PDA

View Full Version : Screwed up my car - please help!

Pages : [1] 2

Jman136
09-28-2016, 12:29 PM
Hello!

So, I just bought a 2016 Nissan Rogue SL AWD. Anyway, I noticed a small scratch, so like I've done in the past I attempted to remove it with Megs Scratch X 2.0. It did remove the scratch but now I have a "haze" spot from where k used the product.

How do do I fix this? 28@" duragloss 105 which cleans and polishes it work? I am doing everything by hand. Is there a really
good product for this?

Last, i noticed on my back door when the sun hits it just right, I have what appears to be a small circle (almost haze look). I checked the paint and clear coat. Both feel super smooth in that area. No cracked paint, etc. Any idea what that is and how to fix it?

i really need seme help! Thanks all!

Mike Phillips
09-28-2016, 12:36 PM
With what did you apply the ScratchX?

That is, what type of applicator?

Welcome to AGO

:)

OCDetails
09-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Doing things by hand makes it tough. ScratchX is pretty abrasive, so that is why it left a haze. You will need to polish it with something less abrasive in order to remove the haze. Doing this by hand can be really tricky since it is hard to generate the speed and friction necessary to break down compounds to finer particles to avoid hazing. I don't think Duragloss 105 is going to work for you. You need another compound to cut the paint and not just a wax that doesn't really do any cutting. Maybe head to the local auto part store and grab some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or Polish. One of those should help make a dent. Pictures would also help to know better how to advise.

Mike Phillips
09-28-2016, 12:42 PM
I am doing everything by hand.

I used to teach how to work by hand when I taught all the Meguiar's classes in Irvine, the thing I like to point out is that working by hand actually requires a LOT more technique to do it right than working with the simplest of tools, the Porter Cable 7424XP with a simple foam pad.

You could take a PC, a Lake Country 5.4" white foam polishing pad and ScratchX and go back over that area and it would look perfect.

Then apply any wax to seal the paint.

Is there a really good product for this?

ScratchX is as good as any normal compound or polish that uses great abrasive technology.

The problem is when working by hand you have uneven pressure PLUS whatever it is you're pressing the ScratchX against the paint with.

Normally to remove defects out of hard, scratch-sensitive clearcoats by hand you start with a fiber pad like a microfiber applicator pad because FIBER is a form of abrasive and it gives the ScratchX or whatever compound or polish you're using more BITE.

Then you can re-apply the same product, ScratchX or whatever compound or polish you're using only this time apply with soft, clean FOAM applicator pads. You basically use the abrasive, not the foam to shmoo over the area you worked the fiber applicator pad to remove the MARRING caused by the fibers.

:)

Jman136
09-28-2016, 05:01 PM
I applied the Scratch X 2.0 with a yellow Meguiars foam applicator. I worked the product in until it appeared to broken down all the way. I then wipe away the residual.

So, my question is, at this point what do I do to correct it? I really hate to go to a professional, but that may be the case.

Will Duragloss #105 (says it cleans and polishes in one step) correct the haze? I could always do an extra application of it?

Last, where is the best place/price to buy a Porter Cable. I should just invest in one!

DaveT435
09-28-2016, 05:20 PM
I applied the Scratch X 2.0 with a yellow Meguiars foam applicator. I worked the product in until it appeared to broken down all the way. I then wipe away the residual.

So, my question is, at this point what do I do to correct it? I really hate to go to a professional, but that may be the case.

Will Duragloss #105 (says it cleans and polishes in one step) correct the haze? I could always do an extra application of it?

Last, where is the best place/price to buy a Porter Cable. I should just invest in one!

If there are any members on here close to you I'm sure they wouldn't mind polishing out one little spot for you using a polisher, I know I wouldn't. where do you live?

rlmccarty2000
09-28-2016, 05:20 PM
The best place to invest in a Porter Cable is right here where the advise is free.

Jman136
09-28-2016, 05:47 PM
I live in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Right at the WI/IL border. Does anyone on this forum live around here? I'm more than happy to PT for their time!

GenesisCoupe
09-28-2016, 06:11 PM
The black Rogue paint is very very soft.

Give Chicago Auto Pros a call in Glenview, IL.. That's not too far from Kenosha, and they are open on Saturdays. Call ahead.

DaveT435
09-28-2016, 08:02 PM
The black Rogue paint is very very soft.

Give Chicago Auto Pros a call in Glenview, IL.. That's not too far from Kenosha, and they are open on Saturdays. Call ahead.

That's interesting. Every Nissan and Infinity I'be worked on have had hard paint. Good to know the Rogue is soft. All the Rogues or just black, do you know?

Jeremy1976
09-28-2016, 08:19 PM
I live in Kenosha, Wisconsin. Right at the WI/IL border. Does anyone on this forum live around here? I'm more than happy to PT for their time!
I am about an hour North of Milwaukee.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jeremy1976
09-28-2016, 08:33 PM
You make the trip here I will fix it free of charge for you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GenesisCoupe
09-28-2016, 08:50 PM
That's interesting. Every Nissan and Infinity I'be worked on have had hard paint. Good to know the Rogue is soft. All the Rogues or just black, do you know?

I worked on the previous generation rogue and the red was soft but the white was on the harder side. The black Nissan's with no pearls i always experienced them to be soft. There was someone with a new black Leaf and the paint was also super soft.

DaveT435
09-28-2016, 09:05 PM
I worked on the previous generation rogue and the red was soft but the white was on the harder side. The black Nissan's with no pearls i always experienced them to be soft. There was someone with a new black Leaf and the paint was also super soft.

The only black one I did was an Infinity. It was a solid black and rock hard. It was swirled pretty bad, I ended up hitting it with a rotary and wool. Of course they may use different paint on Infinities. I've got a black Sentra coming up. It'll be interesting to see what the paint on that one is like.

kevincwelch
09-28-2016, 10:02 PM
I live in Oak Park, IL.

Heck, if you come down here next Sunday to the Rise and Drive event, forum member Klasse Act and I will be there and can take a look, and I'll bring some products if you come! (I don't speak for Klasse Act, but he's such a Class Act and all around nice guy that I'm sure he'd agree with me to take a look and lend a hand!)

https://www.facebook.com/riseanddrive/