PDA

View Full Version : Poorboys EX

dengood1
11-05-2007, 06:51 PM
What can anyone tell me about this sealant (those who have used it)? I've got a small sample and am itching to use it but want to hear some "real life" experiences you all have had with it. Looks, durability, ease of use, etc......tell me what you know, good or bad. Thanks!

AUdakota
11-05-2007, 07:08 PM
I have heard that it is not very durable for a sealant but I have no actual experience so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Gary Sword
11-05-2007, 07:11 PM
I have used EX-P but on EX. I guess the left out the P. Sorry I'm not much help Dennis. I think EX-P is a decent sealant but not my favorite.

budman3
11-05-2007, 07:22 PM
I have heard that it is not very durable for a sealant but I have no actual experience so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Those accusations would be of EX-P not EX anyways (which I have never found poor durability... )

But EX is a resin type sealant enhanced with carnauba wax. So basically you get the longevity of a sealant and the looks of a carnauba. It is very easy to apply and just as easy to remove. It is quite slick and adds a nice level of gloss / warmth to the paint. While it's hard to give a solid range of durability, it would have 'normal' durability. Since it is carnauba based you can use Pooroboy's PwC, Optimum Poly-seal or another polish with carnauba in it with no ill effects. Top it off or refresh with a liquid or spray wax for easy maintenance.

Since EX is carnauba based, it'll look best on solid, dark colors. EX-P would be more for a clear shine and makes flakes pop, especially on lighter colors.

Detail_Guy
11-05-2007, 07:29 PM
EX is easy to use, and looks very nice... just not for long! If you have a sample, give it a try and you'll see what I mean. Leave it untouched, with the exception of washing, and after two or three washes, you'll notice a considerable drop off in appearance, and it will start sheeting water rather easily. It may still be protecting, but who cares if it doesn't look good.

Unless you are simply looking for something easy to use, IMHO, there are a lot better LSP's than EX (and EX-P).

Of course, this is just my opinion.

cwcad
11-05-2007, 08:38 PM
I want to add to Budman3 description. EX is a product priced right, looks good, easy to use, does not stain trim, can be worked in direct sun or shade, and has good durability. I would be quite surprised if after using it you do not want to have a bottle on hand to use periodically. At least that has been my experience.

mixxer
11-05-2007, 10:48 PM
It tops a true glaze with no bonding issues. The perfect use for EX IS AFTER rmg and before nattys . RMG,EX,NATTYS is wet deep and warm.

supercharged
11-06-2007, 12:23 AM
nothing special. average carnauba/hybrid sealant.

P1et
11-06-2007, 10:16 AM
I have only used EX-P. Looks nice. But it's worn off by the time you blink your eyes.

dengood1
11-06-2007, 10:30 AM
So it looks like the common consensus is that it looks "ok", and doesn't last worth a crap. Looks like I'll use my DP sealant instead.

Thanks to all for your input:cheers:

budman3
11-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Uh ... did you read everything above? Since you have it, it'd make sense to try it and form your own opinion rather than relying on others opinions. The whole looks and durability issues are pretty subjective and merely personal opinions

There aren't many sealants out there that are compatible with carnauba before and after it, making EX special. Mixxers process of RMG (or another carnauba based polish / glaze), EX, topped with Natty's or another wax would be very nice combo of products.

trlblazer3
11-06-2007, 03:24 PM
I would echo budman's thoughts on EX. Try it out for yourself and see. Personally, I really like the look it gives me. Durability is not as long as most sealants and is probably its biggest weakness, but it will still give you 2-3 months protection easily in my experience. Plus the sun friendliness and ease of application make it a good product.

dengood1
11-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Uh ... did you read everything above? Since you have it, it'd make sense to try it and form your own opinion rather than relying on others opinions. The whole looks and durability issues are pretty subjective and merely personal opinions

There aren't many sealants out there that are compatible with carnauba before and after it, making EX special. Mixxers process of RMG (or another carnauba based polish / glaze), EX, topped with Natty's or another wax would be very nice combo of products.

Yes, Budman3, I decided to try it. EX smelled good, is easy to use, and looks pretty good too. Obviously I can't comment on durability. I'm doing one side with EX and the other with DP SS. I only had a small sample of EX. My point of making this thread was getting a general opinion of EX and didn't want to use it when I have tons of "better" products to use. I just wanted to know everyones opinions. Generally, when "most" people have a common answer it tends to be true. It's like posting a thread about the taste of liver or spinach----although there may be a few that like it, the majority probably would say it didn't taste good----which is the truth:D lol

Thanks again everyone.

Detail_Guy
11-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Yes, Budman3, I decided to try it. EX smelled good, is easy to use, and looks pretty good too. Obviously I can't comment on durability. I'm doing one side with EX and the other with DP SS. I only had a small sample of EX. My point of making this thread was getting a general opinion of EX and didn't want to use it when I have tons of "better" products to use. I just wanted to know everyones opinions. Generally, when "most" people have a common answer it tends to be true. It's like posting a thread about the taste of liver or spinach----although there may be a few that like it, the majority probably would say it didn't taste good----which is the truth:D lol

Thanks again everyone.

Well, it is better than liver or spinach! :D

You are doing the right thing... give it a try. As you said, at least you have better products to use after your test.