PDA

View Full Version : D143 Bug and Tar Remover?

willowcat11
10-17-2016, 09:56 PM
Since I had to wait for my Bug Removers to come in the mail today, I didn't have one on hand while detailing a family members Work Truck which hasn't been cleaned off in a few years.

I washed it down a couple times and scrubbed the front of the truck a bunch to no avail. So I sprayed the front down with D143, let it sit a bit, then scrubbed it again and all the old bug remains came right off instantly!

I know D143 is only for tires and wheels. Is it too dangerous on the paint to do what I did, or is it safe enough to be used the way I used it?

Thanks Everyone!

Ray

Eldorado2k
10-17-2016, 10:03 PM
Wheels are clearcoated. The body panels on the vehicle are also clearcoated. While I wouldn't go and recommend dousing the whole vehicle with D143, I can't really see how it would cause the paint to fall off.. It's not much different than if you were to use D101 APC on the front bumper to help clean off bug guts. Just as long as you don't spray onto a hot surface and allow it to dry you should be ok, as you found out:)

LEDetailing
10-17-2016, 10:07 PM
Interesting. I know that most modern wheels are clear coated paint. I'm guessing you are ok to use D143, however, it probably is not a good product to let sit on all surfaces. I would stick to Meg's APC at a very weak dilution 10:1, before reaching for D143.

I remember watching Darren Priest (Auto Fetish Detail) used Meg's wheel brightener (acid) on a plastic grill. I couldn't try that, too much risk for me.

Eldorado2k
10-17-2016, 10:10 PM
Interesting. I know that most modern wheels are clear coated paint. I'm guessing you are ok to use D143, however, it probably is not a good product to let sit on all surfaces. I would stick to Meg's APC at a very weak dilution 10:1, before reaching for D143.

I remember watching Darren Priest (Auto Fetish Detail) used Meg's wheel brightener (acid) on a plastic grill. I couldn't try that, too much risk for me.

And not just any grill, but a grill on a Bentley! That takes balls. Lol.

willowcat11
10-17-2016, 11:54 PM
Holy cow! That would certainly take some Brass ones to pull that off! I've bleached white a few things on interiors using too strong of Meg's apc before. It seems the radio and other control knobs are pretty sensitive to that stuff. :(

ducksfan
10-18-2016, 12:51 AM
I don't use APC on interiors anymore. Too many products that are better to wipe down with. And, too many specialized products that work better than APC in difficult areas.

Eldorado2k
10-18-2016, 01:07 AM
I don't use APC on interiors anymore. Too many products that are better to wipe down with. And, too many specialized products that work better than APC in difficult areas.

What are a couple of your favorites?

willowcat11
10-18-2016, 01:08 AM
Ducksfan, would you say Mckee's 37 interior cleaner would be one of those better choices?

LEDetailing
10-18-2016, 02:42 AM
Wheels are clearcoated. The body panels on the vehicle are also clearcoated. While I wouldn't go and recommend dousing the whole vehicle with D143, I can't really see how it would cause the paint to fall off.. It's not much different than if you were to use D101 APC on the front bumper to help clean off bug guts. Just as long as you don't spray onto a hot surface and allow it to dry you should be ok, as you found out:)

I was typing while you were and our answers were very similar:)

chet31
10-21-2016, 12:48 AM
In a pinch, window cleaner works nicely as a bug remover.

FUNX650
10-21-2016, 08:32 AM
@OP...
Your thread-starter's title is about using
D143 as a "Bug & Tar" remover.

So far:
-You've used D143 as a "bug remover".
-Are you planning on using it to see if
it will be effective as a "tar remover"?

TIA

Bob