PDA

View Full Version : Dash cluster

lalojamesliz
10-14-2016, 07:41 PM
the dash Guage cluster plastic is a PITA to clean the dust off without scratching the surface.
I was doing a light detail on my car and noticed a few light scratches on the plastic lense :(
Is it possible to remove or cover some of the light scratches with something like meguiars plastX or anything else?

PaulMys
10-14-2016, 07:57 PM
Plexus is a pretty good product for filling in/covering LIGHT scratches.

I recommend one of those mini swiffer kits with the handle for future dusting. They reach into everything, and are pretty cheap.

shadwell
10-14-2016, 07:59 PM
the dash Guage cluster plastic is a PITA to clean the dust off without scratching the surface.
I was doing a light detail on my car and noticed a few light scratches on the plastic lense :(
Is it possible to remove or cover some of the light scratches with something like meguiars plastX or anything else?

Easier to pull the gauge cluster and polish with a small rotary and some super fine finishing polish... I have used carpro reflect and a black 3" finishing pad on a rotary ar 900 rpm previously...
Finish exactly as well as the soft gloss plastic b pillar trims...

lalojamesliz
10-14-2016, 08:02 PM
I was reading a "similar threads" at the bottom of the page and found my answer......(I think) plastX and some polishing.
The car is 2 years old so the plastic is really clear so I'm wondering if it will stay that way after the megs plastX.
One way to find out right :xyxthumbs:

lalojamesliz
10-14-2016, 08:04 PM

I recommend one of those mini swiffer kits with the handle for future dusting. They reach into everything, and are pretty cheap.

I'll buy one ASAP :)

SharonsZamboni
10-14-2016, 08:56 PM

I especially like the swiffer 360.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZpolisher15
10-14-2016, 11:10 PM
I was reading a "similar threads" at the bottom of the page and found my answer......(I think) plastX and some polishing.
The car is 2 years old so the plastic is really clear so I'm wondering if it will stay that way after the megs plastX.
One way to find out right :xyxthumbs:
You need to be extremely careful or you might end up making it worse. Even the finest of microfibers can scratch a plastic instrument panel. The key is having enough room to properly work the PlastX. Easier done on a panel that has a large continuous face. More difficult are the ones where each guage is individual. There's just not enough room to work the polish, particularly around the edges. If you're able to remove the panel and work on it outside the vehicle, you may have some luck.

Eldorado2k
10-14-2016, 11:54 PM
My neighbor asked me for a favor once about that same part.. He has an early 70's Ford Bronco that he's restoring and wondered if I could maybe polish that plastic somehow.. I said ok I'll give it a go. I used a 3" LC Orange Foam pad with my HF DA + McKee's AIO Headlight Restoring Polish. Started slow at his request, speed 2 and I got bored rather fast... I said dude, this is dumb, I'm kickin it up to at least speed 4. Lol. Whaddya know, that plastic turned out perfect! I was green with envy because I only wish I could remove the plastic on my dash cluster without breaking everything and do the same thing.��Lol.

lalojamesliz
10-15-2016, 12:39 AM
My Guage cluster separates the guages but I can easily remove the trim that does that. I haven't tried removing the cluster though.
My suv is 8 years old and needs this much more. I'll probably eperiment with that one first

CC268
10-15-2016, 09:39 AM
My 2014 F150s plastic gauge cover is all scratched despite being careful. Kind of sucks. I have no idea how to get something like that out but my guess is it isn't easy.

AZpolisher15
10-15-2016, 11:48 AM
My 2014 F150s plastic gauge cover is all scratched despite being careful. Kind of sucks. I have no idea how to get something like that out but my guess is it isn't easy.

In some vehicles it's not so bad to get out. In others, its almost unreal-- nearly the entire dash must be disassembled! And it's often hard to know which camp you're in until you just jump in head first.

AZpolisher15
10-15-2016, 11:53 AM
My Guage cluster separates the guages but I can easily remove the trim that does that. I haven't tried removing the cluster though.
My suv is 8 years old and needs this much more. I'll probably eperiment with that one first
Good idea. I recently went after a couple tiny lens scratches in an almost new vehicle and ended up worse off than when I started. This was after hours of research of products/methods and being as careful as I could be. A "practice run" would be a good idea :) I'm not saying it can't be done. But don't rush it.

lalojamesliz
10-17-2016, 03:57 AM
Do you guys think these pads will restore the oem new clarity?
3M Perfect-It 3 Inch Ultrafine Foam Polishing Pads, 3M 05760 pads, ultrafina polishing pads, spot polish pads (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-3in-ultrafine-pads.html)
There's a purple, a black and this blue one. I think this blue one is the finest polishing.
I was looking at getting these pads, a 3" backing plate from chemical guys for my porter cable 7424xp and I already have the chemical guys compounds v32, v34, v36 and v38