PDA

View Full Version : Any one mix various product brands together?

Pages : [1] 2

Shortspark
10-15-2016, 02:29 PM
The other day I was looking at my detailing arsenal and saw several bottles of spray wax and quick detailers sitting there with about an ounce or two of product in each bottle. I had a home brew mix of AquaWax/Fast Clean and Shine, Griots Speed Shine, Optimum Spray Car Wax, a home brew QD I made out of distilled water and ONR, Wolfgang Spritz and Chemical Guys Speed Wipe. A real hodgepodge!!

Some of these are not really compatible but I decided to put them all in a spray bottle and try it out. There was a total of about 10 or 12 ounces of liquid. You know what - the car came out really, really nice. I was surprised that there was no streaking or grabbing and this concoction went on and came off as well as any dedicated QD. Of course, it makes no sense to buy all this stuff to mix as it was no worse but no better than the products stand alone, but if I have just a little left of something I would rather use it somehow and not throw it away. Has anyone mixed and matched like this to get rid of their leftovers?

Fast Eddie
10-15-2016, 03:07 PM
I have a bottle labeled FrankenDetailer that's a mix of all kinds of spray waxes, detailers, quick shine etc. I did it for fun with a bunch of stuff that was almost gone. I gotta say, it works pretty darn good.

BrutalNoodle
10-15-2016, 03:14 PM
Of course, it makes no sense to buy all this stuff to mix as it was no worse but no better than the products stand alone, but if I have just a little left of something I would rather use it somehow and not throw it away.

Agreed. Rather than a shelf full of 'almost empty' bottles taking up space & products waiting to go bad, this way nothing goes to waste. It's perfect for areas like front & rear bumpers, running boards, and splash guards.

oldmodman
10-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Sure.

I love getting out my Frankenwax every once in a while. It is the end dregs of every can of carnuba I have ever owned. I just throw all the little pieces in a wax can and when it has enough in it to matter I put it in a pan of hot water until they all melt together.

Works fine. Color is a little funky.

fightnews
10-15-2016, 04:19 PM
The other day I was looking at my detailing arsenal and saw several bottles of spray wax and quick detailers sitting there with about an ounce or two of product in each bottle. I had a home brew mix of AquaWax/Fast Clean and Shine, Griots Speed Shine, Optimum Spray Car Wax, a home brew QD I made out of distilled water and ONR, Wolfgang Spritz and Chemical Guys Speed Wipe. A real hodgepodge!!

Some of these are not really compatible but I decided to put them all in a spray bottle and try it out. There was a total of about 10 or 12 ounces of liquid. You know what - the car came out really, really nice. I was surprised that there was no streaking or grabbing and this concoction went on and came off as well as any dedicated QD. Of course, it makes no sense to buy all this stuff to mix as it was no worse but no better than the products stand alone, but if I have just a little left of something I would rather use it somehow and not throw it away. Has anyone mixed and matched like this to get rid of their leftovers? no i havent done this cuz ive been buying by the gallon but it just confirms my suspicion they are all basically the same

mwoywod
10-15-2016, 04:45 PM
2 parts Fast clean and shine and 1 part Aquawax is my all time favorite. I know you mentioned it, but It's the only two products I currently use by duragloss. I swear after I mix and let it sit for a day there must be some sort of fermentation process that makes it turn into the best smelling detail spray that has the best qualities of both products. Only better. They're the only two DG products I use

GSKR
10-15-2016, 07:09 PM
I formulate polishes together for a one step on a rv or plane.

FUNX650
10-15-2016, 07:14 PM
a home brew mix of AquaWax/Fast Clean
and Shine, Griots Speed Shine, Optimum
Spray Car Wax, a home brew QD I made
out of distilled water and ONR, Wolfgang
Spritz and Chemical Guys Speed Wipe.

Some of these are not really compatible

•Are you sure about that?
{I'm taking into consideration
what you posted below.}

You know what -
the car came out really, really nice.

I was surprised
that there was no streaking or grabbing

and this concoction went on and came
off as well as any dedicated QD.

Bob

MarkD51
10-15-2016, 07:46 PM
I formulate polishes together for a one step on a rv or plane.

It's an old tip-trick, that Glazes and Waxes, whether they'd be liquid or paste waxes could be combined and applied. And like I've done a couple times lately, a mix of Meguiars Cleaner Wax in the Red Bottle with Collinite #845 IW when I want to protect my White Cargo Trailer. A few drops of each, and go to work

The Meg's adds a bit of detergent cleansing power to the Collinite to help remove staining streaks in the paint from the rains, etc as it sits outside unprotected 24/7. They work pretty good together, and figure there's some better longevity of protection with the Collinite #845.

BudgetPlan1
10-15-2016, 08:07 PM
no i havent done this cuz ive been buying by the gallon but it just confirms my suspicion they are all basically the same
Sure does make ya wonder.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

glfnaz
10-15-2016, 10:14 PM
2 parts Fast clean and shine and 1 part Aquawax is my all time favorite. I know you mentioned it, but It's the only two products I currently use by duragloss. I swear after I mix and let it sit for a day there must be some sort of fermentation process that makes it turn into the best smelling detail spray that has the best qualities of both products. Only better. They're the only two DG products I use

Same

custmsprty
10-15-2016, 10:18 PM
Personally, I leave the blending up to the chemists and the manufacturers.

LEDetailing
10-15-2016, 10:29 PM

I tried making a D156/Uber combo detail spray. Keyword being "tried". Luckily I only wasted one ounce of D156 and coupe ounces of detail strength Uber. I'll stick with manufacturers products.

dlc95
10-16-2016, 08:41 AM

Same here.

Although, in the mid 90's I made a "wax" combining Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell, Turtle Wax Vision Auto Polish, Kiwi Car Wax, and Blue Coral Ultrafine Auto Polish.....

Essentially a bunch of cleaner waxes. Wasn't anything special. My Dad ended up throwing it in the trash.

Shortspark
10-16-2016, 04:18 PM
•Are you sure about that?
{I'm taking into consideration
what you posted below.}

Bob

Your assertion is probably correct. I was under the impression some of this stuff I mixed together would not react well with each other but since it all worked pretty good on where it counts (the car) maybe there just isn't a whole lot of differences in products these days.