogeek with the included Lake country pads, it did make a huge difference but also made these marks stand out a lot more! I saw some of them before correction but you can REALLY see them now (please see attached picture), I cannot feel them with my fingernail for the most part, a couple of them i can feel very slightly but for the most part you cannot feel them. I don't know if a glaze with feelers would work at all or if a high speed buffer would help or just to re-paint the roof. I cannot afford new paint so I am hoping for some sort of inexpensive fix. Please help thank you all!

Just02896
10-18-2016, 04:40 PM
I really hate to say it but it looks very much like clearcoat failure or burn through spots. I hope I'm wrong!

ETA: I didn't realize your question was directed towards Mike. Sorry.

Eric@CherryOnTop
10-18-2016, 04:45 PM
They're called crows feet and they indicate clear coat failure. Nothing you can do about them other than pay someone to repaint it.

GSKR
10-18-2016, 05:32 PM
They're called crows feet and they indicate clear coat failure. Nothing you can do about them other than pay someone to repaint it.
Ditto.

Mike lambert
10-18-2016, 07:10 PM
Check with Chrysler, I think I read about a problem with those cars? It's worth a try?

rjh65
10-18-2016, 08:58 PM
Well I appreciate the heads up, just bought the car 2 months ago so i certainly did not need this! I am wondering if it will spread and how fast. It's on the roof only at this point but it wasn't very noticeable until i did the correction last night. Does anyone know why? I am also wondering if I can safely detail the rest of the car for fear of these showing up elsewhere even though I do not see them on the rest of the car.

Fast Eddie
10-18-2016, 10:01 PM
It's on the roof only at this point but it wasn't very noticeable until i did the correction last night. Does anyone know why?
If you look closely at your clear, I'm sure you can see it is cracked in all those spots that you see (crows feet like stated above). Once those cracks get filled with compound, they stand out big time.

DBAILEY
10-19-2016, 05:08 AM
You've also made the area surrounding the crow's feet nice and smooth. So the lack of defects surrounding the crow's feet makes it seem more pronounced. They didn't happen when you were polishing. Those would have to have been already there.

TTQ B4U
10-19-2016, 07:25 AM
Well I appreciate the heads up, just bought the car 2 months ago so i certainly did not need this! I am wondering if it will spread and how fast. It's on the roof only at this point but it wasn't very noticeable until i did the correction last night. Does anyone know why? I am also wondering if I can safely detail the rest of the car for fear of these showing up elsewhere even though I do not see them on the rest of the car.

I'm not famliar with the history of the Q/C in this lineup of vehicles. Honda is notorious for having Clear Coat Failures. Could be the previous owners never protected the car thus exposing the paint to conditions that led to the clear failing.

You can safely correct the car but it's likely it could be showing on the hood and deck lid area. Sides don't get as direct of an exposure to cause it as readily. Doing nothing cerainly won't helps so you may as well correct it.

I've not had experience with it but perhaps wiping down the roof with something to remove the compound and polish from the cracks will lesson their visibility. From there you can always use a coating or WOWA product to avoid any buildup in the cracks from a traditional wax or sealant.

Mike Phillips
10-19-2016, 07:32 AM
Looks like cracks or fractures in the clearcoat. My experience is this is common on the hood of cars especially Hondas.

The below...

Once those cracks get filled with compound, they stand out big time.

And this

So the lack of defects surrounding the crow's feet makes it seem more pronounced.

[quote]

I fully agree with the above. When you machine compounded and polished the paint you removed all the shallow defects surrounding these cracks which now make the cracks stand out like a sore thumb and this is made more dramatic because the cracks now have compound residue in them.

[QUOTE=DBAILEY;1434465]

They didn't happen when you were polishing. Those would have to have been already there.

The above is also correct. Polishing did not create the cracks... it revealed them.

Sorry to say the only honest repair is to repaint. If it were me I'd continue polishing the paint because that will help the paint last longer (a smooth surface naturally lasts longer than a rough surface), and then keep the paint protected with a wax, sealant or coating.

Also just to comment...

My theory is the cracks are caused by a number of things starting with the actual paint. Something is wrong with the paint to start with because this doesn't happen to ALL paint, just some paint.

Next, the natural expansion and contraction when the car body panels get hot and cold with surrounding temperatures OVER TIME cause the cracks. That's just my theory.

As a body panel gets warm or hot the panel and thus the paint expands or stretches. Then as the temperatures go down the body panel contracts or shrinks and thus the paint does also. OVER TIME this expanding and then shrinking takes its toll on "SOME" paint. The result is as the saying goes.

Something has to give

In your car's case, the paint gave.

:)

rjh65
10-19-2016, 09:57 AM
Sorry to say the only honest repair is to repaint. If it were me I'd continue polishing the paint because that will help the paint last longer (a smooth surface naturally lasts longer than a rough surface), and then keep the paint protected with a wax, sealant or coating.

I cannot afford new paint at this point, I have applied the wolfgang sealant already, do I purchase a black wax and apply with my pc 7424xp?

What product do I use?

Can the black wax replace the white compound that got into the crows feet instead?

:dunno:

Eric@CherryOnTop
10-20-2016, 05:21 AM
I think the constant pounding of uv light on the horizontal panels of dark cars might also have something to do with it.

If I were you I would go with a nano coating on that paint, that should give you the longest amount of time to kick the can down the road, so to speak. Certainly no need to repaint at this point, just have to deal with the cosmetics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips
10-20-2016, 08:21 AM
Can the black wax replace the white compound that got into the crows feet instead?

I've had good luck machine polishing cracks like this using a black wax or a black colored polish like Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze. Basically you're massaging out the white compound residue and replacing it with a black residue.

You can try and hope for the best.

Use a soft foam waxing pad on your PC on around speed 5 and just massage the area for a while.

Wish you luck...

rjh65
10-24-2016, 08:57 PM
I've had good luck machine polishing cracks like this using a black wax or a black colored polish like Poorboy's Black Hole Glaze. Basically you're massaging out the white compound residue and replacing it with a black residue.

You can try and hope for the best.

Use a soft foam waxing pad on your PC on around speed 5 and just massage the area for a while.

Wish you luck...

Thanks Mike, I checked the hood and looked VERY closely for the crows feet so i don't find out the hard way by applying the Wolfgang uber compound and then being stuck with the problem of trying to get out out of the cracks and GLAD I did as it appears the hood has these tiny crows feet as well so, in this case where I do have some light scratches that (again it is Chrysler "brilliant black" which has some metallic in there) the uber compound would have removed so what would the correct protocol and product to remove the light scratches and light swirls to correct and then the correct product protect the paint but without highlighting the crows feet for the rest of the car? I am sure you are a BUSY man so i am trying to consolidate my questions so i have the correct method and specific product choices including the foam pads. I have the PC7424XP along with Lake country hydro-tech foam pads (tangerine, cyan and crimson) thanks Mike!

Nth Degree
10-24-2016, 11:33 PM
You've also made the area surrounding the crow's feet nice and smooth. So the lack of defects surrounding the crow's feet makes it seem more pronounced. They didn't happen when you were polishing. Those would have to have been already there.

I call this concept THE WALDO EFFECT: When you look for Waldo on a page full of distractions you might take a long time to find him. If you removed everything from that page but Waldo he would stand out like a sore thumb. This is further exacerbated by the fact that the clean surface of both the paint surface and the edges of the scratch(es) are more reflective so they will be more pronounced, the equivalent of making Waldo even bigger on the empty page.

My theory is the cracks are caused by a number of things starting with the actual paint. Something is wrong with the paint to start with because this doesn't happen to ALL paint, just some paint.

Next, the natural expansion and contraction when the car body panels get hot and cold with surrounding temperatures OVER TIME cause the cracks. That's just my theory.

As a body panel gets warm or hot the panel and thus the paint expands or stretches. Then as the temperatures go down the body panel contracts or shrinks and thus the paint does also. OVER TIME this expanding and then shrinking takes its toll on "SOME" paint. The result is as the saying goes.

Something has to give

In your car's case, the paint gave.

I agree with Mike on this. It does seem to be more common on darker colors. I presume because they attract sunlight and get hotter faster so the expansion and contraction is more significant. Based on the look of the roof channels this car has had more than its share of sun exposure.