PDA

View Full Version : Legit Question regarding wax and quick detailers

srpurdy
10-07-2016, 03:57 PM
Hi guys,

Detailing 101 says if you put a wax on top of a sealant because wax can stick and bond to sealant but sealant can't bond to wax. So my question is: There is a lot of quick detailers on the market and even spray waxes that are purely polymer based. Like D156 and Sonax. So if you have a wax on your car are these products really bonding the way they are intended too? Or are we just wasting product? Like for example if you have a wax wouldn't it be more wise to use an actual natural wax spray as maintenance? Or does it not matter? This has bugged me recently because from what I read on these forums it seems people mix and match these things all the time. So maybe someone can explain to me the chemistry? and why it would be okay?

Thanks!

Eldorado2k
10-07-2016, 04:50 PM
Hi guys,

Detailing 101 says if you put a wax on top of a sealant because wax can stick and bond to sealant but sealant can't bond to wax. So my question is: There is a lot of quick detailers on the market and even spray waxes that are purely polymer based. Like D156 and Sonax. So if you have a wax on your car are these products really bonding the way they are intended too? Or are we just wasting product? Like for example if you have a wax wouldn't it be more wise to use an actual natural wax spray as maintenance? Or does it not matter? This has bugged me recently because from what I read on these forums it seems people mix and match these things all the time. So maybe someone can explain to me the chemistry? and why it would be okay?

Thanks!

I'm of the belief that whatever you have on your paint will become what you top it with. So even if you had Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Paste Wax on your paint, if you went and topped it with Blackfire Carnauba spray wax, welcome to Blackfire Spray Wax, that is what you now have to protect your vehicles paint.

In the case you're asking about as far as topping wax with a spray sealant, then even more so.. Don't ask me to explain the chemistry, I explain it in common sense.:)

Eldorado2k
10-07-2016, 04:54 PM
There are some spray waxes available these days that claim to "boost" your existing layer of protection. Whether they really work or not I don't know, because I've never used them. My example is something such as D156 and similar spray products.

FUNX650
10-07-2016, 08:21 PM
Detailing 101 says if you put a wax
on top of a sealant because wax can
stick and bond to sealant but sealant
can't bond to wax.

So my question is:
There is a lot of quick detailers on the
market and even spray waxes that are
purely polymer based.
Like D156 and Sonax.

So if you have a wax on your car
are these products really bonding
the way they are intended too?

•What if the Detailing 101 factoids
you posted are not 100% factual...
-Then what?

•On the other hand...let's say, for
the sake of this bonding-discussion,
that they happen to be 100% true.

Then...this inquiry of yours:

if you have a wax on your car
are these products really bonding
the way they are intended too?

Begs the following question:

-How far apart can two carbon atoms
be, and still have some type/types of
bonding occur?

Bob

fightnews
10-08-2016, 07:27 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks! well a sealant is a synthetic wax so there's really no difference, you want to put the sealant on first so the polymers can cross kink and form a shield? its better to do that on clean paint, plus the synthetic wax is more durable so u wouldnt want to put a more durable product on to a less durable product, so in closing, i have no clue what im talking about i just do it the recommended way by consensus

Setec Astronomy
10-08-2016, 07:47 AM
Detailing 101 says if you put a wax on top of a sealant because wax can stick and bond to sealant but sealant can't bond to wax.

This wisdom came at a time when there were no spray waxes. People were putting LSP on their car to last for 3 months, 6 months, through a salt-belt winter. If you're applying a spray wax after every wash, I don't care whether it's "bonding" or not, it will be fine for a week until you wash again.