PDA

View Full Version : An open apology..

Pages : [1] 2

Jimmy Vegas
10-04-2016, 06:13 PM
Hey guys,
It's with no small shame that I admit my mistake and offer my apologies. To those I may have accused of witchcraft, sorcery, shenanigans, tomfoolery, mischief, hanky-panky, high jinks, chicanery, capers and knavery as they extolled the virtues of waterless wash. My sincerest apologies. I was, for the most part, wrong (looking at you BillyJack) and I take it all back.

After using Wolfgang Uber as a waterless prior to polishing (and loving it as much as you guys said I would), and now, giving my post rained on Juke (aka "Rocket") a good cleaning with Pinnacle Waterless, I am officially sold. It's going take some serious mud, snowy-salt, or possibly dried lava to get me to break out the hose and bucket again.

"Rocket"

And to those of you who suggested I use it with 600 grit sandpaper for the best shine.. HA-HA! Nice try!

You need 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper! I wasn't born last night, you know.

- Jim

Eldorado2k
10-04-2016, 06:20 PM
How frequently do you wipe your vehicle clean using either a rinseless/waterless?

Kamakaz1961
10-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Looks Awesome!!

Jimmy Vegas
10-04-2016, 06:27 PM
How frequently do you wipe your vehicle clean using either a rinseless/waterless?
Right now, it's around once a week, but it's mostly dictated by when the weather permits. Sadly, Rocket lives outside while my Chevelle mocks it from inside the garage. (He can be a real jerk sometimes.)

Looks Awesome!!
Thank you. A lot of great advice from this forum got it looking this way, and I appreciate all of it.

WillSports3
10-04-2016, 06:28 PM
After I discovered rinseless/waterless washes, I 2B wash my car almost never.

Blackdevil77
10-04-2016, 06:34 PM
I'm new to this "waterless wash" sorcery as well. I have yet to try a waterless wash. I order ONR with gloss coat. Can't wait to try it

shadwell
10-04-2016, 06:35 PM
I was the same.. most doubts came from not heeding the advice on correct useage and the additional considerations to avoid damaging the paint..

The real turnaround for me came from using ONR through a pump sprayer (using more product) and using a lot of MF's with each cloth face only getting a single pass / small section...
each cloth gets folded twice giving 8 faces total front and rear.. car typically takes 4 MF's (exclusing wheels)..
Also misting the dry cloth face...
And finally using a rolling / lifting motion with the cloth flat to panel at the start of the pass and gradually lifting the front / leading edge as you go.. ie a new clean section of MF is almost always presented to the panel and the dirt is grabed and held in the lifted section...

And a final pas with a misted MF at teh end to remove and smears which the cleaning pass may have left behind...

This is pretty much my mid week clean now..

I still defer to the foam lance and sheeting rinse on the weekends (which is when i clean the wheels as they are gloss black and mark ridiulously easy.. )

Jimmy Vegas
10-04-2016, 06:48 PM
The real turnaround for me came from using ONR through a pump sprayer (using more product) and using a lot of MF's with each cloth face only getting a single pass / small section...

That's where it came together for me as well. Go heavy on the product, and use plenty of towels. I use the "tiger strip" method and get around 4 passes per face on a 1/4 folded towel (4 faces, the way Mike does it.) My mantra is "Towels are cheap, paint is expensive." (Also, "See a doctor and get rid of it." But on a different forum.)

To anyone who is thinking of trying waterless, remember this.. If you use too much, well it's just a little extra buffing and an extra towel here and there. If you don't use enough, you get to spend some time with your curses drowned out by the sound of a polisher removing some new scratches.

FUNX650
10-04-2016, 06:53 PM
https://m.popkey.co/714c02/grRLY.gif

Bob

Eldorado2k
10-04-2016, 06:59 PM
I know and like the benefits of rinseless washing... But somehow I make a habit of not remembering to do so until about the 7-8th day after it's been fully washed, and by then it's hit that fine line and I wind up dragging out the hose & bucket. I should know better, but I've been stuck in this same rutt for months now.

JeffM
10-04-2016, 07:30 PM
I only rinseless wash but I drag out the hose every time, to hose it off before I wash it. Rinseless means after you wash it not before. No one would wash mud and dirt without hosing it off first. Its not sorcery.

BrutalNoodle
10-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Before some smart person comes in here and brag about this drying towel and that drying towel, ignore the ill-informed.

This, my friend, is the best drying method:

http://lad-list.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Personal-Flame-Thrower.jpg

Period.

Jimmy Vegas
10-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Also the secret to my spicy rib roast.

Jimmy Vegas
10-04-2016, 08:39 PM
https://m.popkey.co/714c02/grRLY.gif

Bob

:laughing::dblthumb2::laughing:

BrutalNoodle
10-04-2016, 10:12 PM
That's where it came together for me as well. Go heavy on the product, and use plenty of towels. I use the "tiger strip" method and get around 4 passes per face on a 1/4 folded towel (4 faces, the way Mike does it.) My mantra is "Towels are cheap, paint is expensive." (Also, "See a doctor and get rid of it." But on a different forum.)

To anyone who is thinking of trying waterless, remember this.. If you use too much, well it's just a little extra buffing and an extra towel here and there. If you don't use enough, you get to spend some time with your curses drowned out by the sound of a polisher removing some new scratches.

^^^ :dblthumb2:

Don't be stingy the first time out. Go heavy. Get the feel & dial it in as you go. You'll find the sweet spot soon enough. After that it's as easy as pie.

I can wash my wagon with just one gal of solution & a 16oz (detailer/waterless ratio) pretreatment GD style, if/when I don't feel like dealing with a 5 gal bucket.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/rhino0_7/Forester/CGSYNrinseless6_zpsrlez6sow.jpg

You're looking at 1gal Sterilite bucket, 10 used rolled edge (http://www.autogeek.net/super-soft-microfiber-towels.html); 8 wash/1 dry/1 final buff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/rhino0_7/Forester/CGSYNrinseless10_zpsdo30jqba.jpg

Weekly rinseless. Hasn't been polished going 2 yrs.