PDA

View Full Version : advice on trailer detail

Cruzscarwash
10-16-2016, 09:51 PM
what products would you use to wax and polish this trailer

2 sides are glossy still and 2 sides have lost the gloss and are oxidized 5293152932

dcjredline
10-16-2016, 10:43 PM
McKees RV heavy compound. Stuff works great with my 3401 and foamed wool pad.

wing commander
10-16-2016, 11:06 PM
I would be very careful using any thing on that trailer with the main reason being it is aluminum sheet metal. The paint will polish off(burn thru)to bare metal if you are to aggressive.Do as Mike suggest and try the least aggressive first and test spot.I live in Florida and see trailers that have been destroyed by rotary buffers all the time.

GSKR
10-17-2016, 06:08 AM
I would be very careful using any thing on that trailer with the main reason being it is aluminum sheet metal. The paint will polish off(burn thru)to bare metal if you are to aggressive.Do as Mike suggest and try the least aggressive first and test spot.I live in Florida and see trailers that have been destroyed by rotary buffers all the time.agree paint is thin.maybe di51 correction cream followed by a nice sealant or try the griots finishing sealant.

GSKR
10-17-2016, 06:11 AM
Or simply a cleaner wax.

MarkD51
10-17-2016, 07:04 AM
I'm guessing you do have a D/A Polisher?

I'd first try something as simple, and inexpensive as Meguiars Cleaner Wax in the Red Bottle, gotten almost anywhere.

Having a cargo trailer myself, I know how easily those Clutch Head Screws will tear the living daylights out of Pads, so best to stay away from them as much as possible, and finish out in those areas by hand with a few MF Applicators.

One can simply repeat the process if needed, then follow with a more durable product, Collinite #845 would be a good choice.

One product I have found that strangely does not at all work good with the paints on these Trailers, is any of the Duragloss products such as #501, or #105. I know, I've tried them and found they are then impossible to remove.

MarkD51
10-17-2016, 07:16 AM
If the wax-product build-up in and around those clutch-head screws look nasty, which it usually does, a simple follow-up with an old toothbrush does the trick.

Cruzscarwash
10-17-2016, 10:04 AM
i have the beast (flex 3401) a PC, and the GG6. I have all the pads to go with them as well. on my shelf I have

M105
M205

Mckees fast compound
Mckees fast polish

Megs 61 cleaner wax
Megs D151

Mckees AIO

oldmodman
10-17-2016, 03:44 PM
Years ago I burned through the paint just using Meguiars cleaner wax.

But you will need to go with a fairly aggressive cleaner/polish on the bare aluminum metal cover on the front (and possibly the fenders if they are the same no slip aluminum). I used a foam ball on the end of a drill motor and adams metal polish and the aluminum on my trailers came out looking like mirrors. At least until the wax I put on them had worn away and the corrosion started again.