PDA

View Full Version : When to use a compound?

TexasDave
10-11-2016, 11:16 AM
I'm trying to figure out if I need to use a compound on my car. I did a paint correction process on it about 6 months ago (clay, compound, polish, wax). The paint is in really good shape and I got most of the scratches out the first time although I have some swirling showing in direct sunlight. My question is, how do you decide if compounding is needed or just polishing and waxing will be fine? Is there anything particular that jumps out at you guys when you are deciding on what steps are needed?

choijw2
10-11-2016, 11:20 AM
You start off from least aggressive method, AIO, light polish etc
and if youre not happy with result and need more correction,
thats when you want to move up to compound.

but if you did correction 6 months ago and paint is good shape with some swirls,
polish is all you need, more likely.

Test spot, test spot and more test spot!

LSNAutoDetailing
10-11-2016, 11:25 AM
I'm trying to figure out if I need to use a compound on my car. I did a paint correction process on it about 6 months ago (clay, compound, polish, wax). The paint is in really good shape and I got most of the scratches out the first time although I have some swirling showing in direct sunlight. My question is, how do you decide if compounding is needed or just polishing and waxing will be fine? Is there anything particular that jumps out at you guys when you are deciding on what steps are needed?

Hi Texas Dave, welcome to AGO!!! I see this is your first post! You probably want to peruse the Autogeek University found here:
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

Specifically look for the videos and details from Mike Phillips on how to do a test spot. Once you've dialed in your product and pad combination and it works in your test spot, continue the rest of the vehicle.

To answer your question, it really depends on you and what you are deciding as enough correction? Are you looking for 100% (perhaps unattainable on any vehicle), 80% or 75%... Once you figure that out the least aggressive approach is the way to go.

While you are making that decision, read through this post:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/87410-clearcoats-thin-mike-phillips.html

Typically, I'll do a daily driver once a year, as long as you do 6-8 section passes per section, slow arm movement, and proper downward pressure you should be fine. It's usually when someone decides they're going to get a scratch out and they stay on it until they generate enough heat to burn the clear. Heat is really the thing to be aware of. Use the least aggressive method you should be ok. It's certainly fine to go back and redo a spot if it's bothering you, but again, least aggressive approach.

OCDetails
10-11-2016, 11:27 AM
On a daily driver you should expect there to be some swirling on your paint. Perfection is not possible to maintain unless you keep it in a bubble in your garage at all times. You are seeing marks that less than 1% of people are even going to notice. You can polish it again if you want, but the first time you drive it through a stiff breeze or wash it you are going to start to see light marks again. It may not even be in the paint. The protectant or wax you put on it is much softer than the paint and prone to showing small swirls in it too.

Trust me... I obsessed over one particular car so bad that I actually had to sell it in order to regain my sanity. I polished it probably twice a week because it looked so darn good when it was shiny. Nobody needs to be that obsessed over small swirls in their paint. My recommendation is to get comfortable with a certain level of 'good enough' on your daily driver. For a show car I say go nuts and get every last mark off that paint, but if the marks are just going to come back the first time you take it out, it just isn't worth spending all your time chasing marks that nobody other than you can see. Just my $.02 from experience.

TexasDave
10-11-2016, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the quick responses!! I believe at this point I have read everything on this site (probably twice). My car is pitch black and keeping it looking good is a full time job, but something I love doing. Its my therapy. I don't want to use a compound unless I have to, so you guys definitely answered my question! Much appreciated!!

Kamakaz1961
10-11-2016, 01:47 PM

Hi Dave and IMO I would just POLISH your ride and then do the normal LSP. IMO Compounding is done once in most cases. If you maintain your ride correctly, you will STILL get minor/light scratches no matter what. I have a Black car and just LOOKING at it causes minor/light scratches. So if it were me just go to polishing. Additionally, it is the LEAST aggressive method too.

I am ready to do my semi-annual exfoliation facial for my ride. So all I am going to do is prep, polish, jewel polish (experimenting with this and this step is not necessary) and then LSP.

IMO compounding is only used if there are deep scratches. If there are minor scratches then polishing is the way to go. There is only so much clearcoat on you ride and compounding will dig deep into that clear coat. Polishing will too, however, at a much lesser pace.

Prep, Polish and LSP is the way I would go.

Moravcik25
10-11-2016, 03:40 PM
Most likely just a light polish to remove swirls mate, you want to touch the paint as little as possible, and remove as little as possible any time you do have to work in it.

Consider using a coating from Gtechniq or similar once you fix the paint this time, then your car will be protected for much longer than a matter of months.

Detailsbydaniel
10-11-2016, 04:14 PM
If you had the paint polished to your liking 6 months ago and you have the wash type swirls try a new washing technique. As you know all black does is show every tiny imperfection. If your washing is not dialed in you will be facing this again come spring. As others stated a certain amounts of scratching is going to happen as its a dd and that we just have to live with.

Try using a glaze after polishing to help hide some imperfections. Poorboys has black hole i think is the name gets rave reviews from guys and gals with a black car.

Hope you find the answer that makes you happy

TTQ B4U
10-11-2016, 05:00 PM

IMO the only time compounds are needed is if the oxidation is really bad or the scratches and swirls don't respond to a polish. Otherwise, go least aggressive means possible.

My Car is Pure Black and only gets spot polished when needed. She's been fully corrected and coated and that coating has really helped reduce any micro mar swirls/lines that might appear. Even then they are more than easily polished away and the surface re-coated.

brad911
10-11-2016, 08:21 PM
I have a black 2016 pilot as my DD. Wash it once a week, super diligent about how I do it and I still get the occasional light hairline mark on the clear coat. On a show car you an obsess, but on a DD you have to be objective and reminder that 98% of people out there won't notice those small imperfections compared to what you see on 98% of black cars (horrible swirl marks, water spots, marring, etc).
I will obsess some day when I retire and I have the time, but at this moment I know I'm doing great compared to others. Yes they bother me and I wonder how they got there, but even with a perfect wash technique you're bound to get a few. What I do is use a finishing product (if needed) once in the spring after I've decontaminated the paint (if needed) and apply my LSP (Powerlock)