PDA

View Full Version : Prepping Plastic Trim For Cquarz DLUX

Blackdevil77
10-03-2016, 09:25 PM
I'm gonna apply DLUX to my plastic trim tomorrow. I know the trim has to be completely clean before application. My only question is, I used Carpro silica spray back in July on the trim to seal it, and noticed water still beads up relentlessly on the trim with that product. Is that going to make it a challenge for me to apply DLUX? How can I remove that from the trim? I was thinking of a brush and some APC, but am not sure if that's enough.

Rsurfer
10-03-2016, 09:32 PM
I'm gonna apply DLUX to my plastic trim tomorrow. I know the trim has to be completely clean before application. My only question is, I used Carpro silica spray back in July on the trim to seal it, and noticed water still beads up relentlessly on the trim with that product. Is that going to make it a challenge for me to apply DLUX? How can I remove that from the trim? I was thinking of a brush and some APC, but am not sure if that's enough.
That should do it, but what ever you end up using, be sure to do an IPA wipe down before applying Dlux. I cannot stress how important to apply Dlux with a light hand (less product).

The Guz
10-03-2016, 09:34 PM
I was thinking of a brush and some APC, but am not sure if that's enough.

Try it and then wipe it down with Eraser or IPA and see if it's removed.

01GreyStangGT
10-03-2016, 10:01 PM
Definitely use Eraser. I didn't use it the first time, and I had splotchy results.

Blackdevil77
10-04-2016, 06:50 AM
I have Eraser, I can use both an IPA and eraser if that would help. I'll try it this afternoon when I get back from work.

I'll go as thin as possible. I learned that the hard way with cquartz after doing my first car with it

BadgerRivFan
10-04-2016, 10:33 AM
1Z (now Nextzett) Plastic Cleaner is also a good cleaning/prep product before treating trim with DLUX. Just do an Eraser or IPA wipe down after using the cleaner...

Nextzett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner Plastik Reiniger NEW LOOK! (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-plastic-cleaner.html)

Blackdevil77
10-04-2016, 10:44 AM
1Z (now Nextzett) Plastic Cleaner is also a good cleaning/prep product before treating trim with DLUX. Just do an Eraser or IPA wipe down after using the cleaner...

Nextzett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner Plastik Reiniger NEW LOOK! (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-plastic-cleaner.html)

Thanks, that's what I'll do. Hopefully the weather holds out today so I can do this. We got a stupid hurricane working it's way up the east coast

58LesPaul
10-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Can DLUX also be used on the soft rubber trim like the strips on the roof?

Blackdevil77
10-04-2016, 12:45 PM

Good question, I was planning on using it there as well.

Rsurfer
10-04-2016, 02:11 PM

Good question, I was planning on using it there as well.

Quote from AG page:
CQuartz DLux Plastic & Wheel Coating

CQuartz DLux Plastic & Wheel Coating

Semi permanent protection for paint, plastics, rubber, and metals!

Blackdevil77
10-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Dlux was remarkably easy to use. I had an infinitely easier time than I did with UK when I used it. I think part of it was because it was almost 90% humidity and hotter than hell when I used UK. Trim looks much better, headlights and taillights were a breeze. I almost feel like I didn't do anything. I barely had to wipe anything after applying it. I applied it, it left it's little snail trail over the tail lights and head lights. Then most of it leveled out and disappeared. I only had to do light leveling with a mf towel. Now I just need my gloss coat.