PDA

View Full Version : Dapolisher purchase for new user advice

Pages : [1] 2

Toolhead
09-28-2016, 05:50 AM
Coming out of handwaxing 3 step mothers system for decades.

if cost isnt a concern..thoughts about starting with flex 3401 off the bat?

also...will i need a mini polisher? Compact model for small panels..ie pillars?

if so...are pneumatics just as good?

for the small areas id like to consider getting a pneumatic to stay somewhat within a reasonable startoff budget.

have an 8 gallon oil compressor which i would think is enough air power to drive the pneumatic for small areas

thanks

GSKR
09-28-2016, 05:57 AM
3401 is a great machine once you get use to it.Takes it a bit of practice to master that tool.

Setec Astronomy
09-28-2016, 06:13 AM
I agree with GSKR; I'm not sure a 3401 is the best "first" polisher.

Pneumatic is good for the small areas, just make sure the output of your compressor is sufficient.

VISITOR
09-28-2016, 06:14 AM
if you don't already own a traditional PC-style DA then i would consider it. every detailer/enthusiast should own at least one. with the different backing plates & pads available these days, you'll have most all your basis covered...

Mantilgh
09-28-2016, 07:17 AM
I'd go with a Rupes or Griots Boss polisher if price is not much of a concern. Any small areas could be done by hand if you had too, or get a Rupes mini 12.

Mike has an article on air tool usage, and how they are air hogs. You will need a much higher capacity tank and higher CFM compressor to use it without having to stop frequently for it to build up again.

CC268
09-28-2016, 09:53 AM
Idk...I have a GG6 and love it, but I wish I would have gone straight for the Flex 3401...

emmjay
09-28-2016, 10:31 AM
I got the flex 3401 as my first and only polisher.

Hear me out: You get a PC or GG6 and love it, and then you want more because they don't cut it...you get the flex due to this. You then wish you got it first thing. So just get the flex to begin with, and enjoy!

I knew from my research that the PC style machine would eventually not be enough. I got lucky that we don't get the PC here. My only options were meguiars, flex and rupes. Flex won my pro's and con's list by a large margin so I bought it.

All the best and let us know how you get on!

emmjay
09-28-2016, 10:32 AM
I'd go with a Rupes or Griots Boss polisher if price is not much of a concern. Any small areas could be done by hand if you had too, or get a Rupes mini 12.

Mike has an article on air tool usage, and how they are air hogs. You will need a much higher capacity tank and higher CFM compressor to use it without having to stop frequently for it to build up again.

Or just get a flex and go into most areas. It won't bog down, the throw isnt so large that you cant do edges properly and most important, you can use Mike's edging technique with the Flex. Not with the rupes...ever.

If you get a rupes 21, you need another rupes to go along with it, like you said the mini. I just don't like that about rupes.

Just get a flex with 5" pads and you're good!

emmjay
09-28-2016, 10:35 AM
3401 is a great machine once you get use to it.Takes it a bit of practice to master that tool.

I agree 100%. I got used to it after a couple of panels.

The first time I used it, I purposely did 3 panels first. The hood, the rear trunk and a fender. Master these areas and the rest is easy.

Not to mention - the Flex teaches YOU how to use the tool.

OCDetails
09-28-2016, 10:37 AM
The 3401 is a great polisher. It is a little heavy and awkward, but that is only if you are transitioning from a lighter polisher. A PC 7424, griots, meguiar's, or Rupes polisher may be a lighter machine, but I've really had nothing but amazing experiences with the Flex 3401. It is an amazing machine that gets the job done well. Honestly, if price isn't an issue, then I would get the FLEX. I started my son on the PC only because it is ligher and easier to use, but as far as a beginner tool for someone with some forearm strength, it doesn't get better than the 3401.

CC268
09-28-2016, 12:47 PM
I need to buy a 3401...just don't want to have to buy all the pads again lol...

Paul A.
09-28-2016, 07:53 PM
I love my Flex 3401 and use both sizes of LC Hybrid pads on it (6.5" and 5") with the oem backing plate and the 4" interchangeable plate. My only criticism of the Flex is that i can't go any smaller than 5" pads with it. I resort to my rotary and my PC to get below 5" pads for the tight areas. I love the 2" pads on my rotary and a 2.75" BP and 3" pads on my PC.

If i only had 1 machine to use i would absolutely get one that can acommodate the widest range of pad diameters.

VISITOR
09-28-2016, 08:10 PM
I need to buy a 3401...just don't want to have to buy all the pads again lol...

if you would like to use 5.5" pads that have 5 inches of hook & loop, you would get the flex 4 3/8 backing plate...

shadwell
09-28-2016, 09:27 PM
If your set in the Flex and want right access then just get a cheap rotary and a 3 and 5 inch backing plate and pads...
All could be had for less than 150 in addition to the flex...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlc95
09-28-2016, 09:40 PM
Nothing wrong with starting with 3401. Great machine, takes all types of pads. I always found it to be a very smooth, consistent running machine.

I sold mine, and considered buying it back, but microfiber pads on a traditional style random orbital (in my case, the Porter Cable), kind of make up the difference in defect removal - for me.

I also have to reconcile myself to the fact that I just enjoy power tools in general, and miss the genral build quality, and feel of the 3041.