PDA

View Full Version : Rupes 15 vs Rupes 15 Mark II

Gav'sPurpleZ
10-12-2016, 09:11 AM
I would consider myself a weekend warrior when it comes to detailing.
I take care of my own vehicles + my family's... plus a few extra here and there.

I have been using a PC 7424XP, and still have the original 7424 ( 4" pads for small areas ).

I thought about a Flex 3401, but after some reading and discussing with local guys, I would like to go with the Rupes 15.

Question is, for the amount of detailing that I do, is the Mark II worth the extra money ?

Living in the midwest, it is towards the end of the detailing season...so I'm in no hurry.
And if the Mark II is worth every penny of extra money, then I am okay with spending the money.

I would like the opinion of fellow detailers...

thanks in advance

The Guz
10-12-2016, 09:49 AM
Never used the previous Rupes gen polisher but the LHR15 Mark II is worth the money. I enjoy using mine.

Zubair
10-12-2016, 11:28 AM
The difference in power from the American market 15 MKI and MKII is 40%. That is significant by any standard. However the MKI is nothing to scoff at and has ample power hence not being replaced by Rupes and instead is sold alongside the MKII.

Gav'sPurpleZ
10-12-2016, 12:37 PM
Never used the previous Rupes gen polisher but the LHR15 Mark II is worth the money. I enjoy using mine.

thanks

The difference in power from the American market 15 MKI and MKII is 40%. That is significant by any standard. However the MKI is nothing to scoff at and has ample power hence not being replaced by Rupes and instead is sold alongside the MKII.

40% is significant. How often are the higher speed settings necessary on either machine?

Setec Astronomy
10-12-2016, 12:44 PM
This looks like a good discussion: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rupes-bigfoot-oribital-polishers/100427-rupes-lhr-15-legacy-mark-ii.html

Nice to see you Gav, been a long time, from the other forum.

rlmccarty2000
10-12-2016, 04:51 PM
I'm still using the original Rupes and I rarely run it at speed 6. I have the 15, 21, mini, and Nano. I use the 21 on large flat surfaces, the 15 on the sides, and the mini and Nano everywhere else. Never had any problems. I may upgrade one day, but really don't see the need to.

Gav'sPurpleZ
10-12-2016, 06:11 PM
This looks like a good discussion: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rupes-bigfoot-oribital-polishers/100427-rupes-lhr-15-legacy-mark-ii.html

Nice to see you Gav, been a long time, from the other forum.

Yeah, I have been around... Since I don't detail much, it takes a long time to burn through products...so I have done a lot of reading.
Browsing the show and shine section too.
I want to be more active on the forum.

I should have looked for a similar thread, I assumed it was out there.

Does the KB washer modification need to be done to the MKII ?

I'm still using the original Rupes and I rarely run it at speed 6. I have the 15, 21, mini, and Nano. I use the 21 on large flat surfaces, the 15 on the sides, and the mini and Nano everywhere else. Never had any problems. I may upgrade one day, but really don't see the need to.

For what I will be using it for... The extra 100 bucks could go towards new pads....but... I understand the whole " might as well buy the latest and greatest" aspect too

Setec Astronomy
10-12-2016, 06:19 PM

They say no.

DaveT435
11-30-2016, 11:07 PM
I have a 15 Mark II. I didn't have the first model, but I don't think I would want any less power. I always believe in buying the latest technology anyway lol

WRAPT C5Z06
12-01-2016, 08:37 AM
Don't bother with the Rupes 15 first generation, it's under powered in my opinion. Doesn't matter if you polish once a year or 100 times a year, you want the best experience/performance when you're polishing. Go for the Mark II 15, without a doubt!

Is it NEEDED? No, as the polisher will still turn on and polish. Does it help? YES! Sure can't hurt. DO IT!!

Gav'sPurpleZ
12-05-2016, 11:46 PM
I have a 15 Mark II. I didn't have the first model, but I don't think I would want any less power. I always believe in buying the latest technology anyway lol

Don't bother with the Rupes 15 first generation, it's under powered in my opinion. Doesn't matter if you polish once a year or 100 times a year, you want the best experience/performance when you're polishing. Go for the Mark II 15, without a doubt!

Is it NEEDED? No, as the polisher will still turn on and polish. Does it help? YES! Sure can't hurt. DO IT!!

thanks for the responses !
I think I may be leaning towards a Griot's G15

WRAPT C5Z06
12-06-2016, 08:06 AM
thanks for the responses !
I think I may be leaning towards a Griot's G15
I had the G15 and sold it. Under-powered. Go with the Mark II 15

axel06
12-06-2016, 09:44 AM
mark II for the win !!!!

kevinmfitz
12-06-2016, 01:34 PM
I bought the Rupes Mark 1 15ES last year with some help from a gift card. I was a former PC user. I had the PC polisher for about 10 years before the motor burned out.
The Rupes LHR15 ES has been great. Fantastic balance, easy to use and a major upgrade to the Porter cable 7424. I polished about 10 cars this year and I must say
the Rupes is a great machine. I never ran into a power issue at all. I use 3D HD speed, Sonax 0406, Griots Finishing sealant and a variety of waxes. I have lake county pads which are great.

Either model Rupes will be a great addition.