PDA

View Full Version : Do I need dedicated microfibers for wiping off McKees Paint Coating?

CC268
09-24-2016, 09:30 AM
This is probably a stupid question, but do paint coating wash off microfibers when you wash them? Or is it like once they are used for wiping off a coating they have to only be used for coatings in the future?

Jeremy1976
09-24-2016, 09:34 AM
Just wash them with like towels and use a good microfiber detergent. Never dry them on high heat. Always inspect them prior to next use.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

CC268
09-24-2016, 09:45 AM
Okay I just didn't want to ruin all my good microfibers if the coating can't be washed off

Cruzscarwash
09-24-2016, 11:26 AM
I set aside 8 towels that I only use for M37 coating, I wash them after each use with my other exterior towels but I only use them to buff the coating

CC268
09-24-2016, 11:56 AM
Good grief...think I will avoid coatings then...not going to go and spend a bunch more money on coating specific towels.

emmjay
09-24-2016, 12:11 PM
Don't need to avoid them or get specific towels. I used PBL and Wolfgang Uber.

Dunk the towels in a bucket of APC + Water after each panel. Once you're done with the car just wash them with microfiber detergent. I just did that and I see no hardening evidence on my towels. Just to be safe I kept them in the bucket overnight to almost 2 days.

It is not a quartz based coating so nothing to worry about.

P.S. Use the short nap side of a plush towel or just a short nap good towel to wipe of the coating. Never use the plush side.

Cruzscarwash
09-24-2016, 12:14 PM
It's not needed and it does not harden your towels like quartz might, I just want to make sure I use specific towels the ensure it comes out it's best, after all the client is paying for some of the best

CC268
09-24-2016, 12:17 PM
This is just for my personal vehicle...I will be doing a coating literally once or twice a year...I guess for now I will use my Gold Plush Jrs

emmjay
09-24-2016, 12:23 PM
This is just for my personal vehicle...I will be doing a coating literally once or twice a year...I guess for now I will use my Gold Plush Jrs

Go for it. I did too. Just use the short nap side. I will still use the plush side for other uses (waxes + sealants).

But to be completely safe - I did purchase a 12 pack of the grey 530 gsm for coating removal. But having done two cars in a week, I had to use the gold plush too. I did not think that one through :P

But having asked others on here who have used the towels for coating removal, they still continue to use the towels after with no ill effect - As long as you dunk them in a bucket with warm water and APC you should be fine.

It's not needed and it does not harden your towels like quartz might, I just want to make sure I use specific towels the ensure it comes out it's best, after all the client is paying for some of the best

That is true as well. However, if doing it for personal vehicles, its a pinch to dedicate 6-8 towels for coating removal. But I am totally with you for the customer part, as he does pay for that too - in that case better safe than sorry.

CC268
09-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Go for it. I did too. Just use the short nap side. I will still use the plush side for other uses (waxes + sealants).

But to be completely safe - I did purchase a 12 pack of the grey 530 gsm for coating removal. But having done two cars in a week, I had to use the gold plush too.

That is true as well. However, if doing it for personal vehicles, its a pinch to dedicate 6-8 towels for coating removal. But I am totally with you for the customer part, as he does pay for that too - in that case better safe than sorry.

What do you guys recommend in terms of towels for removing coatings? I buy my towels elsewhere (although they are literally identical to what is sold here at AG).

emmjay
09-24-2016, 12:27 PM
What do you guys recommend in terms of towels for removing coatings? I buy my towels elsewhere (although they are literally identical to what is sold here at AG).

honestly, any good short nap towel will do. Just don't cheap out and get some all purpose towels, although some use that...

I feel the best towels for coating removal are probably Meguiars Supreme Shine. 3 pack for $8.99 ain't too bad and its entirely short nap, and does not lint one bit.

I wanted to use that, but those are my polish removal go to towels, and for that reason alone I got the 12 pack of the 530 gsm grey towels.

If your towels are identical to the ones at AG - stick to them - as they too probably have a short nap side.

CC268
09-24-2016, 12:38 PM
Yea so I have Gold Plush Jrs that I bought from AG and then some Gold Plush Jrs (different name) from another supplier. Anyways i couldnt even tell you which ones are which because they are exactly the same. Maybe I will order some more of those.

emmjay
09-24-2016, 01:24 PM
Yea so I have Gold Plush Jrs that I bought from AG and then some Gold Plush Jrs (different name) from another supplier. Anyways i couldnt even tell you which ones are which because they are exactly the same. Maybe I will order some more of those.

A Pm would be nice hehe

GSKR
09-24-2016, 01:39 PM
I don't invest in quality micros.If I have a special interest vehicle then I will buy a couple of Edgeless micros.The last thing I want to do is parting out different loads.Coating micros get tossed,not putting that I my home machine and that goes for lacquered thinner micros as well.I buy18 towels every month for 10.00.Airplane jobs I tack on 40.00 extra for micros,anything that touched a airplane as far as micros gets tossed in the garbage.

GSKR
09-24-2016, 01:42 PM
Short nap will work just fine for any coating,unless it's very soft paint or coating.