PDA

View Full Version : Oops on my CQuartz brand new car. Help?

hallfleming
09-25-2016, 04:00 PM
So instead of my usual Klasse sealant, I decided to go with CQuartz. I made a mistake after I prepped the car and applied CQuartz to every panel and then tried to go back to buff out the residual. I know now I should have done 1 panel at a time and buffed. It's 90 degrees in the garage and it hazed up fast! It's not the whole car but a lot of spots. So, I've got some Reload I thought about trying after I washed it today but it's been 24 hrs and thinking there's no hope.

If I do go back in the paint, what's a good polish and or procedure for removing themarks and redoing the CQuartz? It's a new car with 500 miles and no one's washed it but me. I've got some Griot's Finishing Sealant I thought about using and then doing the Eraser again. Should I just work the spots or whole panel? Since I screwed up and need to buy more products, maybe I can get a order in tonight before the sale ends!

Thanks in advance,

Hall

Rsurfer
09-25-2016, 04:36 PM
Use Car Pro Essence to level out the high spots. Essence is an AIO and does not need to be topped with CQuartz, but durability will be better if you do top it. You will not need to wipe down with Eraser, as Essence acts like a primer for CQuartz (SIo2).

Essence has semi permanent fillers so you won't have to chase every hair line swirl. Use it with a finishing pad like Car Pro Gloss Pad. You will enjoy working with Essence.

GSKR
09-25-2016, 04:56 PM
I agree with rsurfer,but here is the promblem your talking days to get product and those spots are gonna be harder to remove.I would get that off now with straight alcohol,do everything not just the high spots.Get yourself a user friendly coating like mckees 37.

hallfleming
09-25-2016, 05:23 PM
I agree with rsurfer,but here is the promblem your talking days to get product and those spots are gonna be harder to remove.I would get that off now with straight alcohol,do everything not just the high spots.Get yourself a user friendly coating like mckees 37.

Would the Eraser do the same as straight alcohol?

hallfleming
09-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Use Car Pro Essence to level out the high spots. Essence is an AIO and does not need to be topped with CQuartz, but durability will be better if you do top it. You will not need to wipe down with Eraser, as Essence acts like a primer for CQuartz (SIo2).

Essence has semi permanent fillers so you won't have to chase every hair line swirl. Use it with a finishing pad like Car Pro Gloss Pad. You will enjoy working with Essence.

Thank you for the response! I'll add that to the cart. Here's an example of my boo-boo.

GSKR
09-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Would the Eraser do the same as straight alcohol?
It should try it.To be safe I would strip those panels with some cleaner polish or alcohol.On some cars high spots gone undetected will require some machine polishing.play it safe and remove it.

GSKR
09-25-2016, 05:36 PM
Nice car,being that it's especially on the hood get it off.Looks like to much product you used there.you will be happy with McKee coating,it's totally a user friendly product that a 70 year old can apply and remove.

hallfleming
09-25-2016, 05:57 PM
Nice car,being that it's especially on the hood get it off.Looks like to much product you used there.you will be happy with McKee coating,it's totally a user friendly product that a 70 year old can apply and remove.

Thanks! I was worried I didn't get enough the first run through and the 2nd coat I must have done too much. I know now!

hallfleming
09-25-2016, 06:41 PM
I just tested a spot with with a microfiber and some rubbing alcohol. With some light rubbing, it came off. Could I just soak the microfiber in rubbing alcohol and remove it from my hazed panels and reapply the CQuartz?

GSKR
09-25-2016, 07:20 PM
Yes but don't kill it be gentle.

AutowerxDetailing
09-25-2016, 10:05 PM
I'd still probably polish each panel again if I were going to re-apply CQuartz. You'll want to make sure and remove any potential marring from the wipe-down process before re-coating everything. Shouldn't take long to just redo the whole car with one pass of Essence, or Reflect, or whatever polish you are using. That would likely be enough to eliminate all the high spots as well without the need for the alcohol wipe-down.

hallfleming
09-30-2016, 07:18 PM
Got it cleaned up mby reworking the whole car with Essence. Thanks Rsurfer for the recommendation and Nicholas for the idea. Loved the way it applied and it did bring a deeper shine to car. It was a pain having to go back. I had CQuartz marks everywhere! Super embarrassing. Plan on a buddy helping me this Sunday, one panel at a time!

Rsurfer
09-30-2016, 07:39 PM
Got it cleaned up mby reworking the whole car with Essence. Thanks Rsurfer for the recommendation and Nicholas for the idea. Loved the way it applied and it did bring a deeper shine to car. It was a pain having to go back. I had CQuartz marks everywhere! Super embarrassing. Plan on a buddy helping me this Sunday, one panel at a time!

Good luck and post some after pictures.