PDA

View Full Version : Leather: Coat or cleaner/lotion

Wolfslair
10-04-2016, 02:03 PM
As a detailing professional, do you prefer to use a coating for leather, such as Gyeon Leather Coat. Are you old school and believe the leather should be cleaned and redressed with a leather lotion, such as the Lexol products. Please give the reasoning behind your practices or the product that has changed your way of detailing leather.

Eldorado2k
10-04-2016, 06:47 PM
As a detailing professional, do you prefer to use a coating for leather, such as Gyeon Leather Coat. Are you old school and believe the leather should be cleaned and redressed with a leather lotion, such as the Lexol products. Please give the reasoning behind your practices or the product that has changed your way of detailing leather.

Generally speaking, I would probably never suggest any sort of leather coating to a customer on my own.. I'd much rather have a "maintenance" relationship between me and their leather, in which they remember how nice I leave their leather everytime they call me to do their vehicle. [nicely conditioned] Not only do they have to remember me within a couple weeks once it's worn off, but they sure aren't going to get anything like that coming from the cheap local car wash, because they certainly aren't going to clean and condition their leather interior, and even if they paid them to, they wouldn't detail it out nor use the good stuff they're used to getting when I do it.
It's called job security. Lol.

Now if a customer comes to me looking for advice in regards to anykind of premium protection that I may be able to offer in order to preserve his/her leather interior in like new condition, then and only then will I begin to divulge the nuggets of information in regards to interior coatings and such.. I'd be more than happy to help. There's nothing better than being able to help a person who's interested in the highest level of protection for they're vehicle.

FUNX650
10-04-2016, 07:48 PM
1.)
-I'm so old-school that, when
it comes to auto leather, I go
by the following maxim:

"Clean and Protect"

2.)
-Would the "leather lotion", that you
mentioned in the OP, be a protectant?

-The reason I ask is, that: I do not
use "conditioners" on auto leather...
Ever!

Bob

CarolinasFinestDetailing
10-04-2016, 07:52 PM

It is my strong opinion that the word "coating" is thrown around too loosely in this industry nowadays. I consider something like CQuartz Leather or Optimum Leather Coating an actual leather "coating" due to its long term abilities.

Gyeon Leather Coat is basically a protectant like Optimum Leather Protectant or say Ultima Interior Guard.

Just my $0.02 though. I generally clean and apply a protectant for details, unless I upsell a leather coating such as the two listed.