PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Coating a Single Stage Paint.

Maestro Sam
09-27-2016, 03:37 PM
About to perform a paint correction on a Lexus Sc400 black in color with single stage paint I believe. Read some pros and cons about coating a single stage paint. Some people state that it will be a waste of money. Read a lot of mix reviews so if anyone can chime in, that will be great. Also, will ceramic coating cause a negative reaction with the paint?
Thanks!

zmcgovern45
09-27-2016, 04:52 PM
We just coated a 1999 Porsche that had some original single stage paint... I noticed no difference in application from the clear coated areas and the original single stage areas. Keep in mind I have done no long term testing of any coating on single stage paint and work very little with single stage paint, but I thought I would chime in with our most recent experience.

Mike lambert
09-27-2016, 05:30 PM
I have been told that coating will not last on single stage, they are designed to bond to the clears? I've been told they get splotchy as they wear. Are you sure this Lexus IS single stage?

FUNX650
09-27-2016, 05:51 PM
•Many Coatings' original, intended purposes
were to protect Clear-Coat paint from the
possibility of experiencing premature failure:
-due to exposure to "The Elements"
-due to being "Over-polished"

•Whenever questions arose about their
compatibility with Single-stage paints...
-There was usually a disclaimer about
them not having undergone any
"long-term testing" on SS-paint.

-In other words: proceed "of your own accord".

•I'll suggest that contacting the Coatings'
manufacturers/official spokespersons...will
yield the most up-to-date information about
their Coating(s)' comparability on SS-paint.

Bob

GSKR
09-27-2016, 06:33 PM
I have been told that coating will not last on single stage, they are designed to bond to the clears? I've been told they get splotchy as they wear. Are you sure this Lexus IS single stage?
Did a green one 2 years ago,I believe if not mistaken 1999 was the year of the car and was ss green.

Rsurfer
09-27-2016, 06:42 PM
Did a green one 2 years ago,I believe if not mistaken 1999 was the year of the car and was ss green.

Have you seen it lately?

WillSports3
09-27-2016, 07:59 PM
Depends on the coating used. Some coatings like Cquartz is outright admitted by their manufacturer that they don't know as they've never tested it. Others like mckee 37 says it's fine foe them.

Mike@ShineStruck
09-27-2016, 08:10 PM
I've did it on all 3 types ofsingle stage paints
Laquer, enamel and single Toyota urethane..
All seem to be lasting and preventing oxidation..
No bonding or streaking issues...

richy
09-27-2016, 10:02 PM
I did an old Alfa Romeo in the summer that had the front half painted with b/c and the back was ss (don't ask me why??). It will be interesting to see how the 2 halfs differ as time goes on. It rarely gets driven however from what I understand.

tdekany
09-27-2016, 10:06 PM
The issue with SS paint is that the Detailer may not remove all of the dead paint. So the coating will not last as long as on CCed cars. If you can explain it to the client and if he is ok with a couple of years (using pro products) go for it.

GSKR
09-28-2016, 06:19 AM
Have you seen it lately?

It's my brother in law car.

GSKR
09-28-2016, 06:23 AM
I didn't use a coating though.onestep and I was gone.practically did the car for nothing.140.00 for a quick onestep 2 hrs.Car was full of dents and a real pos.

Mike Phillips
09-28-2016, 07:03 AM
Here's the real deal...

It all comes down to the type of single stage paint.

Solvent-evaporation lacquers and enamels

If it's OLD SCHOOL like old solvent-evaporation lacquers or enamels then you're going to be a lot better off sticking to a traditional wax or sealant and not a paint coating because these paints are porous and applying a pure polish or glaze before sealing the paint brings out the full richness of color.

Products like pure polishes and glazes tend to be oily and thus a coatings cannot make a proper bond. If you chemically strip a porous single stage paint you will dull it down and that defeats the purpose of doing any correction and/or polishing work.

Big picture is you compound and polish paint to make it LOOK GOOD. Stripping single stage paint makes them LOOK BAD.

Modern catalyzed urethanes

If it's a MODERN URETHANE SINGLE STAGE PAINT then it's basically the same type of paint as a clearcoat and thus you can treat it like a clear coat so apply paint coatings to these types of paint till the cows come home.

There you go...

:dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
09-28-2016, 07:05 AM
Here's a full step-by-step how-to article for applying a coating to a MODERN single stage paint only this modern single stage paint is on a really cool old car.

Detailer’s Paint Coating on Single Stage Paint (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/67950-detailer-s-paint-coating-single-stage-paint.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1957/1932_Ford_Phaeton_005.jpg

:)