PDA

View Full Version : Help ! Ran into a problem

Thenissanguy
10-09-2016, 01:41 PM
Yesterday i started the rear door of the trailer, i washed it and dried it then followed up with the meguiars flagship premium wax(by hand) and wow it came our amazing! but today I was waxing the side of my Rv (toyhauler with gelcoat) today in the morning and i noticed when i tried to buff off the was it was very hard to remove and dried up rather quick. Some spots were shiny and some were very dull . I got a few pictures to give you an idea of the problem i am facing......

Mike lambert
10-09-2016, 01:49 PM
Re apply it but wipe it right off. I think the gel coat is probably dry

Thenissanguy
10-09-2016, 01:52 PM
ok i will try that right now see if it fixes my problem .
UPDATE: that did nothing , still looks the same

GSKR
10-09-2016, 03:04 PM
Re apply it but wipe it right off. I think the gel coat is probably dry

Agree.

GSKR
10-09-2016, 03:07 PM
ok i will try that right now see if it fixes my problem .
UPDATE: that did nothing , still looks the same
You need a process to clean and rejuvenate the gelcoat.The wax is drying in the gelcoat.None of this is achievable by hand.

Thenissanguy
10-09-2016, 03:30 PM
You need a process to clean and rejuvenate the gelcoat.The wax is drying in the gelcoat.None of this is achievable by hand.

Can you elaborate more on this...?

Thenissanguy
10-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Do i need a dual action polisher for this ?

GSKR
10-09-2016, 08:00 PM
Yes if you want to pull out the oxidation.On those trailers the paint is really thin.Stick with the menzerna line for gelcoat.Staining with colored polishes are a promblem it will stain.menzerna 3 in one should be fine with the pics you posted.Even though it's a aio which means it cuts polishes and seal,I would go over it anyway with a quality wax like collinite 845.Griots has a finishing sealant used in conjunction with your da .It has great reviews but I haven't tried it yet.when you get your da slow steady arm speed,other wise you will get highs and low spots.Stick with foam buff and shine pads.micro pads generate to much heat on gel coat,and matting happens which means it won't shine kinda like flat paint with a little gloss to it.

Thenissanguy
10-09-2016, 08:26 PM
Yes if you want to pull out the oxidation.On those trailers the paint is really thin.Stick with the menzerna line for gelcoat.Staining with colored polishes are a promblem it will stain.menzerna 3 in one should be fine with the pics you posted.Even though it's a aio which means it cuts polishes and seal,I would go over it anyway with a quality wax like collinite 845.Griots has a finishing sealant used in conjunction with your da .It has great reviews but I haven't tried it yet.when you get your da slow steady arm speed,other wise you will get highs and low spots.Stick with foam buff and shine pads.micro pads generate to much heat on gel coat,and matting happens which means it won't shine kinda like flat paint with a little gloss to it.

Thanks i will see if my budget allows for for a DA right now funds are a little tight . I applied a little but of chemical guys classic paste wax and it shined really well there were no dry spots just the shine i was looking for .... Do you know why is that?