PDA

View Full Version : Tree Sap in Upholstery

Optimistina
09-28-2016, 03:04 PM
I'm curious about what's the best AutoGeek-approved product for getting tree sap out of a car seat? At least I hope this is tree sap... I don't want to ruin the upholstery any more than I have to. Thanks in advance!

Mike lambert
09-28-2016, 04:03 PM
Dab it with 91 percent alcohol. It should soften it up so you can remove it. You can also get a can of compressed air and turn it upside down, spray it and it will freeze it. Scrape it off with a plastic blade.

Optimistina
09-29-2016, 11:07 AM
Thanks! I'm going to try the compressed air/plastic blade technique first because I'm really nervous about messing up with the alcohol and somehow bleaching my seat. I know that's ridiculous and I'm being paranoid but the upholstery is pretty dark so I get nervous LOL

parttimer
09-29-2016, 12:56 PM
IPA removes it from clothes, been there, done that! I wouldn't worry about cloth upholstery.

Eldorado2k
09-29-2016, 01:05 PM
Would the alcohol also remove gum from carpet? Or what's the best way to remove gum from a carpet matt?

Mike lambert
09-29-2016, 01:49 PM
Freeze it and scrape it off

Mantilgh
09-29-2016, 06:17 PM
Would the alcohol also remove gum from carpet? Or what's the best way to remove gum from a carpet matt?

I use a citrus solvent based cleaner, it dissolves it. It makes oil stains disappear too.

Not sure how it works on sap, I should try it sometime.

Optimistina
09-30-2016, 10:46 AM
IPA removes it from clothes, been there, done that! I wouldn't worry about cloth upholstery.

LOL Good point! Like one of the posters above mentioned, I'd heard citrus too and even some products like Goo Gone but I figured there might be a solution I had around the house. I've been a bit lazy and haven't tried any of the methods yet but I'm sure I'll be having company in the car at some point this weekend so I feel like today is the day to get this mess handled. Thanks for your help, everyone!

Optimistina
10-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Just as an update: tried the alcohol and I had a bit of compressed air around the house so I tried that as well. It took some finesse but it actually worked! You can hardly tell any sap was on the seat. Thanks so much, guys!