PDA

View Full Version : Washing and Protecting Textured Matte Wrap

osiapstndp
10-02-2016, 06:24 PM
Hello,

In a few days I am going to do the engine bay, exterior and interior on a Charger that is fully wrapped in matte vinyl film that has a bit of texture to it. I want to avoid using anything that includes gloss enhancement.

To tackle the paintwork (the vinyl wrap) I'm thinking of the following:

1. Rinseless or waterless wash with D114.
2. "Protect" the finish by using the new McKee's matte cleaner and protectant.

Is there something beyond this that I can use to protect the vehicle's textured matte finish? I feel like I'm missing something.

Thank you.

GSKR
10-02-2016, 07:39 PM
It's all in the material.cheap wrap = zero longevity .Good film wrap is durable.Try the mckees matte protection.

Desertnate
10-03-2016, 09:18 AM
I'd second the McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner and Protector.

I use it on my bike which is painted with a matte finish from the factory and it works great. I don't need the protection required for a car, but it does clean the surface well without making it shiny.

osiapstndp
10-06-2016, 11:22 AM
I started and finished the matte wrapped Dodge Charger yesterday. Everything worked out well.

Here are the steps I took.

1. Snow foamed the exterior with Chemical Guys' "matte" shampoo.
2. Rinsed off the soap like normal, but paid careful attention to the amount of pressure used so as to not damage the vinyl wrap. I also followed up with a second rinse using just the hose and sprayer to ensure all soap residue was removed.
3. While the exterior was still wet I did a waterless wash using D114 with shine and buff towels.
4. Dried all surfaces using Griot's Garage PFM drying towels.
5. Applied even coverage of the McKee's matte cleaner and protectant just for the sake of completeness.

The results were good, by which I mean the surfaces looked as good as they could. I'm still a little unsure about how to protect the vinyl wrap in the same way one would protect a clear coat, so on my side more research and testing is required.

On an unrelated note, D114 is the best product on the planet and it's upsetting that Meguiar's discontinued it. Oh well.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161006/f9b47b35f974358bde502d162b3ff5ba.jpg