PDA

View Full Version : Question on HD Speed & Collinite #845

rnagore
10-11-2016, 07:14 PM
I just purchased a New 2016 Audi Q3. I am waiting on my GG6 to arrive from AG any day but couldn't wait to detail my car. I know with the bad weather thats been going on so I totally understand the delay. I live in Oregon and this is my DD so I had to do something while the weather is good. I live in a condo so I'm only allowed to do so much. So I washed with ONRWW, Clayed and put one coat of HD speed AIO on. I had to do it by hand because I don't know when my GG6 will arrive. It is supposed to rain for the next six days. So my plane was to wait and add another coat of Hd when my GG6 arrives then top with Collinite #845.
Do you think I should add the Collinite now? Or just wait? Thanks for your help.

Sicoupe
10-11-2016, 07:17 PM
Welcome my friend! If your gonna do any polishing with your speed I would wait then apply when done.

choijw2
10-11-2016, 07:19 PM
First, welcome to AGO.

HD speed is AIO polish, so if you apply, it will remove old coat of wax.
So if i were you, I would wait untill rainy days over.
When weather is all good again, give another ONR wash and if you want to wax again, I would go with C845, which is finishing wax with no abrasive or cleaner.

LSNAutoDetailing
10-11-2016, 07:26 PM
Hi, and welcome to AGO! I see it's your first post, thus you should probably start with going through the AGO University links and videos:
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

HD Speed is a Polish, Cleanser-Sealant, designed to remove light to moderate scratches, cleanse the surface and leave a sealant.
If your new Audi didn't have any swirls or scratches, you could have skipped this step, as long as you were using a grade "Fine" of clay and being very careful.

So my plane was to wait and add another coat of Hd when my GG6 arrives then top with Collinite #845.
I never think of HD Spead as "coat", mainly because I (and most others here) use it for it's correcting properties. There are dedicated sealants that are much better than HD Speed, such as Wolf Gang Deep Gloss Sealant.

Typically it takes a lot of effort to do any form of correction by hand, and in a lot of cases, by hand doesn't finish off as nice. The best method to do any form of correction is machine polishing. Performing a test spot before you begin will indicate if your product and pad will get the results you desire.

I have had tremendous results with HD Speed even on a recent E350, with Cermi-clear. German vehicles, such as Audi, tend to have very hard clear-coats.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/103588-lsn-autodetailing-2007-merc-e350-w-rock-chip-repairl.html

I doubt applying by hand did any form of correction. I personally would assess your paint in the sun-light and look for swirls or scratches. Perform a test spot with the GG6 and Speed, 6-8 section passes, slow arm speed, in a 18"x18" area, wipe and view the results. If good, continue with the rest of the car.

When you've corrected the vehicle, then apply the 845..

Hope this helps and congrats on the new car!

rnagore
10-11-2016, 07:50 PM
My problem I have is I don't have access to electricity outside, I have to do it inside parking garage and lighting is not that good. I took it in the sun and I don't see any swirls just a few scratches. I do have Wolf Gang Deep Gloss Sealant. Do you think I should start over with that or just test with speed first when the GG6 comes? Thanks for your help.

LSNAutoDetailing
10-11-2016, 08:00 PM
There is a great thread by Mike Phillips, but I can't find it right now, where he's detailing this galactic pink caddy in a parking garage, working under the florescent lights. That's what came to mind..

Anyway, if you have electricity in the garage, you can always get some LED lights from a box store... With that said, if you looked at the vehicle under the sun, and didn't see any swirls or scratches, and you don't feel the need to correct, I would forgo the HD Speed and go to the WGDGS. Topping with 845 is optional, I'll let others debate that. :)

rnagore
10-11-2016, 08:13 PM
If I want to try and correct the small scratches I see do you think I should in order do the HD Speed AIO, WGDGS then 845? Or just go with WGDGS then 845. If I go this method will the WGDGS remove the AIO? I just wanted to do something while the weather was good:cool:

TTQ B4U
10-11-2016, 08:39 PM
Wait for the buffer to arrive.

Then Wash, Iron-x, Clay and then polish with HDSpeed and coat that with Collinite.

LSNAutoDetailing
10-11-2016, 08:54 PM
It's taken me a while to write this post, so I'll try to break down each question in an effort to help:

I just wanted to do something while the weather was good:cool:

Don't be hastened by bad weather coming. Detailing is weather permissive, it's your car, and you've got plenty of time. If you need a few days of sunlight go for it. Keep in mind, WGDGS, needs 12 hours with no moisture to cure.

If I want to try and correct the small scratches I see do you think I should in order do the HD Speed AIO, WGDGS then 845?

Yes, that would be the order. 845 being optional. You would want to do a test spot with HD Speed, GG6 and pad. Typically the order is:
Wash/Decontaminate/Correct/Protect (either sealant, wax or coating).

If your intention is to correct or remove light to moderate scratches, the best method to do any form of correction is machine polishing. Performing a test spot before you begin will indicate if your product and pad will get the results you desire. Perform a test spot with the GG6 and Speed, 6-8 section passes, slow arm speed, in a 18"x18" area, wipe and view the results. If good, continue with the rest of the car.

Or just go with WGDGS then 845.

Depends on what your intentions are, you have a few have scratches, and would like to correct them, see above answer. If you can live with them, forgo HD Speed.

If I go this method will the WGDGS remove the AIO?

No, keep in mind AIO is All-In-One. HD Speed is a Polish, Cleanser-Sealant, designed to remove light to moderate scratches, cleanse the surface and leave a sealant. Most use it for it's correcting properties.

According to 3D HD Speed is made up of Cut/Polish & Proxy, but it's not just a outright blend, there are proprietary ingredients making them work together in harmony. All be it, the % of sealant (HD Proxy) in HD Speed isn't that great, which is why most folks top off with something else and mainly use HD Speed for it's correcting properties. Some will chime in here and tout HD Proxy, others will say WGDGS, others will say.... The end result is "protect".

Go through the Detailing How To's section to learn about machine polishing, section passes, and performing test spots.
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

Once you've corrected the vehicle, then apply the 845.. or WGDGS alone, or WGDGS topping with 845. Topping with 845 is optional, I'll let others debate that.

I see your in Portland OR, perhaps another AGO Member in the area can connect with you and give you some good hands on.

I really Hope all this helps! Good luck on your new vehicle and going down the path of detailing it. Lots to learn! We were all newbies at some point! ;)

rnagore
10-11-2016, 09:24 PM
Wow! very informative thanks for your help. I will wait for my GG6 in the mean time I have some reading and learning to do. Thanks again for the information it was a big help.