PDA

View Full Version : Cobra clay mitt vs clay bar

royalkangaroo
10-12-2016, 08:17 PM
So I picked up a cobra clay mitt the other day and was excited to use on my latest detail. It seemed to me that it didn't pick up as much contaminants as a traditional clay bar. This was a severely neglected 2500HD so maybe that had something to do with it. I "seasoned" the mitt by using it on the windshield as instructed. You could feel it picking up contaminants but after I ran the clay back over it, it picked up significantly more.

Any thoughts? Are mitts like these geared toward lighter contamination?

TTQ B4U
10-12-2016, 08:28 PM
I'm not famliar with that particular mitt but the Nano Brand Sponges I use have different options. I have both a medium and fine grade one and use them both extensively with great results.

pheerix
10-13-2016, 01:51 PM
I read that the Cobra mitt is more on the fine side of aggressiveness so on severely neglected paint a heavy grade mitt or traditional clay is more appropriate.

Octopiston
10-13-2016, 05:39 PM
I can tell you that the cobra mitt can't hold a candle to a fine nano mitt.

PaulMys
10-13-2016, 06:23 PM
I read that the Cobra mitt is more on the fine side of aggressiveness so on severely neglected paint a heavy grade mitt or traditional clay is more appropriate.

I have the Cobra mitt, and I love it. However, It is only used on my pampered Ram truck. The more I read, I think that Octopiston is probably right.

But, for paint in good condition, and only needing a light to medium decontamination before polish/wax etc., I love what the Cobra does for me.

*As a side note, because my truck is also a DD, I still use a clay bar on the underside of the rockers, bumpers, and fenders. A lot of crap can accumulate there, and I'd hate to put that all on my $40 mitt for fear of damaging it.

GSKR
10-13-2016, 09:45 PM
Dollars for dollars clay wins.The mitt deosnt last long.

GSKR
10-13-2016, 09:46 PM
Keep the mitt for the roof.