PDA

View Full Version : Hyper Dressing on RV tires.. Can anyone explain this?

Eldorado2k
09-25-2016, 09:12 AM
I'm experiencing some very strange results. When I 1st started maintaining this RV 1.5 yrs. ago there was absolutely nothing on these tires. This is a pic I took that 1st day before ever doing anything to the tires, as you can see it's bare rubber, nothing on it except dirt.

I started off by cleaning the tires with Megs Super Degreaser @4:1 and scrubbed them with a normL tire brush with great results. Finished them off with Hyper Dressing @1:1 spray and walk away, 2 coats. Great results IMO.

Somehow the tires have turned into an odd situation.. They're now impossible to clean. Just over a month ago I tried cleaning them with either Super Degreaser or D143 and even after 5 attempts they just wouldn't budge. It's turned the rubber into a funky mess, best way I can describe it is like trying to clean molasses off them, but it never stops.

I cleaned the RV again yesterday and didn't even bother trying to clean the tires this time, I just re applied some more Hyper Dressing with a flag tipped brush but it felt like I was applying pancake syrup. My brush is a sticky mess now.. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Or is there somekind of explanation as to why this happened? I'm really curious to find out.

Here's what the sticky mess looks like now. The tires feel like I applied Endurance Gel mixed with some Aunt Jemima Pancake Syrup.
They're Goodyear regroovable tires.

GSKR
09-25-2016, 10:58 AM
It is weird.I think it's the heat and the product.my experience with hyper is last year I would have a tin can and a paint brush filled with hyper dressing.4 days later it would turn into a molasses just as you described.The can was stored in my van,and with the generator or pressure washer running the van interior gets warm causing this promblem.I now only use aerosol dressing for tires.It may be a build up of hyper on tires.Deos he use it a lot,or is it parked most of the time.one good rain storm and I would assume that washes off that's why I ask if it's parked more than driven.

Eldorado2k
09-25-2016, 11:27 AM
It is weird.I think it's the heat and the product.my experience with hyper is last year I would have a tin can and a paint brush filled with hyper dressing.4 days later it would turn into a molasses just as you described.The can was stored in my van,and with the generator or pressure washer running the van interior gets warm causing this promblem.I now only use aerosol dressing for tires.It may be a build up of hyper on tires.Deos he use it a lot,or is it parked most of the time.one good rain storm and I would assume that washes off that's why I ask if it's parked more than driven.

I don't know how often he drives it. But I do know it goes places and doesn't just sit there because his kids have free reign to use it at anytime and stuff.. I wonder if it's due to the brush I started using to apply it. I dunno, I'm just glad he hasn't mentioned it being a problem, because with a different sort of customer this could definitely be something worth complaining about.. I'm absolutely certain it will never come fully clean from where it's at right now.

On my daily driver Hyper Dressing has become permanently soaked into the rubber, but the tires can at least be cleaned but remain "smooth, conditioned" and forever black but in a good way.. What's happened with these RV tires is similar but in a bad way somehow. Almost like the rubber doesn't fully allow it to soak in and maybe what I'm seeing is just baked Hyper Dressing on top of the rubber. I think that may be the cause.

umana2482
09-25-2016, 11:41 AM
I see that on some of my repeat customers. In think your problem is using Hyper dressing 1:1 and 2 coats. Too much product in other words.

LEDetailing
09-25-2016, 11:47 AM
I'm guessing heavy truck tires have a different compound in them too. That may play into the equation. I would try Poorboy's Bold and Bright tire shine/cleaner on your next RV detail. I can't see PB's ever giving you a problem and it looks great.

GSKR
09-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Maybe because of the number of ply rating on the rv tire deosnt let it dwell in like you said.I detailed a rv back in June and its never used.passed by the house the other day on a shortcut route and my tire dressing is still on there,not as strong glossy wise but it's there.To me a waterbased dressing on tires just deosnt last.When you go back there is the rubber sidewall have like a clinging magnetic dirt stuck to them.If so he is not using it frequently and you are just topping gel over gel repeatedly with the sunny climate you have there so its bonds like a gel.

Eldorado2k
09-25-2016, 12:06 PM
I see that on some of my repeat customers. In think your problem is using Hyper dressing 1:1 and 2 coats. Too much product in other words.

That could be a factor. I usually tend to apply more than a little of just about everything because I just can't help myself.. And with the size of those tires you can just imagine. Lol.

I'm guessing heavy truck tires have a different compound in them too. That may play into the equation. I would try Poorboy's Bold and Bright tire shine/cleaner on your next RV detail. I can't see PB's ever giving you a problem and it looks great.

That must be somekind of best kept secret product I've never heard about till now.. Because in order for it to clean these tires back to virgin it'd have to be best of all time type of degreaser/cleaner. I say that because I look at my daily drivers tires and won't even attempt to try to clean them back to a virgin state because of how Hyper Dressing has soaked into the rubber.. But these tires are in there and then some on top of it. And not even the top layer goop begins to come clean.

I keep thinking about the "regroovable" aspect of the tires and have a little fear I may be digging a grave into them if I mess up and could ruin them or somehow make them unsafe for travel. And I bet those tires cost a grip! I don't wanna be responsible for that situation so I've relaxed on trying the endless scubbing because it's like neverending black soot on my brushes. The Tuff Shine Tire Brush especially felt like I was carving into them instead of cleaning anything.

Eldorado2k
09-25-2016, 12:10 PM
Maybe because of the number of ply rating on the rv tire deosnt let it dwell in like you said.I detailed a rv back in June and its never used.passed by the house the other day on a shortcut route and my tire dressing is still on there,not as strong glossy wise but it's there.To me a waterbased dressing on tires just deosnt last.When you go back there is the rubber sidewall have like a clinging magnetic dirt stuck to them.If so he is not using it frequently and you are just topping gel over gel repeatedly with the sunny climate you have there so its bonds like a gel.

Recently it's more like molasses that I cannot even clean off prior to applying more because it looks a notch better then not re appling it..

Just imagine that documentary where that dude can only eat Mcdonalds for a whole month. There's no other option than to keep traveling down the rabbit hole. Lol.