PDA

View Full Version : using McKee's iron x ?

hmardown
10-12-2016, 06:37 PM
getting ready to use iron x on my 1yr. old black ram pickup. do I need to wash truck first ? if so do I need to dry it before spraying on iron x ? I'm going to be washing after I apply the iron x. just not sure if truck is to dirty(just back & forth to work use). thank you.
hmardown

Setec Astronomy
10-12-2016, 06:39 PM
I'd wash it first. Iron removers are expensive and you just want them working on iron, not on dirt that can be removed by washing. You should be able to just rinse after, without having to wash again. Are you going to clay or use any other kind of mechanical decontamination device (clay substitute)?

The Guz
10-12-2016, 07:06 PM
This method works very well.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/86146-aggressive-approach-washing-car.html

VISITOR
10-12-2016, 07:26 PM
^ i've done similar to that but followed with the ironx soap right after...

LSNAutoDetailing
10-12-2016, 08:11 PM
Subject states "using McKee's iron x?", do you mean McKee's 37 Extreme Iron Remover? McKee’s 37 Xtreme Iron Remover dissolves corrosive iron particles so your paint is smooth and glossy (http://www.autogeek.net/xtreme-iron-remover-x.html)

Iron-X is by CarPro, not McKee's, two different products, both are iron removers, but formulated differently. McKee's Extreme Iron Remover is formulated to go on dry paint.

If you're referring to McKee's, here is Mike Phillips how-to: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/104161-review-how-mckees-37-xtreme-iron-remover.html

Per Mike Phillips:

So here's how I do it...

First - McKee's 37 Xtreme Iron Remover is formulated to spray onto dry paint. The important directions for using this product correctly on dry paint are,

1: Don't let the product dry on the paint. (This means you're rinsing the product off before it has a chance to dry)

2: Work on a cool surface in the shade. (This is just common sense but I want to stress this for that portion of our society that is common sense challenged)

So as long as you abide by the two above directions for correctly using this product to remove iron contamination from your car's paint, here' how you do it.

How to use McKee's 37 Iron Remover

Step 1: Spray down the painted body panels, glass, and other exterior surfaces with McKee's Xtreme Iron Remover

Step 2: Allow the iron remover to do its thing, finding iron contamination and dissolving it.

Step 3: Rinse your car off with a strong blast of water to remove all the iron remover and dissolved iron residues.

Step 4: Wash your car as you normally would wash it.

TTQ B4U
10-12-2016, 08:37 PM
getting ready to use iron x on my 1yr. old black ram pickup. do I need to wash truck first ? if so do I need to dry it before spraying on iron x ? I'm going to be washing after I apply the iron x. just not sure if truck is to dirty(just back & forth to work use). thank you.
hmardown

I would suggest washing it first for sure. I then typically take the nozzle off the hose, rinse it down so the water sheets off. You may have to wait a few minutes if the car has no wax or sealant on it as the water will take longer to dry. Once pretty clear of water, apply the Iron X. I do mine in sections as to prevent it from drying (depending on weather conditions of course). You can then just rinse it until clear. Lastly, I then use a Nano Sponge with a small 1 gal. bucket of very soapy water as lubricant. Rinse, dry and prepare to polish/correct the paint.

hmardown
10-13-2016, 07:33 PM
thanks for all the reply's. yes it's the McKee extreme iron x. less than 2 months ago I did clay it. then I used McKee's 37 360(love that stuff). after that I used poor boy's paste wax. I'm just interested in trying out the iron x. I was hoping to not have to wash, dry, iron x, wash & then dry again. but I will. you gotta love a black vehicle.
hmardown

The Guz
10-13-2016, 07:39 PM
thanks for all the reply's. yes it's the McKee extreme iron x. less than 2 months ago I did clay it. then I used McKee's 37 360(love that stuff). after that I used poor boy's paste wax. I'm just interested in trying out the iron x. I was hoping to not have to wash, dry, iron x, wash & then dry again. but I will. you gotta love a black vehicle.
hmardown

Use Mike's method and you don't have to dry after the initial wash. Saves a step and more importantly time.