PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber towels leaving behind fibers.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ruben12
10-12-2016, 11:05 AM
Does anyone have this same issue? Many of my towels are leaving behind tons of fibers on my windows and paint. They aren't noticeable but when the sunlight hits my windshield I can see tons of tiny fibers from my towels? Any advice on how to fix this issue? I don't normally machine dry my towels.

fly07sti
10-12-2016, 11:11 AM
A member by the name of Mike here on AGO came up with the great idea of running a lint roller over MF's to fix this exact issue. It works great! Give it a shot.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-12-2016, 11:32 AM
I like to iron mine out with a lint roller when they come out of the dryer to remove any loose fibers. This will cut down on the linting.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/88875-smack-towel-method-stm.html

pheerix
10-12-2016, 11:34 AM
Certain towels lint more than others. The split end or "fluffy" towels tend to shed a lot. For final wipe I use Griots PFM or a short weave towel.

Ruben12
10-12-2016, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Appreciate it!

Setec Astronomy
10-12-2016, 01:10 PM
You have to be careful on windows. One piece of advice is not to do too much "dry wiping", where the towel is grabbing on the glass, it will leave fibers. Other advice would be to use a cotton Huck towel, or a microfiber Waffle Weave, or a flat weave towel, the WW or flat weave are less likely to leave micro lint.

LEDetailing
10-12-2016, 01:21 PM
I noticed this on my glass especially. Is there a correlation between quality and linting? I noticed my higher quality edgeless 480 gsm MF's don't lint, but my Meguiar's X2020 MF's seem to lint more. BTW, I use the Meguiar's MF for coumpound, polish, and wax removal. Only issue I've encountered is the linting. (First world detailing issue:)

The product used and removed with the MF might have some effect on the amount of lint left behind? The amount of static created by rubbing against paint and glass? I like the lint roller idea.

LSNAutoDetailing
10-12-2016, 01:23 PM
One way to help prevent it is to make sure you do not wash them with other non MF towels, i.e. terry towel or cotton, etc.
Use a dedicated MF cleaner, such as Micro-Restore Micro-Restore doesn’t just clean microfiber, it restores microfiber! (http://www.autogeek.net/mideco128oz.html)
This is pretty amazing stuff.

As far as the lint roller, I like the idea... I could see rolling them as they come out of dryer and get stowed.

LEDetailing
10-12-2016, 01:25 PM
You have to be careful on windows. One piece of advice is not to do too much "dry wiping", where the towel is grabbing on the glass, it will leave fibers. Other advice would be to use a cotton Huck towel, or a microfiber Waffle Weave, or a flat weave towel, the WW or flat weave are less likely to leave micro lint.

Yep, that is my problem on glass. You know, it is sometimes so obvious, yet it takes someone pointing it out or bringing it to your attention to realize it. The linting on glass occurs much more frequently when I am dry wiping. Thanks for the information.

Rsurfer
10-12-2016, 01:55 PM
^this^

Yep, that is my problem on glass. You know, it is sometimes so obvious, yet it takes someone pointing it out or bringing it to your attention to realize it. The linting on glass occurs much more frequently when I am dry wiping. Thanks for the information.

Brandon Wetch
10-12-2016, 02:12 PM
I do notice this happens with my Costco Mf towels. I have the white waffle weave I use for the final wipe to make it crystal clear. I have also noticed if I use the expensive lavender Super Plush, it does not lint...

-Mr. Slick.

shadwell
10-12-2016, 04:41 PM
I run a final pass with a glass specific short fibre (green cloth) and this grabs almost all the fibres from the cars final wipe down...
its less work than lint rolling every cloth IMO..
The non looped budget cloths deffo drop more...

Billy Baldone
10-12-2016, 07:43 PM
I'm sure I will get a warning.... But every single microfiber I have purchased from AG, lints. Period. End of discussion, mind you, I have only purchased most all of the Cobras, and lime green/blue edgeless. They all lint. The Rag Co Eagle Edgeless do not lint. Thank me in the morning

willowcat11
10-12-2016, 10:51 PM
For me,

1. Only using high quality waffle weave towels on Windows has really shut down any linting. I also only wash MF's with MF's. As for the rest of the car and MF's, I have still been just using Meg's Yellow Supreme Shinesand don't have Ny real problem with them linting on the car.

Using WG Spritz Sealant a lot probably helps to. Dust doesn't like to stay on that stuff to long.🙂

dlc95
10-12-2016, 11:38 PM
For me,

1. Only using high quality waffle weave towels on Windows has really shut down any linting. I also only wash MF's with MF's. As for the rest of the car and MF's, I have still been just using Meg's Yellow Supreme Shinesand don't have Ny real problem with them linting on the car.

Using WG Spritz Sealant a lot probably helps to. Dust doesn't like to stay on that stuff to long.��

I still really like those Supreme Shine towels.