PDA

View Full Version : Dent and chip on new car

lsuwhodat
10-07-2016, 11:48 AM
So I bought my wife a 2016 Pilot Touring last weekend. It was a demo with 3k miles. 3 things jumped out at me from the onset. The windshield was chipped, the car was covered in tree sap, and third there was a rock ding / chip on the hood.

They swapped the windshield, washed the car[emoji15], and pulled the dent out. Oh they filled it with touch up paint also but didn't sand buff etc.

I have never wet sanded before. I have a few spots on my car, a 2005 crv, that I can test out, but what are everyone's thoughts on the Dr. Chip thing?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161007/450ce00fe609fdca9eefe7fd683cb7fb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GSKR
10-07-2016, 12:17 PM
I heard nothing but great results from that product or company.

oldmodman
10-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Properly applied any correctly color matched paint will produce a superior result if you put in the time.

Gently sand the area around the chip, apply paint into the chip until it is above the surrounding area. Let it fully harden and this could take a month. Sand down the excess paint until it is even with the surrounding area. Apply 2K clear. It may or may not be possible to perfectly match the surrounding clear. In which case you may need to fully clear the entire panel. Depending on the state of the clear on the rest of the car you may either stop here ior sand and polish the new clear. If the rest of the car has minor orangepeel then you probably do not want to sand.

Or. Just use Dr Colorchip exactly as shown in the instructions and be happy with the result. I have never met anyone willing to spend over a month fixing a minor paint chip. :xyxthumbs:

lsuwhodat
10-07-2016, 02:32 PM
Being the hauler of a 2&5 yo boys, dr paint chip it is! I am sure there will be more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUNX650
10-07-2016, 02:52 PM
I would not have been as accepting
of their chip repair as you were.
IMHO: they owe you a do-over.

Regardless:
-I sure wouldn't wet-sand a chip repair,
(or any other blemish for that matter),
that was on/near an OEM BC/CC paint
system.

However:
-It's your (Wife's) vehicle...
-Wet sand it at your own risk.

Bob

LSNAutoDetailing
10-07-2016, 05:32 PM
I agree with Bob, Live with what you got on the Pilot. For the CRV, Dr. Colorchip is a a must, it's all I use.
See a prior "show-n-shine" where a Merc E350 got some love and affection:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/103588-lsn-autodetailing-2007-merc-e350-w-rock-chip-repairl.html