PDA

View Full Version : 3" random orbital polisher

bryanviper
10-01-2016, 10:47 PM
Hello all

so I'm thinking of buying a 3" polisher to get into smaller areas when detailing.
I have been looking at the Griots Garage 3" version as I already have the 6" version and am very happy with it.

however I wanted to see what other people suggest just so I can look into different models

thanks

postaltwo
10-01-2016, 10:57 PM
The that kind of money I don't think you will do better .if your willing to spend more dollars rupes has some attractive offers in a small polisher

Audios S6
10-02-2016, 12:11 AM
The griots 3" isn't going to get you much correction without taking a lot of time. I've taken a DAS pro plus and outfitted it with a 3 1/8" plate to run rupes 100mm pads. It vibrates like crazy, but corrects very well. In most cases, I will still grab my flex kompakt first, but that is rotary and may not be what you are looking for. Your other options are a Rupes LHR 75e or the pneumatic version. Or really bumping up your budget to a Rupes Nano. It's important to think about the smaller areas you will be working on; the oscillation of a DA type machine is not the best suited for tight spaces, but it can finish out in one step. A rotary will require multiple steps in most cases, but it you can run right up to an edge and get full correction there with less concern of damaging adjacent paint, however, there is more potential for damaging the paint you are working on.

GSKR
10-02-2016, 08:29 AM
If your gonna be detailing for a while rupes Ibrid would be the way to go.yes it's a couple hundred but worth every penny.love the carpet attachment and every thing about the machine right down to the professional bag.If you can swing it ,that would be a good fit for you.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
10-02-2016, 09:27 AM
Bryan,

Are you a full time detailer of just a hobbyist? Budget would play key in how often you detail.

MTCarNut
10-02-2016, 10:48 AM
I have both the Griot's 3" polisher and the Rupes Mini 3" polisher. The Rupes is much more powerful and the quality is clearly superior as well. Of course, it costs 3X as much so it should be better in every way.

Kamakaz1961
10-02-2016, 05:19 PM
Hello all

so I'm thinking of buying a 3" polisher to get into smaller areas when detailing.
I have been looking at the Griots Garage 3" version as I already have the 6" version and am very happy with it.

however I wanted to see what other people suggest just so I can look into different models

thanks

Save your money and you could convert your current 6" GG into a 3" DA real easy. You will have 1 Machine that can do it all. I had the GG3" and gave it away. No power and good for only waxing.

Mantilgh
10-02-2016, 05:59 PM
^I was going to say just get another GG6 and convert it, or like above. If you get another, you will always have a back up that you are familiar with.

VISITOR
10-02-2016, 06:01 PM
I have been looking at the Griots Garage 3" version

keep in mind, now that the lake country 3.5" thinpro pads are available it's changed the way the GG3 can perform...

VISITOR
10-02-2016, 06:02 PM
I have been looking at the Griots Garage 3" version

keep in mind, now that the lake country 3.5" thinpro pads are available it's changed the way the GG3 can perform...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/103201-new-3-5-thinpro-foam-pads-thin-youre-going-love-these-new-small-foam-pads.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/105052-mini-quick-review-thinpro-pads-griots-3-a.html

DaveT435
10-02-2016, 06:07 PM
If your considering the Griot's 3" you may want to read this thread. Apparently these pads make a lot of difference in the performance of that machine.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/105052-mini-quick-review-thinpro-pads-griots-3-a.html

DaveT435
10-02-2016, 06:08 PM
I guess you beat me to it

bryanviper
10-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Not a full time Detailer. I only detail cars on the side here and there & of course my friends/family cars. Just really started getting into all of this at the beginning of 2016 however I have found that a smaller DA would be beneficial when working on small areas.

In terms of budget, I would like to stay around the price of this GG 3" I can go a bit higher however it would have to be worth it to spend that much more.

Thanks

Bryan,

Are you a full time detailer of just a hobbyist? Budget would play key in how often you detail.

custmsprty
10-02-2016, 09:02 PM
Not a full time Detailer. I only detail cars on the side here and there & of course my friends/family cars. Just really started getting into all of this at the beginning of 2016 however I have found that a smaller DA would be beneficial when working on small areas.

In terms of budget, I would like to stay around the price of this GG 3" I can go a bit higher however it would have to be worth it to spend that much more.

Thanks

Just get anonther GG6 and put a LC 3.5" Backing Plate on it, or a PC and do the same thing. Use 4" pads, it will be more stable this way. It won't be smooth like the great Rupes Mini but you can put that together for about $30.00 more than the cost of a GG3 which as many have posted is under powered and really not much more than a wax spreader.