PDA

View Full Version : Oldie but Goldie - Shmitt - Cleaning Wheelwells

chefwong
10-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Anybody know if any retailer is still selling the black schmitt...Love this thing to death

Drove through some construction zone - unavoidable.
Concrete splatter wheelwhells, front door , upper and lower rockers.

Blasted it with the PW . 25 degree did not make a dent.
15 degree tip removed most off the paint.

Did not make a dent at all on the wheelwells. 30% clean on the rocker panels.
Ended up using my tried and trust Black Shmitt to scour/clean these areas.

Love the black schmitt when working on rough surfaces that need a scrub...

Just curious. What other tools in your arsenal would you use.

Setec Astronomy
10-10-2016, 08:45 AM
I think Aaron is too busy making kitchen scrubbers to make any of the car products he used to make. His getiapstuff website shows as "under construction". The only IAP product still sold here is this one: Innovative Accessory Products, IAP, Edge ShMitt, Edge 2000, Microfiber apron, scrub daddy, detailing tools (http://www.autogeek.net/innovative-products.html) Optimum held on to the ShMITT for a long time but they seem to have dropped it in favor of the BRS, or they just couldn't get the ShMITT anymore.

What other tool would I use? A brush, or an old mitt or wash sponge dedicated for that type of duty.

chefwong
10-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Setec - Nice link Setec. Who knew mr. edge was mr. scrub daddy itself !!!

Love the black schmitt. it's the coarsest cleaning tool on my arsenal. It allows me to feel-while scrubbing. I suppose a long stiff brush would be fine for wheelwells, but I always use the PW. It's just the mechanical agitation that was needed to actually disembed the concrete from said areas.

Setec Astronomy
10-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Setec - Nice link Setec. Who knew mr. edge was mr. scrub daddy itself !!!

Yeah, he sold Edge to 3M (where it seems to have died), he kept the stuff they weren't interested in (I guess), but all that stuff seems to have fallen aside to the Scrub Daddy.

215Detailing
10-11-2016, 05:37 PM
I too loved the black shmitt hard to find, but i have a stash of about three left now, a local chemical detailing company had them for sale about two years ago on clearance so I got like six, ever now and again they will pop up in the search engine. sorry can't be of more help

215Detailing
10-11-2016, 05:55 PM
hope I am not in violation but since it's discontinued on AUTOGEEK: hope this helps:Black Wheel ShMITT Wash Mitt (Part# E-802) - O'Donnell's Auto Parts, L.L.C. (http://www.odonnellsautoparts.com/black-wheel-shmitt-wash-mitt-part-e-802/)

chefwong
10-12-2016, 07:57 AM
I briefly looked online and looked at some brushes online.
I don't see anything that/can would replace this oldie goldie

For the rare times I will need a *black shmitt* to clean a area in a wheelwell that the PW won't tackle (I'll admit, the last time I used my black schmitt was maybe 2 years ago), even though my arm may get dirty....the schmitt is superior in a brush in that it can get into curvatures, crevices, etc....

And back to the OP. The wand I was using has a flexiable boot that allows me to angle the PW tip any way I want (it's not a straight wand). So even though I have the angle of spray in all different directions/angles/etc, that crete was not coming off without some mechanical agitation..