PDA

View Full Version : Buying new car - does paint influence your decision?

lane5515
09-30-2016, 07:50 PM
I am thinking about buying a new car and will be looking at 3 different makes/models.

One of the cars is a Subaru - I've owned a Subaru in the past and loved everything about it except the paint which would scratch, swirl and mar so easily. The other two are a Nissan and Ford which in my experience both have nice paint to work with and maintain.

When you are buying a new car how much influence does the paint have on making your final decision?

BrutalNoodle
09-30-2016, 08:10 PM
When I make such a purchase, I'm in for the long-haul. Other than getting the color I wanted, the grade of paint itself is at the bottom of the list. Mechanical first. Reliability is atop of the requirements above all else.

BudgetPlan1
09-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Previously it was color that mattered most; since I got all ocd-ish about it I look closer now at depth of color in daytime. Had a black mica 2007 mazda3, looked great at night, under flourescent...under sunshine it just never had that dark black look. Always looked a bit washed out in daytime. Irritating.

FWIW, bought a black metallic 2016 Subaru WRX last October. It seemed to swirl/mar just by looking at it, horribly swirled even when new. Started looking into more durable protection for it, led to ceramic coatings and all other Auto-Geekish things. Put Uber Ceramic on it last spring, occasionally boosted with Gyeon Cure...after buying GG6 and all polishes/compounds to fix it up...very low maint. this year and it always looks very good even though it's a daily driver. No more swirls/scratches from even a careful wash...washed much less also due to ceramic coating. Subaru paint issues are no more.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Harry Da Hamster
09-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Even the worst OEM paint quality will last the long haul if maintained and cared for. So with that said, aside from color, no, it does not play any influence in my decision.

shadwell
09-30-2016, 08:18 PM
With tha advent of coatings the hardness alone is less of an issue for me..
How much is on the panel is far more important...
As all the products (vehicles) I am interested in Come with unacceptable factory
Orange peel.. So I need enough to be able to flat...
Anything less is just tinsel on a turd...

FUNX650
09-30-2016, 08:42 PM
I've owned a Subaru in the past and
loved everything about it except the
paint which would scratch, swirl and
mar so easily.

When you are buying a new car
how much influence does the paint have on
making your final decision?
•The vehicles' paint does have a lot of
influence on my final buying decision...
especially in the following manner:

-The more the paint's color tends to
the dark side, the more the types of
scratches, swirls, and other blemishes
I'll begin to see.

-Sure..there may be the same types and
amount of blemishes on the lighter colors,
but they're just not as noticeable to me.

•Indirectly, with TiO2 being so closely
associated with "whiter/lighter colors",
it would seem that those whiter colors
should be harder (perhaps even more
scratch resistant) than the darker colors.

-That could stand to reason for Single
Stage paint systems; not so much for
BC/CC paint systems...what with their
top-coat paint film being, for the most
part: non-pigmented...IMO.

Bottom line for me is:
•Knowing that since the many different
OEMs' have their own engineering
paint-curing specs to meet...which
includes the "paint hardness" value...

-It's comes down to the question of
whether the vehicle's color scheme
meets with our approval, or not.

Bob

PaulMys
09-30-2016, 09:40 PM
Agree with Bob. Wanted my Ram in either Black or Mineral gray metallic.

After seeing both colors a year old on friends' trucks, I opted for the gray.

So yes, color was an influence for me.

custmsprty
09-30-2016, 10:16 PM
I guess I can chime in here since I just parked a new 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR in the driveway about 3 hours ago. I personally would never buy any Honda or Toyota. I see failed clear coat all the time on them after just a couple years down here in the Florda climate.

GSKR
10-01-2016, 05:53 AM
Agree,Toyota has crappy thin paint that easily chips on the front and lower rake portion of the hood.Honda paint is not bad,but i think there still pumping out white sstage.I look for ease of maintenance.Recently bought a e350 in black but I loved the interior color so I settled.

ellens2
10-01-2016, 06:23 AM
I choose the model first, then color. I chose silver on my car since it hides the road dust so well, I drive around 400 miles/week. The dealer tried to get me to take darker color cars they had on the lot but I held firm. Though I love the look of darker colors, I hate how quickly they show dirt.

TTQ B4U
10-01-2016, 06:48 AM
Nope. I'm about the experience and fun factor in the car. Color wise, I am flexible. I originally set out to buy a dark blue mettalic car, then looked at a white one, then black. I'm not a fan of pure red, silver on my car was to meh....for me and white, I just had a white car.

The main reason I bought the S4 I did is that it was a factory untitled car with 8K on the clock and ZERO blemishes or road rash, etc. It had a feature I wasn't initially interested in but am glad I have and that's the Adaptive Suspension.

Black did initially make me cringe and I hate it ever time I need to clean it up, but that hate goes away once it's clean. Crazy how much of a love hate black is.

TTQ B4U
10-01-2016, 06:49 AM
I guess I can chime in here since I just parked a new 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR in the driveway about 3 hours ago. I personally would never buy any Honda or Toyota. I see failed clear coat all the time on them after just a couple years down here in the Florda climate.

Honda paint has really gone to heck. If they aren't cared for they fail quickly.

LSNAutoDetailing
10-01-2016, 08:15 AM
Interesting topic, because some people are discussing color, which is a deciding factor.
There are a few colors I particularly don't care for, even if the price is right.

On the other hand, we're armed with knowledge that the average consumer isn't. We spend so much time on the forum discussing hardness and softness, clear coat, single stage, etc...

I love the Honda Accord Touring Coupe, but I know Honda will keep me busy with polishing and coatings... On the other hand, I also know it will be easy to fix. I love the new Camaro, or Caddy ATS, but I know the cc is hard as nails, but if there are defects it will take a lot to fix it.
I also know a Honda will run for half a million miles...

No easy answer...

shadwell
10-01-2016, 04:15 PM
And spending more doesn't help it seems.... Was looking at an S500 in metallic blue and it's orange peel was shameful... That's was listed as $400k AUD... [emoji15]
BMW were also appalling for peel, and surprisingly jaguar were better ......

I hate orange peel.... Unreasonably so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk