PDA

View Full Version : "Love marks"

Jag07
10-16-2016, 01:07 PM
Hello folks,

first thing, I'm new. So probably full of dumb questions.

New car. The total of things done are as follows. ( inspected paint with my limited knowledge and untrained eye and didn't notice many/any swirl marks.) wash with 2 bucket, towel dry, Klasse SG, meguiars gold class paste wax, meguiars quick detailer to keep it clean for a few weeks before the next wash. ( live in apartment, so little access to a hose, will be using pinnacle waterless for next few months). Had a second bath and reapplied the gold class wax.

now, when checking it in the sun I've begun to see a few swirls, more than initially. I have been trying to figure out what it causing it. Pictures were not coming out well enough to show you guys
First thing, dirty mitt but that has been used once and kept in a plastic bag.
Bad wax applicator, maybe it's time for a new one. Using a microfiber applicator.
pressing too hard when removing Klasse and the wax. I use chemical guys gold microfiber towels, brand new.
too much tender love and care with the quick detailer.

Any experience notes to track down the culprit is greatly appreciated. Guess I'll have to learn how to polish out those light swirls soon but hoping to keep that kind of action until later. Polishing, especially with a DA is foreign to me. I want to start using one for wax and sealant application because my arm is killing me already. But before that I want to track down the offending agent causing swirls before I have more problems. Thanks,sorry for the long post.

BrutalNoodle
10-16-2016, 01:20 PM
Hi Jag07,

With all that you've listed, I'm betting on "too much tender love and care with the quick detailer."

I'm big on QD, but I tend to use it after a wash/on clean surfaces to boost shine. As good as many are with capturing/lifting dirt, it's not as safe as a good rinseless, from my experience.

I'm sure others would chime in, but the culprit for me have been too much QD/waterless. Maybe for spot touch up, but I now I wait and go with a method with more lubricity rather than a few spritz to clean.

Desertnate
10-17-2016, 07:44 AM
I agree about the QD. I only use it for small spot cleaning like bird droppings or the odd unexplained splatter. Another source could be the wash medium or the drying towels. Anything that touches the car can be the culprit.

I own a black car and have found the in-between wash wipe down to be a non-starter as there is too much potential for inducing swirls.

Rod73
10-17-2016, 08:05 AM
I probably have had my fair share of "these may be dumb questions but" lol myself.

My current thoughts on the cause of the swirls are potentially a combination of things built up. Some love marks with quick detailer, possibly how you washed the car. Also it's not talked about as much but how you may have dried the car. Also if you are going off of the appearance when you first purchased the car, it is very likely the other guy's wax/glaze (in this case the dealership's) washed off and most of those swirls were already their.

Jag07
10-17-2016, 07:49 PM
Hi Jag07,

With all that you've listed, I'm betting on "too much tender love and care with the quick detailer.".
You can't tell me how to love!

I have to agree with you guys, i have been a little too loving and did it myself. I'll just pretend it was the dealer for my own mind's sake and pride a little too. I'd probably pin it on the QD. Im confident in my wash. I also use three different waffle pattern drying towels, all silk lined and clean.

I got some waterless wash and will be basically soaking the car to help minimize the swirls. Wish me luck. Thanks for the input.

BrutalNoodle
10-17-2016, 07:56 PM

If lovin' you is wrong, I don't want to be without a gallon of concentrate. *leans forward & kisses vehicle*

ducksfan
10-18-2016, 12:07 AM

I have to agree with you guys, i have been a little too loving and did it myself. I'll just pretend it was the dealer for my own mind's sake and pride a little too. I'd probably pin it on the QD. Im confident in my wash. I also use three different waffle pattern drying towels, all silk lined and clean.

I got some waterless wash and will be basically soaking the car to help minimize the swirls. Wish me luck. Thanks for the input.

My experience is waterless is a small step above QD. If you want to avoid swirls, you should look to rinseless.

Also, the drying step is a big swirl creator. You may want to look into one of the blower systems - leaf, masterblaster...

osiapstndp
10-18-2016, 10:12 PM
Waterless and rinseless washes have a spot in a detailer's arsenal. I have what may be considered a proclivity to perform a rinseless wash on mobile jobs when I know the customer's vehicle isn't filthy, but still needs to be spruced up.

On drop-off jobs I won't hesitate to use deionized water to perform a traditional three-bucket wash, but even then if the vehicle isn't caked in dirt and debris I go straight to a rinseless wash.

Waterless washes I reserve for:

1) spot treatment (think about a rear quarter panel after driving through a puddle);
2) cleaning sensitive areas (which may include the whole vehicle).

I realize a lot of this information is not in context, so please don't interpret it literally - there are many situations that are not covered here.