PDA

View Full Version : New rinseless wash guy....

Pages : [1] 2

Jeremy1976
09-27-2016, 05:27 PM
I want to start doing RW's this winter here in Wisconsin. First time ever and I am very skeptical with possible scratches from doing so. I would like your opinions on my method.

I have Super Wash literally 3 blocks from my house. So quick pressure wash there to get any heavy contaminants and road salt off. Bring it home. Garage is heated. Presoak with a sprayer, then 2 bucket wash with multiple MF'S. Can always finish off with D156.

I am thinking ONR wax and shine. I also see there is a red sponge available specifically for RW. Anyone have any input in that and my method?

Every fiber in my body says no to RW's. It's something definitely out of the norm for me. Being I do not have a water hookup in my garage I am limited to this option.

For me the pressure washing, pre soak, and never putting a dirty rag back into the solution is a must for me. I guess I'm just looking for you guys to make me feel warm and fuzzy about this washing method....

My cars paint is immaculate at this time. I'd like to keep it that way..

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TTQ B4U
09-27-2016, 05:32 PM
Nothing to worry about with Rinseless if done right. I'll send you a PM with some information.

srpurdy
09-27-2016, 05:40 PM
I just bought some ONR myself planning to do the same thing. I will give you my planned method which may seem more aggressive than yours lol.

Salt Soiled car
2 buckets -
1 clean water bucket
1 bucket with onr. 3 microfiber wash mitts.
1 spray bottle of onr with detail spray dilution.
Pre-spray panel before using wash mitts.
1 or 2 buffing drying towels.

So I split the car into 3. top middle bottom. 1 mit for top, 1 for middle and 1 for bottom. If needed I will clean these mitts out in the clean water. Basically this method is exactly same method that can be used for a regular wash. Just I am not rinsing before or after. (but you could consider my detail spray of ONR as a rinse before the wash. and a better one actually.

Here is my theory on this. You are washing your car with regular soap. I doubt very much most people here are doing a single wipe with wash mitt, and than cleaning it off in the water. No matter what using a soap 2 bucket wash you will get scratches eventually over time. So for me ONR is exactly the same. The only difference is it has no suds... So by pre-soaking the panel I am adding some lubication to the panel. Probably more lubication than I would with just regular water. Then I am using a slick formula (same as any wash soap) to glide over the surface. So for me there is an equal chance of scatching doing this method than there is doing a regular wash. Just don't apply heavy pressure, but who does that anyway?

To me the 15 towel method seems overly crazy. Maybe I am wrong, but I will find out this winter LOL. My car will be the test subject. So if my freshly polished car ends up with a lot of marring I will be sure to change my method, but my guess is it won.t

The part people can't get over is :

1) suds == no scratches which is just not true.
2) pre-rinse == removing loose dirt to prevent scratches? Okay but isn't embeded dirt more liekly to scratch than loose dirt? I mean loose dirt will be the first to go into your wash mitt. The embeded dirt is more likely to resist being removed which is more likely to scratch. So with a pre-soak of ONR I think you actually decrease the chances of scratches, compared to using just water in a hose.

Once you can get over those two things, it's really easy to udnerstand that a rinsless wash can and will work just as well, and in some cases better than a regular 2 bucket wash.

Shawn

CC268
09-27-2016, 05:41 PM
I feel exactly the same...I have never done a Rinseless or Waterless Wash...I know it is all in my head, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I have a big truck though and I go down dirt roads, etc...so I am not sure how viable it would be for me to do a Rinseless or Waterless.

GSKR
09-27-2016, 06:11 PM
I want to start doing RW's this winter here in Wisconsin. First time ever and I am very skeptical with possible scratches from doing so. I would like your opinions on my method.

I have Super Wash literally 3 blocks from my house. So quick pressure wash there to get any heavy contaminants and road salt off. Bring it home. Garage is heated. Presoak with a sprayer, then 2 bucket wash with multiple MF'S. Can always finish off with D156.

I am thinking ONR wax and shine. I also see there is a red sponge available specifically for RW. Anyone have any input in that and my method?

Every fiber in my body says no to RW's. It's something definitely out of the norm for me. Being I do not have a water hookup in my garage I am limited to this option.

For me the pressure washing, pre soak, and never putting a dirty rag back into the solution is a must for me. I guess I'm just looking for you guys to make me feel warm and fuzzy about this washing method....

My cars paint is immaculate at this time. I'd like to keep it that way..

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using TapatalkI agree with your body and paint.When I lived in New York I would full service tunnel wash it.But on the other hand you have a heated garage so go for it .

Jeremy1976
09-27-2016, 06:37 PM
I just bought some ONR myself planning to do the same thing. I will give you my planned method which may seem more aggressive than yours lol.

Salt Soiled car
2 buckets -
1 clean water bucket
1 bucket with onr. 3 microfiber wash mitts.
1 spray bottle of onr with detail spray dilution.
Pre-spray panel before using wash mitts.
1 or 2 buffing drying towels.

So I split the car into 3. top middle bottom. 1 mit for top, 1 for middle and 1 for bottom. If needed I will clean these mitts out in the clean water. Basically this method is exactly same method that can be used for a regular wash. Just I am not rinsing before or after. (but you could consider my detail spray of ONR as a rinse before the wash. and a better one actually.

Here is my theory on this. You are washing your car with regular soap. I doubt very much most people here are doing a single wipe with wash mitt, and than cleaning it off in the water. No matter what using a soap 2 bucket wash you will get scratches eventually over time. So for me ONR is exactly the same. The only difference is it has no suds... So by pre-soaking the panel I am adding some lubication to the panel. Probably more lubication than I would with just regular water. Then I am using a slick formula (same as any wash soap) to glide over the surface. So for me there is an equal chance of scatching doing this method than there is doing a regular wash. Just don't apply heavy pressure, but who does that anyway?

To me the 15 towel method seems overly crazy. Maybe I am wrong, but I will find out this winter LOL. My car will be the test subject. So if my freshly polished car ends up with a lot of marring I will be sure to change my method, but my guess is it won.t

The part people can't get over is :

1) suds == no scratches which is just not true.
2) pre-rinse == removing loose dirt to prevent scratches? Okay but isn't embeded dirt more liekly to scratch than loose dirt? I mean loose dirt will be the first to go into your wash mitt. The embeded dirt is more likely to resist being removed which is more likely to scratch. So with a pre-soak of ONR I think you actually decrease the chances of scratches, compared to using just water in a hose.

Once you can get over those two things, it's really easy to udnerstand that a rinsless wash can and will work just as well, and in some cases better than a regular 2 bucket wash.

Shawn

Thanks for the info! I am on the right track and taking extra precautions. I will have to get on YouTube and do some more research. Thanks again!

Jeremy1976
09-27-2016, 06:45 PM
Nothing to worry about with Rinseless if done right. I'll send you a PM with some information.

Got it and thank you! Messaged you back!

Detailsbydaniel
09-27-2016, 06:46 PM
I don't care for a mit or sponge approach myself but others report good success. I like the ocd approach using microfiber towels and once they are dirty they don't touch the paint again.

I haven't found a towel i trust enough here on ag personally but I'll keep that to myself out of respect for the vendors forum rules. I use 8-10 towles on a is250 and have no marring induced by the rinseless process.

I pre soak liberally panel by panel as I go. I got a great tip last year when it's winter use very warm water as it helps break down the funk better.

I personally do not care for the Rinsless products with wax myself but we all enjoy different things in life. I would rather apply a sealant once a month in the winter.

Hope you have great results this winter.

GSKR
09-27-2016, 06:55 PM
Sprayway glass cleaner is awesome for your situation.Deosnt make sense but it's so gentle and effective .Spray the foam and let it do the work for you. And believe it or not doesn't strip wax.Great on tires and rims and makes a awesome clay lube.I carry 8 to 10 cans with me all the time for certain task.Give it a try on a panel mixed with some spraywax.Drench the fender then spraywax over the foam and simply wipe.you will be blown away by the simplicity.

Jeremy1976
09-27-2016, 06:55 PM
I don't care for a mit or sponge approach myself but others report good success. I like the ocd approach using microfiber towels and once they are dirty they don't touch the paint again.

I haven't found a towel i trust enough here on ag personally but I'll keep that to myself out of respect for the vendors forum rules. I use 8-10 towles on a is250 and have no marring induced by the rinseless process.

I pre soak liberally panel by panel as I go. I got a great tip last year when it's winter use very warm water as it helps break down the funk better.

I personally do not care for the Rinsless products with wax myself but we all enjoy different things in life. I would rather apply a sealant once a month in the winter.

Hope you have great results this winter.

Thank you. What rinseless wash do you use?

cleanfreak3
09-27-2016, 07:03 PM

Can you PM me that information too? ;) Thanks!!

LEDetailing
09-27-2016, 10:38 PM
I bought two gamma seals for my five gallon buckets, fill one with hot water, fill the other with hot water and soap. Seal with the gamma lids. Go to your local coin op wash. Bring a couple wash mitts (in case you drop one), couple MF drying towels and some Meg's D156. You just have to pick those days where it is hovering around or above freezing. If you kick butt, you can be out of the wash bay in 20 minutes w/drying. I have taken as long as 40 minutes with spray wax and cleaning the Weathertech mats. Don't forget your waterproof boots and stocking hat. I have never left the wash bay without sweating.

This is the method i use all winter long. No heated garage for me in WI. It gets expensive pumping $5-7.50 per wash into the quarter wash, but it beats the touch less/worthless washes at Kwik Trip. Plus I can get all the frozen ice boogers and salt off the wheel wells and frame. Use this method when you don't feel comfortable using the rinse less. When your car isn't that bad, just spray it off, come home and rinse less wash.

chet31
09-28-2016, 12:45 AM
There's no need for your dirty towels to touch your clean solution. Make 2-gallons of solution, put one gallon in a garden sprayer. Throw 10-12 towels in your remaining one gallon, then spray the car w/ your garden sprayer solution. Wipe down the car with the towels you have soaking, throw them in an empty bucket when dirty. Constant fresh towels on your clear coat, dirty towels never touch your clean solution.

emmjay
09-28-2016, 12:56 AM
I was extremely skeptical too, until I gave it a shot. Have been doing it for 4 months now. I actually feel its safer than the 2bm wash.

My method is the Garry Dean Method. Look it up for more details...I use only 2 gallons of water and 6-8 edgeless towels. So no 2bm, no grit guards, nothing. This is because my contaminated towel never touches the paint or the solution.

Before you begin, dunk your towels into the wash solution and leave it there.

1. Pressure rinse or spray rinse if need be
2. Pre soak panel with same ratio as wash solution in a pump sprayer.
3. Take one towel folded 4 ways
4. Now, this is where I do things a little different. I use a method I think Michael Stoops of meguairs showed. I drag the towel across the paint in only direction but....I dont use the full face of the towel. I fold it in such a way that each side of the towel is used 3 times...SO I Fold it all the way back, use one swipe and get one line of dirt on the towel. I then unfold the towel a bit so I get a new area, while the used area is now hidden, then another swipe, and then one more. Only 3 per side. I then flip and continue the same mehtod on a new side of the towel. Once done with the PANEL, I use a full face of the towel to do a final wipe on the panel, and then dry with a 600gsm Plush towel, lightly misted with UBER if using UBER or D156 is using ONR.
5. Stand back and admire.
6. If any solution is left in the bucket , I pour it into my pump sprayer for next time. (Thanks SizzleChest for the tip).
7. Do the glass with glass waffle weaves.
8. Do the wheels which a cheap waffle weave
9. Wash glass and rinseless towels with 3D towelkleen.

BadgerRivFan
09-28-2016, 06:15 AM
I want to start doing RW's this winter here in Wisconsin.

For me the pressure washing, pre soak, and never putting a dirty rag back into the solution is a must for me.

I'm also in Wisconsin and used this exact method to maintain my wife's car and my car this past winter. My rinseless wash product of choice was WG Uber. Worked great and I will continue to use the same method this year.

I did not go to the coin-op to pressure rinse the cars every time I rinseless washed (only after getting snow and when road salt was used), but when I did I took my pump sprayer and presoaked the car with Uber (at waterless wash dilution ratio) to break down the salt and other contaminants before pressure rinsing.

Then home to my shop just a few blocks away to do the full Uber rinseless wash using the Garry Dean method (multiple microfiber towels, never contaminating my rinseless solution). Most times I used a drying aid (although not really necessary with Uber) alternating between Prima Hydro, FK425, and a few other QDs & spray wax products just to play around a little bit...

Like Richard Griot says "Have fun in your garage."