PDA

View Full Version : Review : Meguiars Brushes

Pages : [1] 2

emaxxman
06-27-2006, 10:14 PM
I thought I would provide some feedback on some Meguiar's brushes that I've been using.

Meguiar's Tire Brush:
http://www.autogeek.net/x1010.html
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1903_63531292

Pros:
nice ergonomics (to a degree)
bristles are firm but yet flexible enough to adapt to contours
good for larger tires (like my Odyssey minivan)Cons:
tough to use for lower portions of tire near the ground when holding the handle...I had to take the handle off to scrub this part
not sure if softer bristles on the perimeter of brush are truly clearcoat safe...best to avoid getting too close to wheels
I accidently banged into the wheel well on my Accord a few times when holding the brush handle...holding the brush head directly helped to control this.Conclusion: I got the brush for $2.99 at a local Big Lots store. It's a good deal at the price. Just be careful that you don't bang into the painted surfaces. I'll keep using it on my minivan's tires...I'll use a cheap palm sized brush I have on my Accord's smaller tires.

Meguiar's Wheel Brush:
http://www.autogeek.net/wheel-angle-brush.html

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1899_10652723

Pros:
Very soft bristles that should be safe for clear coated wheels.
Lots of bristles for effective cleaning easy to reach surfaces.
Detachable handle makes holding the brush head very easy..this is my preferred way to hold it.Cons:
Very tough to get bristles clean afterwards.
Super soft nature of bristles caused them to get deformed easily.
Not very effective at getting into deeply recessed areas.
Soft bristles can't scrub off tough brake dust.Conclusions: I got this for about $4. Even at that price, I probably won't use it much. My Accord's and minivan's wheels have deep recesses that the brush just can reach. It's probably a good tool for large truck wheels that don't have spokes. I can get my wheels cleaned faster with an old sheepskin mitt.

Meguiar's Interior Brush:
http://www.autogeek.net/x1000.html
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1903_64146205

Pros:
Great ergonomics.
Nice firm bristles but flexible enough that they won't get stuck in carpet fibers...makes for easy circular cleaning motions.
Stands up to firm pressure and bristles will not bend.
Made very short work of deep stains.Cons:
I think the bristles are too firm for leather...to be fair, I haven't tried it but I don't think I'll be chancing it. Definitely would not use on suede or uncoated leather.Conclusions: I think this brush rocks. It made short work of some stains that the PC brush attachment couldn't reach in the minivan. I'm sure I'll get to use it quite a bit in the cramped confines of my Accord. It was very comfortable to use....and the $3 price was great. I may pick up another to store inside the house for household carpets.

Well, hope I was helpful...this site has been so educational and helpful that I thought I would try and return the generosity. :cheers:

MCA
06-27-2006, 11:35 PM
nice review...I actually switch the handles for the brushes - I prefer the longer handle on the tire brush. I also invert the handle as well...helps reduce accidental bumps.

abrcrombe
06-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Pretty good review. Anyone who has a BigLots by them. They are selling a lot of these Meguiar's products for cheap. Not trying to take away business from AG, but I can't imagine you guys selling a lot of these brushes anyways. Or am I wrong? But then again, I'm sure you care about the customer, and are willing to lose a few bucks for the sake of them saving some. That way they can spend their savings on more profitable items! :p

kellyinkc
06-28-2006, 08:27 AM
I have all those brushes also. The wheel brush does deform though. Wonder if Megs is discoing them? Bought mine at Big Lots too.
Overall I like them. :)

Meghan
06-28-2006, 08:47 AM
I just wanted to say thank you, those were very informative reviews.

emaxxman
06-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Man...I really need to check my grammar and typos next time. Sheesh!

Meghan,

No problem...it's the least I could do to contribute to this great site. I have learned a ton from this site. My cars are looking better each day...now if only this rain would stop. :(

Meghan
06-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Man...I really need to check my grammar and typos next time. Sheesh!

Meghan,

No problem...it's the least I could do to contribute to this great site. I have learned a ton from this site. My cars are looking better each day...now if only this rain would stop. :(
I take it you must be up north?!:confused:

emaxxman
06-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Yep! NJ.

It rains when I drive into work...is sunny while I'm at work looking out the window...and then starts to rain when I walk out the building.

The detailing gods must be having a good chuckle right now.

Meghan
06-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Well at least your grass is getting green!

JoeD
06-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Yep! same here in Massachusetts. I took delivery of my New Car Yesterday "wasn't raining". Put it in the garage last night and now Rain scheduled for the rest of the week. Hopefully will be better by Saturday to use my New PC. JoeD

Meghan
06-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Yep! same here in Massachusetts. I took delivery of my New Car Yesterday "wasn't raining". Put it in the garage last night and now Rain scheduled for the rest of the week. Hopefully will be better by Saturday to use my New PC. JoeD
Joe, you must share with us, what did you get?!:confused: And what color? And what are you going to put on her this weekend?

wytstang
06-28-2006, 10:36 AM
I picked up the tire and wheel brush from Advance Auto, they are on clearance....

JoeD
06-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Joe, you must share with us, what did you get?!:confused: And what color? And what are you going to put on her this weekend?

I purchased a 2006 Hyundai Azera Limited, Black with Beige Leather. Took delivery on it yesterday. Did a quick detail last night and found a ding on the right rear quarter, later on that problem. This is my plan for hopefully Saturday:

Wash: Foam Gun with New Foam Soap Sample.
Clay
Use Clear Kote Red Moose Glaze with New PC with finishing pad
Finish with Sovereign Paste Wax
Tires will be finished with Poorboy's Bold & Bright
Windows Cleaned with DP Krystal Vision Glass Clearner
Final touch up QD with Clear Kote Quick Shine

All applications with be done with MF Towels. Am I missing something? If so, would appreciate any advise. JoeD

FloridaNative
06-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a perfect plan to me. Congrats on the new car. Love that smell! YUMMY Sorry about the door ding! You know I just got my car out of the body shop right before I had to leave for Georgia, they replaced the bumper and guess what, there's some kind of gash in it!! Looks like a shopping car ran into it or something! And I park all the way out too. ay, it's so depressing!

JoeD
06-28-2006, 01:25 PM
When I noticed the ding in the fender which was only an hour after getting the car home, I called the dealership and spoke to my salesman. He is now claiming that the ding was not there when the car left the dealership. Spoke with sales manager and I have to take it in for a look. I think we are going to go round and round on this one. That's all I could think of last night was that dame ding in the fender. Does that qualify me as an Auto Geek? JoeD