PDA

View Full Version : Ding question related to clear coat

Toolhead
09-29-2016, 07:01 PM
Question about very very slight dings.

So slight you can only see it when lighting hits it from a certain angle.

If the surface of the ding is completely smooth ...is it likely that clear coat is undamaged...running back if finger over rest of the panel and the ding...no difference in smoothness...

2nd question...pdr...any thoughts if pdr will further weaken paint and or metal panel by rebending process?

GSKR
09-29-2016, 08:50 PM
No.The worst spot to get a dent is on the body line.The body line gives the sheet metal strength.If the dent is sharp and deep the repair may crack the paint.

EWtheDETAILER
09-29-2016, 09:01 PM
Can you get a picture of the defect?

Toolhead
09-29-2016, 09:44 PM
Can you get a picture of the defect?

The ding is so slight that it wont show in pic...only visible in one angle in sunlight.

It looks like it was pushed in..total area is size of a penny...but extremely slight...

If you stare at without lighting..its unnoticeable.

I have no plans on any type of repair...more concerned that clear coat was damage but again..smooth as glass.

More than likely clear coat undamaged?

There is no break in th gloss surface and no creasing..its probably as ligh of a ding as you can get

oldmodman
09-30-2016, 03:45 AM
A very slight ding is the perfect patient for the PDR Doctor. And if you find the right guy he may be willing to several for the price of one. Mainly due to their being so slight. I had a PDF guy in Santa Monica that would charge by the hour. And he did beautiful work. Unfortunately he went back to Germany. And I have been unable to find one that was as big a perfectionist (anal) about turning out a perfect result.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-30-2016, 07:41 AM
GSKR is right, getting the ding out 100% on a body line is tough, instead be satisfied with about 85%-90% if the PDR guy is good.

If the surface of the ding is completely smooth ...is it likely that clear coat is undamaged

Depends on what caused the ding. Most dings are caused by a shopping cart or an unconscious person who throws their door into yours and walks away. Odds are it will scratch the clear, and or leave paint transfer or both. The only way to remove the paint transfer and scratches is to abrade the paint by polish, in which you're removing less than 1/10th of a micron of clear. Once it's free of defects the PDR or dent wizard should be able to remove the ding, unless it's on said body line. In which if he's good he'll get about 90% of it. Such is the case with my car just yesterday....
Only time PDR becomes an issue is on aluminum vehicles (i.e. new Ford F150 or high end Audi's). I was talking to the PDR guy yesterday and he said it's like getting a dent out of a soda-can. Next to impossible.

2nd question...pdr...any thoughts if pdr will further weaken paint and or metal panel by rebending process?

I highly doubt it. I've had PDR done on two vehicles, one just yesterday as a matter of fact, and the other on my garage queen last year. The Ford dealership I go to has a standing order for Dent Wizard to come every Thursday. Why would a dealer need a standing order every Thursday? Cars come off the trucks with dings, etc... Point is, I wouldn't worry about it.

Toolhead
10-03-2016, 07:03 PM
GSKR is right, getting the ding out 100% on a body line is tough, instead be satisfied with about 85%-90% if the PDR guy is good.

Depends on what caused the ding. Most dings are caused by a shopping cart or an unconscious person who throws their door into yours and walks away. Odds are it will scratch the clear, and or leave paint transfer or both. The only way to remove the paint transfer and scratches is to abrade the paint by polish, in which you're removing less than 1/10th of a micron of clear. Once it's free of defects the PDR or dent wizard should be able to remove the ding, unless it's on said body line. In which if he's good he'll get about 90% of it. Such is the case with my car just yesterday....
Only time PDR becomes an issue is on aluminum vehicles (i.e. new Ford F150 or high end Audi's). I was talking to the PDR guy yesterday and he said it's like getting a dent out of a soda-can. Next to impossible.

I highly doubt it. I've had PDR done on two vehicles, one just yesterday as a matter of fact, and the other on my garage queen last year. The Ford dealership I go to has a standing order for Dent Wizard to come every Thursday. Why would a dealer need a standing order every Thursday? Cars come off the trucks with dings, etc... Point is, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for answering the question fully...

When you say body line...what are you referring to?

LSNAutoDetailing
10-03-2016, 07:09 PM
Thanks for answering the question fully...

When you say body line...what are you referring to?

Body line or design line. A designed body curve or line in a door panel or hood. (pencil outline on photo shows body lines.)
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/Mustang030308/IMG_9604%20-%20Copy_zpsmuhpj9lu.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/Mustang030308/media/IMG_9604%20-%20Copy_zpsmuhpj9lu.jpg.html)

it's very difficult to get the ding out on a body line. And yes, I had PDR done on this car last year, in two locations on the passenger side. Came out amazing and today, even with a detaliers eye, I cannot tell you to save my life where they were.