PDA

View Full Version : Auto Insurance

Pages : [1] 2

kjn
10-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Shopping for new auto insurance and also looking for motorcycle insurance and have a question. I've been on my own car insurance for about 3 years, but before was covered under my parents. I have made a few claims under their coverage but never on mine since I switched. My question is, when insurance companies asked if I had any claims will they see my accidents from when I was under my parents? Or will my report be clean since I had no claims under my own insurance? Thanks in advance

Just02896
10-04-2016, 06:38 PM
Any and all claims filed are almost always visable by any and all insurance companies. How else would they be able to assess risk and quote you a policy premium? With that being said, I believe accidents / traffic violations become non-chargeable after 3 years.

ScottB
10-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Was your Drivers License present ??? Did you use your real name and information ... then like medical insurance, they know everything. Also most use credit reporting as part of their risk assessment and charge accordingly.

FUNX650
10-04-2016, 07:25 PM
Shopping for new auto insurance and also looking for motorcycle insurance and have a question. I've been on my own car insurance for about 3 years, but before was covered under my parents. I have made a few claims under their coverage but never on mine since I switched. My question is, when insurance companies asked if I had any claims will they see my accidents from when I was under my parents? Or will my report be clean since I had no claims under my own insurance? Thanks in advance
Just curious...

Ok...You've been on your own insurance
policy through a particular Insurance Co.
for ~3 years now.

So...When this particular Insurance Co.
asked you ~3 years ago if you had any
prior claims...What did you wind up tell-
ing them back then?

Bob

PaulMys
10-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Just curious...

Ok...You've been on your own insurance
policy through a particular Insurance Co.
for ~3 years now.

So...When this particular Insurance Co.
asked you ~3 years ago if you had any
prior claims...What did you wind up tell-
ing them back then?

Bob

Was thinking the same thing..........

These insurance companies are pretty thorough. They are going to leave no stone (or dented fender) unturned when it comes to providing you with a policy.

kjn
10-04-2016, 08:00 PM
I went with the same company my parents were with so the agent had all my info already. Someone told me that since the claims were not under my insurance it wouldn't affect me but didn't know how true that was. But from reading all the comments I guess its not lol. I also just checked my CLUE report and its clean but Idk how accurate that info is.

FUNX650
10-04-2016, 08:20 PM
I went with the same company my parents were with so the agent had all my info already. Someone told me that since the claims were not under my insurance it wouldn't affect me but didn't know how true that was. But from reading all the comments I guess its not lol. I also just checked my CLUE report and its clean but Idk how accurate that info is.
•Call your Insurance Agent...
-He'll clue you in to the affects
your prior claims currently have,
and could have, in the near-future.

•Why do you want to switch from
your present Insurance Co.?

Bob

kjn
10-04-2016, 11:19 PM
Gonna be looking for motorcycle insurance soon and I feel like i'm paying too much for my auto right now.

FUNX650
10-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Gonna be looking for motorcycle insurance soon and I feel like i'm paying too much for my auto right now.
Probably wouldn't hurt to
shop around a little bit.

As a courtesy:
Once you do get a quote lower than
you're currently paying for your auto,
give your agent a chance to match.

Bob

LSNAutoDetailing
10-05-2016, 01:38 PM
Quote Originally Posted by kjn

LOL, don't we all...

Don't go by cheaper quotes alone... I've seen agencies cut coverage amounts to come in at a cheaper quote, when I ask to have them comp apples to apples, they were actually more expensive.
And yes, everything is pulled by your drivers license, SSN & credit report. An INS agent's software can tap into almost every DMV/RMV and could probably even tell you the VIN# of the car you owned 25 years ago. It's scary the amount of info that is available. As Bob already said, give your guy a call. If you're parents already have homeowners + auto's, I don't see you getting a cheaper rate going off to another company. Usually multi-family discounts apply... Call your agent and get more info...

Good luck!

ScottB
10-06-2016, 11:56 AM
One of the most aggressive and competitive businesses ... only challenge, they often find something later and demand increased payment.

Knozzmoeking
10-06-2016, 12:40 PM

In addition to what others have said, cheaper insurance is sometimes but not always coupled with inferior claims service.
You can check out reputations online.

dmayer
10-06-2016, 08:28 PM
If your license was given in an accident or if you received a ticket they will know. Typically, 3 years after minor incident(s), they drop off and you won't be charged for them, unless it was a major offense like a DUI which can stay on longer (5-7 + years). Now if you've had a good number of minor incidents that were more than 3 years ago, an underwriter may still charge you as they still see you as a risk.

custmsprty
10-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Probably wouldn't hurt to
shop around a little bit.

As a courtesy:
Once you do get a quote lower than
you're currently paying for your auto,
give your agent a chance to match.

Bob

First time I've disagreed with you Bob.

I have been a 100% commissioned sales person since 1991. So, if I come in and save you money over your current provider, whatever the service may be, my reward for doing that is you giving the current person who has been over charging you the opportunity to match my price. Boo hiss on that. I should be rewarded for saving you the money and earning your business. Your current provider should always be striving to keep earning your business and that means staying proactive and competitive.

PaulMys
10-06-2016, 08:55 PM
First time I've disagreed with you Bob.

I have been a 100% commissioned sales person since 1991. So, if I come in and save you money over your current provider, whatever the service may be, my reward for doing that is you giving the current person who has been over charging you the opportunity to match my price. Boo hiss on that. I should be rewarded for saving you the money and earning your business. Your current provider should always be striving to keep earning your business and that means staying proactive and competitive.

They should (operative word) but DO they?

What I mean is, if you're just cruising along and getting overcharged, what incentive do they (unscrupulous insurance providers) have to inform you otherwise?