PDA

View Full Version : Help/Thoughts: Problems with Blackfire Crystal Coat

WeekendDIY
10-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Hello, Hope all you southeast folks made thru Michael OK.

I was wondering if I could get some help with BF Crystal Coat. This is my first time using it. This past May I did a 3 step on my car (clayed, compound, Polish, LSP, whole nine yards). So this fall I wanted to do a coating. I polished the car with HD polish and a polishing pad. I then used BF Paint Prep. I picked a small rear quarter panel (driver side) where I had a natural break/seam where the panels met to test.

I shook the bottle well and used two different applicators (CarPro and the yellow like in the video). I'm really not sure how to describe it. It's like it was foggy and/or gummy. I only put a few drops on the pad(s). And the whole idea of using a MF to buff and take out any high spots was an absolute no go. The MF was sticking and the MF was dragging and pulling. I tried waiting a bit to see how it would dry and it just didn't look right. So I was able to use the Paint Prep and wipe it off. I tried about another 4 times with different applicators and amount. I really wanted to wait longer than the about two minutes that I was but I was getting nervous.

I don't mean to compare products and I'm not really because they are different. But I was expecting something along the lines of WG Deep Gloss Liquid Seal. Again, I know they're different products. But I was expecting a little bit more of the quick flashing and then drying. Maybe that's not how coatings work, at BF.

I ended up putting on Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint sealant because I wanted something for the fall and winter.

Anyway, I know there is a BF sub forum and a thread about this possible same issue but I really didn't see any resolution. When I first read it back in early summer I had just bought on a BOGO deal. So maybe it was a bad batch.

As your facing he picture on the left: Look at the clarity difference with both hands and then my wrist and forearm on the right is foggy/blurry. The lower right hand side of that first pic is where I applied the BFCC.

The second pic is simply the whole area where I applied the product, foggy look.

Hope all that made sense. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm not criticizing the product. I have other BF products and I do think they make a good product.

MattPersman
10-09-2016, 09:02 AM
Just about everyone has had problems with the crystal coat. I think if you are wearing shorts it's too warm to apply it. I have tried it like 10 times the only time I got it to work was when it was like 50 degrees outside. And it's almost wipe on wipe off

Most of the bottles I think start to cute before you use them the packaging does not keep them fresh.

Many complaints no resolution

It's a great concept a giant bottle of "coating" for the price of a small syringe but it hasn't worked out in the buyers favor very often only PBMG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSKR
10-09-2016, 10:30 AM
Take it and get a refund .

medicscott
10-09-2016, 11:16 AM
In no way am I "bashing" the product. But I returned every bottle I bought. Stuff is almost impossible to put on when compared to the other PBMG coatings they offer which are amazing. Stick with Wolfgang, Pinnacle or McKees and you'll be much happier.

WeekendDIY
10-10-2016, 09:16 AM
I'm going to reach out to CS service and see what options I have. It was about 70 degrees and was in the garage so I don't either environment is coming into play or that I am applying wrong. It's seems to be pretty straight forward. Or it's supposed to be anyway.

Desertnate
10-11-2016, 08:03 AM
I too had the same experience, if not worse. After two attempts, I tossed the bottle and wrote it off as a learning experience.

The first attempt was late summer in high heat/humidity and no matter what I tried regarding amount of product, working area or delay between application and high spot removal, I could not get it to spread properly or get rid of high spots. Second attempt in 60 degree weather and low humidity was WORSE! The application pad would stick to the surface while I was spreading it, and when trying to remove high spots it was so sticky, it was pulling threads out of my MF towels.

I know some here have been able to get it to work and I've watched the video's, but I don't know how they pulled it off. I couldn't even get the product to spread, let alone remove high spots. Sadly, it is only one of 2~3 products in the entire catalog sold here at Autogeek I've tried which I'd recommend people not purchase. Do yourself a favor and go with the McKee's 37 Paint Coating. You won't be disappointed.

WeekendDIY
10-16-2016, 12:53 PM
I reached out to Nick. As expected he worked out an arrangement to my satisfaction. I use several other BF products and I've been very pleased. With that said I'm confident the environment and my process(es) were within spec. For whatever reason it just didn't want to play nice for me. I got no complaints though. Everything is a learning experience.

I then placed an order completely outside and separate from what Nick worked with me on lol.

Thx Nick, it's much appreciated.

WeekendDIY
10-19-2016, 10:28 AM
OK....I'm going to ask a question I pretty much already know the answer to.

Can I put a coating on top of a 10 day old polish and sealant application.

I really don't want to polish the car again but really want to have a coating applied.

Any suggestions? Or is it simply leave the sealant until time and washing runs it course or polish to remove sealant then apply coating.

The Guz
10-19-2016, 10:41 AM
OK....I'm going to ask a question I pretty much already know the answer to.

Can I put a coating on top of a 10 day old polish and sealant application.

I really don't want to polish the car again but really want to have a coating applied.

Any suggestions? Or is it simply leave the sealant until time and washing runs it course or polish to remove sealant then apply coating.

Leave it on or polish it off. The coating will not bond properly.

Desertnate
10-19-2016, 11:44 AM
While I agree with Guz, I think I'd polish no matter how long you wait. If I'm going to put down a coating which lasts much longer than a wax or sealant, I'd want the surface to be as clean and defect free as possible.

rlmccarty2000
10-19-2016, 06:05 PM
No.