PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Weather sealant / protectant snow trailer suggestions

Pages : [1] 2

mankave1
10-16-2016, 10:38 AM
I need a little help with my new snowmobile trailer. It's black painted aluminum ( enclosed in-line trailer ) and will be exposed to the environmental weather from now until April 1. I live in Michigan and it see's extreme weather and road conditions . Freezing weather with sand, salt, and anything else we use for Ice / snow / slush on the roads in the Midwest.
Can I get some suggestions for sealants ? I have used " Sharkhide " on the bare aluminum, latches, fenders, ect... but now I'm looking for something for the thinly painted exterior.

Thanks

davidc
10-16-2016, 11:02 AM
A lot of people use Collinite 845 year round and a must for winter.
I actually prefer 476 or 885

Dave

AZpolisher15
10-16-2016, 12:10 PM
I'd want to use something that wouldn't build up/show on rivets, seams, etc., when the product dries and can't be easily wiped off during the final "buff".

dlc95
10-16-2016, 03:20 PM
I have three sealants I regularly use for winter here in Michigan:

1. Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax
2. Duragloss 111
3. Meguiar's M21

In the past (late 90's early 2000's) I've had excellent luck with Meguiar's M20 Polymer Sealant.

This season I'd like to give Meguiar's Paint Protect 365 a shot.

Ebg18t
10-16-2016, 04:00 PM
I'd coat it. I recently coated a Cass A RV with CQUK (owners request) and I'll never go that again.

I would look at the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic, Pinnacle Black Label All Surface or MCKee 37 coating to do the trailer while it's still new. I will be coating a Becks Enclosed snowmobile trailer shortly. I plan on using WG Uber Ceramic since cost is not a concern given the price of these trailers.

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating 30cc (http://www.autogeek.net/best-ceramic-paint-coating.html)

http://www.autogeek.net/nano-paint-sealant.html

http://www.autogeek.net/diamond-surface-coating.html

TTQ B4U
10-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Collinite 476 is their most durable. I use it and 845 on customer cars now and into winter. Personally I'd recommend McKee's 37 Coating for you. No clean up and will last a while. It's cost effective too. I've had it on our van and my car for a couple months now and it's still responding like day 1.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
10-16-2016, 05:44 PM
Ceramic coat it or CarPro Hydr02. Hydr02 would be very easy to apply on your trailer.

TTQ B4U
10-16-2016, 08:56 PM
Ceramic coat it or CarPro Hydr02. Hydr02 would be very easy to apply on your trailer.

Will Hydro 2 last through winter? What's the durability of it like over time and in harsh climates? What's the longevity you've sen from it?

GSKR
10-17-2016, 06:22 AM
I would coat it period with Gyeon MOHs .

GSKR
10-17-2016, 06:24 AM
Sorry take that back,go with carolina suggestion easier.

mankave1
10-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all the reply's.
I did my last trailer a few times with Collinite 915, and that was a work-out. I wouldn't mind a " ceramic " sealant .... when I looked at WG's $199 for a syringe I was surprised. Is there anyone that thinks 30cc would not be enough ?
Trailer is a 16' In line ( 21' X 6.5' ) approx.

MIsnowman
10-17-2016, 07:54 PM
I too have a sled trailer that lives on the salty roads in the winter months. I've had good luck with just a good coat of wax on it before the season starts. I wash the trailer after every trip and if we have several trips in really nasty conditions, I will re-wax the v-nose and the rear of the trailer behind the wheels. I've found the salt/sand spray from the truck and the trailer wheels wears away the wax faster in these areas. I thought about trying a coating and I still might, but Collinite 476 works really well too and is dirt cheap.

Ebg18t
10-17-2016, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all the reply's.
I did my last trailer a few times with Collinite 915, and that was a work-out. I wouldn't mind a " ceramic " sealant .... when I looked at WG's $199 for a syringe I was surprised. Is there anyone that thinks 30cc would not be enough ?
Trailer is a 16' In line ( 21' X 6.5' ) approx.

The Wolfgang is not a sealant. It's a coating. Due to the price listed the other 2 options. I think you would need 2 30ml syringes to do the trailer. I think you could do the while trailer with 1 bottle of Pinnacle Black Label all surface coating.

mankave1
10-18-2016, 05:42 AM
Roger That, please excuse my terminology. I'm going to look at the other suggestions also.
Additionally, I do take care of the trailer it's powerwashed after every trip, and I have been known to replace several fenders over the life span... LOL
I just picked WG's Uber Ceramic due to the name... " ceramic ". I have found with at least the Collinite that vehicle surfaces seem to do better with a few coats ( could be just my impression ) . At least the 915.

Ebg18t
10-18-2016, 11:37 AM
One good coat of the Uber Ceramic coating and you will be good to go for a couple years. Just try to keep the trailer as clean as possible.

Mike has a video of the application and I suggest following it to a "T". I found the stuff super easy to work with.