PDA

View Full Version : 3 or 3.5" Backing Plates on PC 7424XP

duquephart
10-18-2016, 10:10 AM
I'd like to use a smaller pad for those areas (bumpers, etc.) where they would work better. But there seems to be concerns about excessive vibration due to the counterweight being designed for the larger set ups. Can a 3 or 3.5 inch plate be used without issues? What have folks run into in this regard?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-18-2016, 10:14 AM
I would stick with the smaller 3" plate/pad combo on this machine for smaller areas.

I have set up my G110v2 in this manner as well. No issues running this setup.

Paul A.
10-18-2016, 11:02 AM
I have to agree with Mike. In my experience i have found it better to go from a 5" pad to a 3" or 3.5" pad for the tight areas. I have found not much gained from 5" to 4". I also have a 6" counterweight on my PC and haven't experienced any excessive rattle problems. I might run it slightly slower for the small pads but i might be on a plastic bumper anyway. Again, just my opinion here.

dlc95
10-18-2016, 12:24 PM
I use the 3.5", only because Buff and Shine doesn't have much selection for 3" pads. The machine is also less "tippy" with a 4" pad.

Paul A.
10-18-2016, 02:07 PM
Good point, dlc. Yes, tippy is the best word to describe the feeling but controlling the machine around tighter areas is a focus for me. Be mindful of "tippy".

Kamakaz1961
10-18-2016, 02:10 PM
I'd like to use a smaller pad for those areas (bumpers, etc.) where they would work better. But there seems to be concerns about excessive vibration due to the counterweight being designed for the larger set ups. Can a 3 or 3.5 inch plate be used without issues? What have folks run into in this regard?

I have no issues with either 3" or 3.5" BP. I can go all the way to 1" BP as I have my PC7424XP set up that way. As for vibration...I have not experienced that. What I did experience is that the PC performs better with the smaller plates and corrects better.Either choice you choose should be fine.

Mike@ShineStruck
10-18-2016, 02:16 PM
3in bp with 3.5 LC Thin pros

David at LC Pads
10-18-2016, 03:47 PM
3in bp with 3.5 LC Thin pros

I might be a little biased but I love this combo too! :)

Eldorado2k
10-18-2016, 03:54 PM
I might be a little biased but I love this combo too! :)

Add me to this list. I recently bought a 6pk. of these 3.5" Thinpros and they seem best equipped for the small setup.

@David@LakeCountry. Are you guys ever planning to sell the HD Orbital Foam Pads in a 6pk/valu pk. here on Autogeek? It would be nice to be able to buy more at 1 time + save a few bucks. Thx.

duquephart
10-19-2016, 01:03 PM
The whole idea for me (as a noob to machine detailing) is, of course, to have the ability to machine polish narrower and harder to get at areas. Which leads me to my next question: Does the whole pad need to contact the surface being polished? In other words, can a 4" pad be used to polish a 3" or smaller strip? Any advice much appreciated. Please forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere.

Eldorado2k
10-19-2016, 03:26 PM
The whole idea for me (as a noob to machine detailing) is, of course, to have the ability to machine polish narrower and harder to get at areas. Which leads me to my next question: Does the whole pad need to contact the surface being polished? In other words, can a 4" pad be used to polish a 3" or smaller strip? Any advice much appreciated. Please forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere.

There are certain areas that for sure can still be done by cheating.. Those areas are the A pillars, the D pillars, and even the B pillars in most cases... All you have to do is lay down a couple widths of 2" masking tape along the sides in order to cover up the rubber trim and glass. That allows you to simply use your 5" pad without any problem at all to quikly polish those thin strips of paint.

It's the smaller nooks such as around the rear license plate where you pretty much really need a 3" pad for sure.

Rsurfer
10-19-2016, 05:11 PM
There are certain areas that for sure can still be done by cheating.. Those areas are the A pillars, the D pillars, and even the B pillars in most cases... All you have to do is lay down a couple widths of 2" masking tape along the sides in order to cover up the rubber trim and glass. That allows you to simply use your 5" pad without any problem at all to quikly polish those thin strips of paint.

It's the smaller nooks such as around the rear license plate where you pretty much really need a 3" pad for sure.
The problem with that is, it's harder to control a 5" pad on smaller areas and it will stall on a slight curve. Whereas a 3" is easier to control and won't stall if you don't use to much pressure.

Eldorado2k
10-19-2016, 06:50 PM
The problem with that is, it's harder to control a 5" pad on smaller areas and it will stall on a slight curve. Whereas a 3" is easier to control and won't stall if you don't use to much pressure.

Once you apply 2 widths of masking tape around the A pillar it's no longer a small area.

The 5" pad is very easy to control here as you're basically polishing like normL thanks to the masking tape. Speed 4, 1 hand.

A pillars are straight as an arrow. I can't imagine the polisher ever stalling here.

Remove your tape and check out your results. Lookin good + your black trim doesn't have a spec of polish residue on it.😉

This will work on all the pillars on most vehicles. Parts like around the rear license plate he may want to invest in that 3" backing plate + pads.

Rsurfer
10-19-2016, 06:59 PM
Once you apply 2 widths of masking tape around the A pillar it's no longer a small area.

The 5" pad is very easy to control here as you're basically polishing like normL thanks to the masking tape. Speed 4, 1 hand.

A pillars are straight as an arrow. I can't imagine the polisher ever stalling here.

Remove your tape and check out your results. Lookin good + your black trim doesn't have a spec of polish residue on it.��

This will work on all the pillars on most vehicles. Parts like around the rear license plate he may want to invest in that 3" backing plate + pads.
Looks like your polishing tape instead of paint.

Eldorado2k
10-19-2016, 07:21 PM
Looks like your polishing tape instead of paint.

TBO it actually came out really good. So good I almost feel inspired enough to give the whole truck a quik go round just to freshen it up.:) It's been about 10-12 months since I last polished it.

Which leads me to my next question: Does the whole pad need to contact the surface being polished? In other words, can a 4" pad be used to polish a 3" or smaller strip? Any advice much appreciated. Please forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere.

The only reason I recommended it was because he specifically asked if there was any way possible.^

These days I no longer have to do it that way now that I've got a 3" backing plate + pads.