PDA

View Full Version : Currently have a GG6 --> move onto Flex 3401 or Rupes?

CC268
09-28-2016, 05:17 PM
So I started out with a GG6 and have both 4" and 5.5" pads for it (about every color of LC Flat pad you can buy). I kind of wish I would have bought a Flex 3401 off the bat, but it is what it is now. I know there are a ton of different threads on the Flex vs. the Rupes...many of which I have read. I have a feeling that the Flex 3401 is probably my best bet, but I figure I would get some feedback here.

I don't do this for a living, in fact I don't even detail a lot (other than personal vehicles and the occasional friends car)...but I just feel like I should buy a Flex 3401 lol. It would be really nice for the occasional boat detail as well.

VISITOR
09-28-2016, 07:15 PM
if you aren't going to be using it often, then why spend $350 plus dollars when you have a capable polisher now. if feel like you'll eventually move up and do more details then get the flex (or G21 if you want a long throw DA). keep the GG6...

WaxMaster1
09-28-2016, 07:20 PM
I have the GG6, actually two of them which are both set up with 5" backing plates. I also have a Rupes 15 and a Flex 3401. Personally, I would use that money for other stuff. I can accomplish any work I need done with the Griot's.

GSKR
09-28-2016, 08:31 PM
I have the GG6, actually two of them which are both set up with 5" backing plates. I also have a Rupes 15 and a Flex 3401. Personally, I would use that money for other stuff. I can accomplish any work I need done with the Griot's.
Agree.

CamaroSS27
09-28-2016, 08:37 PM
I love my Rupes

dlc95
09-28-2016, 08:53 PM
If you're not detailing often, it sounds like you have the appropriate tool. That gg6 is more than capable enough to handle what you might throw at it.

Cruzscarwash
09-28-2016, 10:25 PM
ive been where you are now, except i do this for a living my GG6 tackled any and everything i threw at it on a daily basis. yes it would stall on some curved panels and id have to change my pressure and do more passes for that area but it got the job done. i did end up get a flex 3401.. well 2 of them actually but again i use them almost daily. if i didn't id still only have a GG6

Wknd Dtlr
09-28-2016, 10:56 PM
CC268 - I know exactly where you're at right now. I've been fighting the urge to buy a G21 all year long. I have a GG6 and an original version of PC and have all size of backing plates and pads. I am simply an enthusiast so I don't do much detailing any more. However, when I do the occasional correction on my wife's DD or a friend's car I always wonder how much quicker and smoother it would be with a G21. However, by the time you buy all the pads you need you're probably looking at dropping $500 or more.

Like many hobbies, it never pencils out financially but sometimes when you reach a proficiency level in detailing you WANT ( not need ) to have nice tools. This detailing OCD can really take a grip on you so I suspect you'll be debating this in your mind for quite a while. The 3401 is a fine tool so this will be a tough one.

Too bad we don't live closer so we could buy one of each tool and share them! Good luck on your decision making process!

VISITOR
09-28-2016, 11:04 PM
i did end up get a flex 3401.. well 2 of them actually but again i use them almost daily.

this is ideal for someone who does this for money where time is an issue, where each one will have their own backing plate and pads...

CC268
09-28-2016, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys you guys are right...it would be a waste.

emmjay
09-29-2016, 12:53 AM
I'd stay stick with the GG6 if its getting you results. You are not pressed for time, nor are you chasing heavy defects (right?). In that case, stick with GG6.

If you ever feel you want to work on more cars, harder paint, heavy defects, you can decide to get the jack of all trades....the beast....the flex (nice intro eh).

For now use the money on trying new products and perfecting your technique with the GG6 and maybe down the line get a flex.

If however, you have the cash thats burning a hole in your pocket, get the flex and enjoy its capabilities. If you ever need it, you have it ready.

dlc95
09-29-2016, 08:06 AM
CC268 - I know exactly where you're at right now. I've been fighting the urge to buy a G21 all year long. I have a GG6 and an original version of PC and have all size of backing plates and pads. I am simply an enthusiast so I don't do much detailing any more. However, when I do the occasional correction on my wife's DD or a friend's car I always wonder how much quicker and smoother it would be with a G21. However, by the time you buy all the pads you need you're probably looking at dropping $500 or more.

Like many hobbies, it never pencils out financially but sometimes when you reach a proficiency level in detailing you WANT ( not need ) to have nice tools. This detailing OCD can really take a grip on you so I suspect you'll be debating this in your mind for quite a while. The 3401 is a fine tool so this will be a tough one.

Too bad we don't live closer so we could buy one of each tool and share them! Good luck on your decision making process!

This is true also.

Last night one of my adult drumming students called me. He was telling me that one of the drummers around town that he previously called to help him, berated him for "having equiptment beyond his skill level". What this guy didn't understand was that the enthusiast drummer had the means, and the desire to buy tools that inspired him. He has professional grade equiptment, and he's starting to really sound good on them.

The point is that he could have purchased a beginner or intermediate drum set right off the bat, but he would always wonder how much better the nice stuff sounded.

If you never get your hands on the Flex 3401, how will you know?

Who knows? It could mean that you actively pursue more cars to work on, because each car might take less time and effort. Those cars you do could offset the cost of the new tool, and there you are with a tool that is more aligned with your style of polishing.

But...

That's if you end up liking the tool!

emmjay
09-29-2016, 09:50 AM
This is true also.

Last night one of my adult drumming students called me. He was telling me that one of the drummers around town that he previously called to help him, berated him for "having equiptment beyond his skill level". What this guy didn't understand was that the enthusiast drummer had the means, and the desire to buy tools that inspired him. He has professional grade equiptment, and he's starting to really sound good on them.

The point is that he could have purchased a beginner or intermediate drum set right off the bat, but he would always wonder how much better the nice stuff sounded.

If you never get your hands on the Flex 3401, how will you know?

Who knows? It could mean that you actively pursue more cars to work on, because each car might take less time and effort. Those cars you do could offset the cost of the new tool, and there you are with a tool that is more aligned with your style of polishing.

But...

That's if you end up liking the tool!

Very nicely put bud!