PDA

View Full Version : Help me teach my high school class- Auto Detailing 101!

gijoe985
10-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Hello everyone!

So I have taught car washing, some buffing and polishing stuff in the past, but this year (with our new online Canvas course setup) I want to start from scratch. I teach high school auto shop in a high poverty area. For what it is worth, I teach a very low key, bread and butter, down to the basics, type course. I've used the info on the Auto Geek website and forum for years, but a lot of it is just too much for my students to take in. I want your help!

To create a typical high school "unit" you need to lay out the main topics you will be covering, and then a list of standards and substandards in for each part. FOr an example, I have a "Vehicle ID" unit. We learn what a make is. What a model is. I have a whole mini lesson on what makes are made in what countries. How to identify a V8 vs an I4 or V6. All this stuff is new for my students. I have a whole quiz where they identify the Toyota logo, the Honda logo, Hyundai, Chevrolet, etc. Basically, I just wanted you guys to see how simple I like to keep things. Most these kids are the ones who leave scratches all over your car as the footbal team tries to do a car wash fundraiser.

What I need-
A few main subjects to cover (pretty basic, I may do an advanced unit later [I may even hold of on buffing and include that in my paint and body unit).
A list of "standards" that we will be trying to teach them in each main subject. The idea is that I may give them 30 bits of good info, but at the end of the day, bare minimum, what are the 10 things that we absolutely want them to know.

I think covering most of the points on the flowchart here (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)from the Auto Geek how to section would be great. A lesson on washing, using clay, compound vs swirl remover vs polish, glaze (maybe?), wax, etc. I used to just use the Meguairs 5 step program as an outline.

I also need to decide what other detailing topics to include. Interior detailing? Vacuuming? Shampooing? In the end, I'd love for my students who pass the course to be able to detail cars. They would know what to do, inside and out, to make a car look good.

The Auto Geek articles are good, but also a bit much for many of my students. I may take the info and use it as a base to build of of, but trim it down some. We shall see. ..

srpurdy
10-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Hi,

That is really cool that you're doing that kind of work. Props to you.

This is a semi basic outline with sections and sub sections. I don't know if it's too complex but auto detailing is a complex subject so making it straight forward is challenging. I guess that's why your here!

This is an outline. I don't know if you actually want specfics on each section?

1. Washing
- Using Proper washing techniques
-- Pre Soak (removing loose dirt)
-- Two bucket method
-- Straight Line strokes using the wash medium.
-- Washing the vehicle from top to bottom
-- Final Rinse
-- Drying
-- Blow Drying
-- Towel Drying
-- Do's and Don'ts
-> (Could be a list of things like, why not to scrub you dirty wash medium on the suface)
-> Don't let soap dry on the paint surface. If you need to rinse inbetween sections (top middle, bottom, then do so.)
-> Don't use harsh soaps or chemicals during the wash process unless they are needed to remove old wax layers.. I am sure you can come up with some more.

2. Claying
- When to clay?
- How to clay
- Why is claying needed?
- Do's and Don'ts to Claying
- Alternate Claying methods (nanoskin, iron-x etc)

(This should probably be an advanced class)
3. Compounds and Polishing Paint
- When to polish
- When not to polish
-> Paint is too thin
-> Paint is in acceptable condition under the circumstances
- What pad / compound to choose.
-> Hard Paint or Soft Paint and how to determines the compounds and pads used to get results.
- Removing polishing oils
- Inspecting Results
- Polishing techniques (How to use a buffer)
- What is Clear Coat
- Deeper Scratches
-> Wet Sanding
- Do's and Don'ts

I leave out coatings as this will add complexity to the outline.
4. Waxes & Sealants
- Applying Wax or Sealants
-> By Hand
-> By Machine
- Buffing Off Wax or Sealants
- Layering Waxes & Sealants
- When Waxes & Sealants should be re-applied

5. Long Term Maintenance (Quick Detailers and Spray Waxes)
- Regular Washes
- When to use a spray wax
- When to use a Quick Detailer
- Do's and Don'ts

6. Microfiber Products
- Types of Towels and their uses.
- Why use microfiber?
- Towel Management (Folding, dry side, wet side)
- Towel Maintenance
- Do's and Dont's

7. Exterior Plastic & Windows
- Cleaning & Protection of Exterior Plastics
- Cleaning of Exterior Windows
- Do's and Don'ts

8. Tire Cleaning & Dressings
- Water Based Dressings
- Oil Based Dressings
- Tire Cleaning Surface Preperation

9. Interior Detailing
- Method (Cleaning from top to bottom
- Types of Cleaners to Use
- Vacuming and Shampooing Carpets and Seats
- Removing Stains
- Removing Excess Water/Liquid
- Cleaning of Surfaces, Plastic, Leather, Windows Etc.
- Using Brushes & Types of Brushes
- Interior Protection
- Do's and Dont's (Like leaving windows to do last to avoid cleaning mutiple times. Excess water can cause mold and rust of the undercariage.)

I know maybe this is too much, I am probably missing a few things, but that seems like a decent outline to me. :) I purposly left out Engine Bay, and Metal polishing things like this I think are more advanced, and not really basics. So hopefully that helps you. :)

gijoe985
10-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Wow! That's an awesome reply. I've already started working on some of this. It has shown me where I have a few gaps. It has also shown me where I need to learn some stuff myself! The shop teacher is the jack of all trades. I also teach woods, but auto is my favorite and specialty. That said, detailing is not my specialty. Like, as of now I have no real formal approach to interior cleaning. I've done paint and body, so most of the paint stuff I'm familiar with. I'll have to tackle these things one at a time. I'll reply again soon with some additional questions about each section. Like Do's and Don'ts for interior. Etc.

gijoe985
10-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Just noticed that your 1-5 is basically the Meguiar's 5 step system... Which is what I used to teach, but I like the flow chart from Auto Geek better. More details... I'll refer to both.

shadwell
10-09-2016, 11:04 PM
Just noticed that your 1-5 is basically the Meguiar's 5 step system... Which is what I used to teach, but I like the flow chart from Auto Geek better. More details... I'll refer to both.

Personally the first thing I believe they need to know is about the subject matter ie paint technology....

ie what is auto paint, now is it applied and what types and characteristics exist ...
most important being that it's a delicate and layered... And just how thin these layers are...with
this they may understand why "maintaining the paint" actually requires so consideration and care.

With that on board I'd then progress to the types of dirt / contamination that exist.. , as different things may need a different approach, so again it takes. A little thought..

Next I'd finish the intro by explaining things which are done in the name of car acre which actually damage paint...
Ie some examples of swirled damaged and perhaps sun damaged paint....

With that foundation laid, I would now lead into "so here's how to do it right".... And straight into the great info provided above....

all the best ...

srpurdy
10-11-2016, 07:12 AM

No problem, You can even send me a pm if you like. :)

Cruzscarwash
10-11-2016, 03:31 PM
Hello everyone!

So I have taught car washing, some buffing and polishing stuff in the past, but this year (with our new online Canvas course setup) I want to start from scratch. I teach high school auto shop in a high poverty area. For what it is worth, I teach a very low key, bread and butter, down to the basics, type course. I've used the info on the Auto Geek website and forum for years, but a lot of it is just too much for my students to take in. I want your help!

To create a typical high school "unit" you need to lay out the main topics you will be covering, and then a list of standards and substandards in for each part. FOr an example, I have a "Vehicle ID" unit. We learn what a make is. What a model is. I have a whole mini lesson on what makes are made in what countries. How to identify a V8 vs an I4 or V6. All this stuff is new for my students. I have a whole quiz where they identify the Toyota logo, the Honda logo, Hyundai, Chevrolet, etc. Basically, I just wanted you guys to see how simple I like to keep things. Most these kids are the ones who leave scratches all over your car as the footbal team tries to do a car wash fundraiser.

What I need-
A few main subjects to cover (pretty basic, I may do an advanced unit later [I may even hold of on buffing and include that in my paint and body unit).
A list of "standards" that we will be trying to teach them in each main subject. The idea is that I may give them 30 bits of good info, but at the end of the day, bare minimum, what are the 10 things that we absolutely want them to know.

I think covering most of the points on the flowchart here (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)from the Auto Geek how to section would be great. A lesson on washing, using clay, compound vs swirl remover vs polish, glaze (maybe?), wax, etc. I used to just use the Meguairs 5 step program as an outline.

I also need to decide what other detailing topics to include. Interior detailing? Vacuuming? Shampooing? In the end, I'd love for my students who pass the course to be able to detail cars. They would know what to do, inside and out, to make a car look good.

The Auto Geek articles are good, but also a bit much for many of my students. I may take the info and use it as a base to build of of, but trim it down some. We shall see. ..

where are you located?

gijoe985
10-12-2016, 11:44 AM
where are you located?

Grandview Washington