PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the current coat of sealant and wax when the time comes to reapply?

sheeponfire
09-24-2016, 03:57 AM
When looking at the various sealants and waxes I can't help but get stuck on the fact that it is important to have a clean as possible surface before applying them. Does this mean that all the previous layers of sealants and wax should be removed before applying a new coat?

For instance, for my major details I am: cleaning the car(Ironx soap) with foam cannon--->claying--->prepping paint (eraser)--->applying hydro2

for maintenance washes I am: cleaning car(Carpro reset) with foam cannon--->applying quick detailer (optimum instant detailer)

When I notice the hydro2 wearing off, should I do my detail steps outlined above? I know with hydro2, it can wear off quicker than other products and am worried that I will be creating more work for myself by having to do an entire detail every few weeks.
If so, will moving to a longer last sealant like reload allow me more time in between details?

Thank you,

parshooter
09-24-2016, 12:35 PM
I can't speak about sealants, as I've never used them. For waxes, I will strip the car down in the spring (wash, Nano sponge, AIO, wax), than any additional waxings will just go on top of what's already there. I try to keep my car clean at all times, so there is really no need to stip it but once a year.

emmjay
09-24-2016, 01:31 PM
When I had hard paint, I would clay and re-apply the same sealant with zero issues.

If I am changing it up, a cleaner or a very fine polish at least is what I would recommend

Now with soft paint - Ive used a light polish twice in the one year ive had the car. So I can't comment on that tbh.

if you plan on using Hydro2 again - then just clay if your paint isn't too soft. On soft paint clay will marr the surface

And yes, look into a proper sealant like Collinite 845, Menzerna Powerlock etc. They will last much longer and you can do you full detail once every 4-5 months. Even more if you use a spray wax like meguiars D156 (ultimate quik wax) after every wash. I got up to 8 months before I decided to polish my car.

There's much better stuff (like I mentioned) than Reload or Hydro 2. Collinite 845 is loved and lasts very very long. Menzerna Powerlock (for me) is a close second. You have decent sealant from Meguiars like NXT Tech wax or Ultimate Liquid Wax (which is a sealant).