PDA

View Full Version : Found a way to fix the Metabo overheating problem

Pages : [1] 2

FMINUS
11-04-2007, 12:54 AM
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/2053/dsc03332vl5.jpg

Gary Sword
11-04-2007, 07:00 AM
I have never had an over heating problem with mine but that's one way to deal with it. There's usually a few spots on a car I perfer to use my PC on so the metabo gets a break.

budman3
11-04-2007, 10:42 AM
I was thinking of getting a Metabo but I wasn't aware of any heating issues. Does the machine just get hot or does it stop working from the overheating? Do you think the machine is defective or could it be something like using the wrong gauge extension cord?

Gary Sword
11-04-2007, 12:44 PM
I was thinking of getting a Metabo but I wasn't aware of any heating issues. Does the machine just get hot or does it stop working from the overheating? Do you think the machine is defective or could it be something like using the wrong gauge extension cord?

My metabo has never over heated. I love it.

MikeyC
11-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Man! You have all the toys. I'm jealous.

FMINUS
11-04-2007, 07:31 PM
My metabo has never over heated. I love it.

If you use it at low speeds with frequent on/off operation it will get really hot/ shut off. Or I found if you use pads bigger than 5.5 and put pressure on the machine, it will shut off also.

But STILL my favorite buffer BY FAR!

maesal
11-05-2007, 02:58 AM
Is a known problem from this machine. It doesn't like working at low speeds and, with this low speeds, applying pressure. If the machine shut off, just turn it on @6 in the air and the problem will be solved.

Tex Star Detail
11-05-2007, 09:20 AM
I studied that pic for a while, trying to find out how you solved the overheating problem.........Boy do I feel dumb now.....:D

I am thinking very heavily on getting one...... Almost pushed the order button last night. Maybe this week I will.... :righton:

Surfer
11-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Man I must be blind b/c I don't get it lol?

Jimmie
11-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Man I must be blind b/c I don't get it lol?

I think it's one gets hot, then switch to...............

Totoland Mach
11-05-2007, 05:01 PM
I've had the overheat problem as well. It primarily happened with a wool pad/low rpm/big backing plate. And, the other culprit was running off the same extension cord as the dual shop halogens.

Now, I use either the small backing plate for 6" pads or the Meguiar's So1o pad (halfway between small and large) and use a dedicated 12 guage extension cord. Hasn't run even warm since.

For wool or using compound at slow speeds, I use the Dynabrade rotary which is a workhorse.

Toto

FMINUS
11-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Is a known problem from this machine. It doesn't like working at low speeds and, with this low speeds, applying pressure. If the machine shut off, just turn it on @6 in the air and the problem will be solved.

Yea that works until the machine gets heated again after 2 min

I think it's one gets hot, then switch to...............

:cheers:

I've had the overheat problem as well. It primarily happened with a wool pad/low rpm/big backing plate. And, the other culprit was running off the same extension cord as the dual shop halogens.

Now, I use either the small backing plate for 6" pads or the Meguiar's So1o pad (halfway between small and large) and use a dedicated 12 guage extension cord. Hasn't run even warm since.

For wool or using compound at slow speeds, I use the Dynabrade rotary which is a workhorse.

Toto

I was thinking of buying a Hitachi, but I just LOVE the Metabo!

jesselyons2002
11-05-2007, 09:38 PM
I was thinking of buying a Hitachi, but I just LOVE the Metabo!

I thought you already had a hitachi ???

FMINUS
11-05-2007, 10:39 PM
I thought you already had a hitachi ???
I had the Hitachi before I sold it to get the Metabo.

maesal
11-06-2007, 02:27 AM
Yea that works until the machine gets heated again after 2 min

This only happened to me when I started with the buffer 1.5 years ago, when I applied pressure running the machine slow. Since I changed the way of buffing, 0 problems.