PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt dwp849x discontinued?

choijw2
10-11-2016, 10:52 AM
I been looking into getting a rotary
and leaning towards to dewalt because its easier on wallet compare to FLEX
espeically for someone who doesnt detail fulltime.

anyways,

I was going to pull the trigger soon, but it says, discontinued
at local hardware stores.

are they coming out with updated model or so?

Setec Astronomy
10-11-2016, 10:56 AM
Doesn't seem discontinued here:

DeWalt DWP849X 7 & 9 inch Variable Speed Rotary Polisher, rotary buffer, circular polisher, car polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/dewalt-dwp849x-polisher.html)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-11-2016, 11:05 AM
This will be a great starter machine if you are wanting to get started on the rotary without dropping to much money into it. I too started off with an 849x and have been very happy with it. Now if you are wanting to start off now with the 849x and thinking of grabbing the PE14 later on down the road, just jump in with both feet and pick up the PE14. There may be some sticker shock at first but you will be more than happy that your started off with the PE14. Ask me how I know. :)

It can't be discontinued already. It has only been on the market 5 years. However to be certain a replacement isn't due in the near future, hold off until SEMA week when new tools will be introduced.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/37831-bumblebee-testing-out-new-dewalt-dwp849x.html

choijw2
10-11-2016, 11:17 AM
My first polisher ever was rotary polisher from harbor fright, around 5 years ago
but been wanted to pick up a rotary polisher again.

PE-14 is great machine, but I don't think I cant justify the price, picking up rupes 21es as big jump as well haha

but if it's discontinued at the moment, for updated model sometime soon,
I'd rather wait and see what comes out next.

maybe its just homedepot, but I wanna make sure.

Setec Astronomy
10-11-2016, 11:19 AM
maybe its just homedepot, but I wanna make sure.

You can't go by that, it probably just doesn't sell at HD. When I first got on detailing forums, they were selling PC's at Lowes...well they stopped selling them there shortly after that, but it wasn't because they were discontinuing them or updating them (this was years and years before the XP).

choijw2
10-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Just checked dewalt website to find all the stores that sell DEWALT DWP849X and most of them are out of stock
including HD and lowes except few small family owned tool store.

hmmm.

Setec Astronomy
10-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Just checked dewalt website to find all the stores that sell DEWALT DWP849X and most of them are out of stock
including HD and lowes except few small family owned tool store.

hmmm.

Ok, well if it's all that...maybe you are on to something...maybe a new career as an investigative journalist. As Mike said, wait for SEMA.

MattPersman
10-11-2016, 11:31 AM
The Makita rotary is nice too but perhaps as stated SEMA will come with a new desalt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setec Astronomy
10-11-2016, 11:33 AM
We're only a few weeks away...I'm not sure that DeWalt is a company that would use SEMA as a product intro, but I might not know what I'm talking about.

Zubair
10-11-2016, 11:40 AM
We're only a few weeks away...I'm not sure that DeWalt is a company that would use SEMA as a product intro, but I might not know what I'm talking about.

Agreed, Dewalt and Makita are not the Sema type market like Rupes or Flex.

choijw2
10-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Guess I will just sit on it

I am moving in Nov anyways lol

Btw any way to attach 3" pads on Flex 3401?
If 3401 had more option for smaller pads, that would be good direction as well.

cars these days have so many curves and tight accent area, need forced rotation
Also need it for gel coat....

man... polishing gel coat with DA.... what a nightmare it was lol

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Btw any way to attach 3" pads on Flex 3401?
If 3401 had more option for smaller pads, that would be good direction as well.

cars these days have so many curves and tight accent area, need forced rotation
Also need it for gel coat....

man... polishing gel coat with DA.... what a nightmare it was lol

Nope. Smallest plate/pads you can run on the 3401 are 4".

I too wish there was a mini gear driven DA that would run a 3" pad.

rmagnus
10-11-2016, 03:38 PM
I been looking into getting a rotary
and leaning towards to dewalt because its easier on wallet compare to FLEX
espeically for someone who doesnt detail fulltime.

anyways,

I was going to pull the trigger soon, but it says, discontinued
at local hardware stores.

are they coming out with updated model or so?

See post #3. Take it as gospel.

Forget the sticker price, buy onces cry once or wait for a sale. I too have the Dewalt it's old school. The PE14 is new school. Light years of differences. Your back and arms will thank you many times over using the PE14. Love my rotaries but I own DA's as well and you guessed it the lead DA is the 3401.

PC is a dedicated 3" polisher, the 3401 has 5" pads on it. The PE14 gets 5" & 1" pads. Smaller pads on the PE14 are awesome. My Dewalt gathers dust. Don't get me wrong the Dewalt is a proven machine but it's overly big and heavy. New school is the way to go.

choijw2
10-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Urgggg, you guys are killing me hahaha

MAYBE, I will wait little more and pull my trigger on PE-14 instead xD
If money wasn't the issue, I would def go with FLEX, no questions.