PDA

View Full Version : 3D BDX on paint?

Pages : [1] 2

emmjay
10-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Hey guys,

I have been hunting all over Dubai to find Iron Removal products, and so far zero luck.

Today I was at the 3D dealer who also stocks optimum and we were checking stocks for Opt Ferrex. Could not find any so I picked up some OPC and Opti-bond and left.

When I got home I read a little more about iron removers and 3D BDX kept popping up. I think I saw some at the dealer but was under the impression that it was for wheels only?

I have seen a couple of posts where people use it on paint too. Even the AG description said use on wheels or paint but stops at that.

Seeing how I might just be able to get some BDX - if it works on paint I will be one happy camper and finally be able to remove all that fallout on my Dad's X5.

Opinions or feedback from someone who has used it on paint?

Bonus question - The black specks on paint - are they iron or tar or a mix of both? Does 3D carry a tar remover too? :P

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3218/IMG_5430_1_.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/109274/title/img-5430-1/cat/3218)

Jimmy Vegas
10-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Yes it is safe for paint. I used it on my mother's Lincoln, and 3D even demos it on paint in their video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGdMx_2-iZ0

Tempest45
10-06-2016, 05:03 PM
One of their video's says that you can cut it 1:4, if I recall correctly.

glfnaz
10-06-2016, 05:17 PM
You are now officially: A Happy Camper!

emmjay
10-07-2016, 04:01 AM
Awesome. Thank you guys!

Another question:

Do you just wash off once it dwells?

Some people say, once it dwells you should agitate the iron remover.

How is this done? I was worried wouldn't the agitation result in scratches as you are effectively agitation the removed iron?

lawrenceSA
10-07-2016, 04:45 AM
Awesome. Thank you guys!

Another question:

Do you just wash off once it dwells?

Some people say, once it dwells you should agitate the iron remover.

How is this done? I was worried wouldn't the agitation result in scratches as you are effectively agitation the removed iron?
Spray it on, let it dwell a little, then take a damp (dedicated in my case) wash mitt and gently agitate...then pressure rinse off thoroughly... then rinse some more LOL. You don't want to leave behind any residual iron remover that can dry in a hidden place, and then the next time it rains, it runs down onto the paint and dries again causing issues... so really rinse well.

You shouldn't worry too much about dragging hard contaminants over the paint at this point as the iron remover would have dissolved them so they will be in a liquid form. You'll do more harm IMO dragging those some contaminants over the paint embedded in clay than through agitating the iron remover.

emmjay
10-07-2016, 06:08 AM
Spray it on, let it dwell a little, then take a damp (dedicated in my case) wash mitt and gently agitate...then pressure rinse off thoroughly... then rinse some more LOL. You don't want to leave behind any residual iron remover that can dry in a hidden place, and then the next time it rains, it runs down onto the paint and dries again causing issues... so really rinse well.

You shouldn't worry too much about dragging hard contaminants over the paint at this point as the iron remover would have dissolved them so they will be in a liquid form. You'll do more harm IMO dragging those some contaminants over the paint embedded in clay than through agitating the iron remover.

Thank you so much Lawrence. That really helps! :)

WaxMaster1
10-07-2016, 09:26 AM
When I bought my new Alpine White BMW, of course I didn't let the dealership touch it. So, I brought it home in order to prep it like Mike says to, I used the 3D BDX on the white paint and you could absolutely see it working on the paint and then I proceeded to wash and decontaminate further before a quick polish and wax. I would definitely recommend.

rlmccarty2000
10-07-2016, 10:29 AM
BDX work just as good as any other fallout remover. Just rinse well and wash afterwards to neutralize any remaining iron remover.

emmjay
10-07-2016, 02:05 PM
Thank you gents. Appreciate it!

I seriously hope he has it in stock being a 3D dealer.

Bill1234
10-07-2016, 08:38 PM
Yes, safe for paint. 3D BDX is a great product. Lowest odor I could find and works well. Personally with these products its all about the dwell time. The more you let it sit the cleaner your paint gets.

emmjay
10-08-2016, 02:58 AM
Yes, safe for paint. 3D BDX is a great product. Lowest odor I could find and works well. Personally with these products its all about the dwell time. The more you let it sit the cleaner your paint gets.

Thanks Bill!

shadwell
10-08-2016, 04:16 AM
If it's safe on clear coated wheels it's safe on clear coated paint...

The product doesn't know which clear it is on... [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emmjay
10-08-2016, 05:51 AM
Update:

SO....to rub in how unlucky I am, they do not carry BDX and only carry 3D Wheel Brite.

This sucks...

However, I passed by the Chemical Guys dealer and they have a product called CG Decon Pro Iron Remover.I have attached a picture. Looking everywere for reviews but cannot find any, except for wheels. Apologies for the orientation of the picture.

However, its almost twice the price compared to the US $16.99 vs $30 here for a 16oz bottle.

Anyone used this product by Chemical Guys?

It's my last and only option in Dubai....I wish Iron X would just sell a powder version so we can mix it up ourselves lol (HINT HINT PBMG)....but this applies to any detailing liquid product lol.

I did not buy it straight away before looking for reviews and such. The fact that all their "reviews" or videos are by themselves, and they themselves do not use it on paint...is making me doubt it (as I doubt almost all their products except Honeydew).

Thank you!

emmjay
10-08-2016, 12:35 PM
:bump: