PDA

View Full Version : Protecting/Preventing corrosion in my spotless engine and engine bay in my New vehicle

Pages : [1] 2

GOTURBACK
10-11-2016, 09:14 AM
I am looking for something that could be applied in hard to access areas which would be not possible to be wiped down afterwords, deep in the recesses of the engine, and engine bay. I have a new vehicle with a spotless engine and engine bay and would like to find a product that would make future cleaning easier, and preserve/protect/ and prevent the corrosion of metal and plastic components.
Sonus was reccomended by a forum member and looks like it might be the best option for my intended use, it is a new vehicle.
I do not want to have to try and strip the factory applied protectant, the engine looks spotless can I just apply the product to it as it sits?

Setec Astronomy
10-11-2016, 09:17 AM
What factory-applied protectant?

GOTURBACK
10-11-2016, 09:24 AM
I had read here on the forum that new vehicles now come with some type of protection on the engine to prevent corrosion from the manufacturer, it was stated to remove it before applying the Sonus product. I am new to this, so any advice is appreciated just trying to learn and do my best to maintain my $40,000 investment.

What factory-applied protectant?

WaxMaster1
10-11-2016, 09:25 AM
If you have a car which comes across the Atlantic like my BMW, there will be yellowish, kinda gooey Cosmoline all over it which is to prevent corrosion. If you'd like to add some corrosion resistance, LPS is a brand which comes to mind. They have Corrosion Inhibitor. It is great, but wouldn't look so great. Also, what kind of car/truck are you driving? Most modern engine compartments are nothing more than a big black plastic shroud.

Setec Astronomy
10-11-2016, 09:47 AM
I had read here on the forum that new vehicles now come with some type of protection on the engine to prevent corrosion from the manufacturer, it was stated to remove it before applying the Sonus product. I am new to this, so any advice is appreciated just trying to learn and do my best to maintain my $40,000 investment.

If you have a car which comes across the Atlantic like my BMW, there will be yellowish, kinda gooey Cosmoline all over it which is to prevent corrosion. If you'd like to add some corrosion resistance, LPS is a brand which comes to mind. They have Corrosion Inhibitor. It is great, but wouldn't look so great. Also, what kind of car/truck are you driving? Most modern engine compartments are nothing more than a big black plastic shroud.

Yes, some vehicles, particularly ones that are ocean shipped, have that Cosmoline stuff on them, which is going to have to be removed before applying something like the Sonus Trim and Motor Kote (or whatever it's called). But as Waxmaster1 noted, that's only going to be on the metal surfaces, which I'm not sure are really going to be helped by the Sonus product. The "factory coating" is only a transit protection, it's not meant for long term protection (I don't think), it's going to get all kinds of dust and crap stuck in it.

GOTURBACK
10-11-2016, 10:37 AM
It's a 2016 Chevrolet Colorado pickup, the engine is spotless, all metal components are pristine engine block, ac compressor, alternator, starter etc. if it's in there it's spotless. Yes there is some plastic which would benefit from being treated to DLux or Wolfgang ETS I am looking to try and prevent corrosion on all surfaces in the engine bay.

Setec Astronomy
10-11-2016, 10:55 AM
I guess spraying with a chassis protection product like Bare Bones, Griot's Undercarriage, or even Meg's Hyper Dressing diluted, would work. Of course I just read the Sonus description, and it does say it can be used on cast aluminum. So to answer your original question, yes, it seems like a good idea, but IMO you're going to need to wash it down with something before application, there is going to be some residual something on the metal parts that is going to keep the Motor Kote from adhering.

LSNAutoDetailing
10-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Congrats on the new Colorado. Those are really nice looking trucks.

How long do you plan on keeping the truck? Most Alt, compressors, starters are replaced at some point, those are serviceable replaceable parts... So unless they're chrome, I wouldn't worry about them.

I would use the Wolfgang Total Engine Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-total-engine-cleaner.html) and follow up on the painted parts, i.e. strut towers, under hood, etc, with Pinnacle Crystal Mist or some kind of sealant. Do this every few months.

This is a 9 year old DD with a 145K miles on it, of New England driving and weather!

https://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/NDMyMDBENDRBMDdEQzFGODRDQUY6MDQzNGFlZjFlNjJhMzc1Mz AwMmY5MjFhNDE1YWRhNjY=?uid=78f2554b-cd5e-4f16-840b-08aafb40fa62

This is from the new Silverado I just detailed, aside from the intake plenum the rest is pretty much all plastic:

https://cache.nebula.phx3.secureserver.net/obj/NDMyMDBENDRBMDdEQzFGODRDQUY6Yzc4MzhkNzIyN2ZjNWQ4OT EzNDFhODEwYWU2ODlmZmY=?uid=4ccd76e5-07aa-45fd-9ddb-760fe8cc8f94

Setec Astronomy
10-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Most Alt, compressors, starters are replaced at some point, those are serviceable replaceable parts... So unless they're chrome, I wouldn't worry about them.

Holy cow, are you a pessimist!

This is from the new Silverado I just detailed, aside from the intake plenum the rest is pretty much all plastic:

I would be shocked if that plenum wasn't plastic just on GP's, plus why would they have painted it black if it was metal/aluminum? If it sounded a lot harder it's cuz they use a high fill on those kind of parts vs. the shrouds, etc.

MattPersman
10-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Most intakes are plastic now days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LSNAutoDetailing
10-11-2016, 01:00 PM
[QUOTE=Setec Astronomy;1432350]Holy cow, are you a pessimist!

That is why I asked how long he was keeping the truck. Are they chrome plated?

Ebg18t
10-11-2016, 01:07 PM
. I am new to this, so any advice is appreciated just trying to learn and do my best to maintain my $40,000 investment.

A 'regular car' is not an investment; generally do not appreciate in value.

In the engine bay I have been using the same Sonus Motor coat that others have mentioned. It works well.

LSNAutoDetailing
10-11-2016, 01:10 PM
A 'regular car' is not an investment; generally do not appreciate in value.

pessimist! :)
Figured I'd call you that before setec does... ;)

I haven't used Motor Coat, but have used and use Bare Bones. Bare Bones is a bit oily and I don't know if that is something one should be spraying in the engine bay, especially on the components in question (alternator, compressor, etc..).

Most of these said components are cast die, and to be quite honest, I don't know if they need "protection". Manufacturers run these parts and engines for hunderds of thousands of miles, i.e. Lincoln TC's as livery cars, Police Crown Vics...

I live 50 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, in a snow/ice/sand/salt environment and I think regular maintenance, using the the Wolf Gang Engine Product, QD's, rinsless washes on a regular basis, keeping the engine bay clean will suffice, as I showed in a 9 year old DD with 145K miles.

For the plastics I use BLACKFIRE AIO Tire and Trim Cleaner Protectant, and for the tight areas, I spray McKee's Trim Detailer. All painted parts are treated with Pinnacle Crystal Mist.

Ebg18t
10-11-2016, 04:31 PM
pessimist! :)
Figured I'd call you that before setec does... ;)

Lol..

Once I use up my Sonus I will move onto my gallon of BF AIO tire & Trim. I think it will do about as good. But I haven't used it in the engine bay yet.

Ancient1
10-12-2016, 12:16 PM
On mine I used Sonus motor and trim Kote except the painted areas which I did with Hydro2. Seems like a good combination.
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/Ancient_11/Uber/2016-06-12%2014.42.48.jpg~original