PDA

View Full Version : Coating a Harley windshield

Craddock
10-02-2016, 11:02 AM
I have searched extensively and found few posts on this. Basically it seems that this is not officially recommended but should not be an issue. I am specifically speaking of the hard coated polycarbonate factory windshields. The main purpose of this would be ease of cleaning. I have two ultra classics to do and have sold owners on coatings.

My personal bike's windshield was replaced with an acrylic so I have no experience with applying a coating on Lexan

As far as products I can discuss here I have CQ Uk on hand. Plan on coating paint and chrome to help with cleaning bugs and because of harley's soft clear. Bike windshields get hit harder with bugs than an autos seem to.

One will be have to be viewed through while the other is viewed over the top. Not concerned about the latter one as far as optics.

Thanks,
Josh

BillyJack
10-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Bike windshields get hit harder with bugs than an autos seem to.

Man, they sure do!

I've used Rain-X for years, just to make bug removal easier. Haven't had a bike recently, so I haven't tried coatings, but considering most of the products out there are safe for headlights (I'm currently using Opti Coat on mine), I see no reason why they would harm your shield, unless the mfr. specifically states not to use on any plastics.

Bill

GSKR
10-02-2016, 02:08 PM
845 no worries.

ellens2
10-02-2016, 02:38 PM
I've been using Meguiars on my husbands Motorcycle Windshield with good success. Meguiars Plastic Care Kit: Meguiars #17 Plastic Cleaner & Meguiars #10 Plastic Polish work together to clean and clarify auto plastics. (http://www.autogeek.net/megglascarki.html#)

Craddock
10-02-2016, 05:59 PM
845 no worries.

Ok. Skip the coating on windshield and use 845. I am set. It will probably last most the season anyway and no big deal to hit it again mid season. I see the bikes often anyway.

LEDetailing
10-02-2016, 10:16 PM
I would try BFWD sealant. I sealed my neighbor's motorcycle windshield and it is so easy to clean with just rinseless wash and a MF. I presoak and wash with Meguiar's D114. I know 845 has great longevity, but I can almost guarantee that BFWD is slicker. And it is so easy to use.