PDA

View Full Version : Shredding Foam Pads - at what point should they be discarded?

MattyL
10-08-2016, 08:24 AM
I have a few LC Hydro-tech pads, along with some other regular flat pads, that have begun to shred some of their material, but not much. My question is- how compromised (if at all) are foam pads, with regard to their usefulness and effectiveness, when this occurs? If they are indeed compromised, why (i.e. non uniform surface touching the paint, possibly)? At what point do you stop using/discard foam pads that start to experience shredding?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

/Matt/

Eldorado2k
10-08-2016, 12:06 PM
It seems like you would be the best person to let us know instead of the other way around.. You've got the Hydro Shreds, put them to the test and let us know.:)

LSNAutoDetailing
10-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Matt, how many pads do you use when doing a car?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

If you are following a constant routine of switching out pads, they shouldn't be shredding... I typically use 6 to compound, 4 to polish and one for LSP.
I keep a bucket of water with a LC Snappy Clean mix, and as I finish with one pad, off it goes into the bucket.
They last much longer switching them out every few panels.