PDA

View Full Version : Removing defects from hard paint...

Pages : [1] 2 3

WRAPT C5Z06
09-24-2016, 12:31 AM
Damn, is it sure hard..hehe! Working on a C5 corvette and having a tough time. I've been using the Flex 3401, heavy cut compounds, lambswool pads, heavy cutting foam pads, and it still takes multiple passes per section. Wish I had better rotary skills for situations like this. I tried an AIO on and orange hybrid pad and it was relatively worthless.

Eldorado2k
09-24-2016, 12:49 AM
I'm curious to know which compounds you've tried.

fly07sti
09-24-2016, 12:51 AM
Sounds like the perfect time to dial in those rotary skills Mark.

dlc95
09-24-2016, 12:51 AM
Those situations are the worst!

Eldorado2k
09-24-2016, 12:57 AM
I've got a neighbor a couple houses down with a nice burnt orange colored Corvette, my guess is it's about a 2008-10 but it's nice and swirled up... I've been meaning to ask him if he'd be interested in letting me polish it out. But then I wonder how hard that paint might be after hearing so much about Corvette paint. I figure it can't be harder than Cadillac paint. Lol.

richy
09-24-2016, 01:08 AM
My go-to's for very hard paint had always been M101 or even the rocks-in-the-bottle Menzerna heavy hitter (although you had your work cut out for you after using it). I would even switch to rotary and run at higher speeds which I don't like doing due to the risk of increased heat. I now have a better alternative that has yet to fail me:

Shine Supply Chop Top

Yes, it's not available here, but that doesn't negate the fact that this product sits at the top of the heavy hitter's heap. It sits there not only for its ability to cut, but also with the fact that given that level of cut, it finishes down WAY NICER than you would expect it to. A second step of M205 and a white B/S pad will make it flawless. I use CT with black wool (or even the Polish Angel white wool) and my 3401.

I don't know if you have time to get this product in for this job or not. Even if you don't, I highly recommend it for those occasions when you need a quality heavy hitter.

I have used CT in several jobs that I have posted on here, but unfortunately, due to my Photobucket screw up, all the pics no longer link.

I can sum up by saying I will never be without CT in my arsenal...never.

shadwell
09-24-2016, 05:49 AM
Rotary, wool and a non diminishing compound....

Clean up with DA, coarse foam and diminishing compound...

Feel your pain after wet sanding a killer hard paint...

fightnews
09-24-2016, 05:51 AM
Damn, is it sure hard..hehe! Working on a C5 corvette and having a tough time. I've been using the Flex 3401, heavy cut compounds, lambswool pads, heavy cutting foam pads, and it still takes multiple passes per section. Wish I had better rotary skills for situations like this. I tried an AIO on and orange hybrid pad and it was relatively worthless.

how come its so hard? how do u know how hard ur paint is other them working on it?

emmjay
09-24-2016, 07:47 AM
how come its so hard? how do u know how hard ur paint is other them working on it?

Soft paint scratches and marrs easily, and gets swirls a lot more easily. Hard paint doesn't, thats usually how you know.

I learned that the hard way with my Honda Accord. My previous two VW gti's never had marring or fine scratches, even with a one bucket type wash. I do miss that.

Eldorado2k
09-24-2016, 08:00 AM
It scratches and marrs easily, and gets swirls a lot more easily.

I learned that the hard way with my Honda Accord. My previous two VW gti's never had marring or fine scratches, even with a one bucket type wash. I do miss that.

Sounds like you're describing soft paint. Or?

emmjay
09-24-2016, 08:25 AM
Sounds like you're describing soft paint. Or?

Woops, brain fart. Fixed the post :)

Thanks!

TTQ B4U
09-24-2016, 08:33 AM

As a former Vette Owner I will tell you that it's tough clear coat for sure.

MEGUIARS Foam Cut Compound 101 is the way to go for major corrections. From there you can polish it up with Meg's Ultimate Polish on an Orange or Green Pad. Working time on 101 is good but it will dust a bit and make final clean up and removal a little tougher than you'd like so if you're charging for the job, just add in a little more costs.

GSKR
09-24-2016, 03:00 PM
I don't think it's hard paint at all.Ive done about 40 vettes for a dealer in town.Ranging from 2006 to 2014. Most difficult car was a 13 coupe had to wetsand the whole entire car.I don't do them anymore he wanted unskilled detailer prices.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-24-2016, 04:17 PM
I tried Griots Fast Correct Cream, Scholl S3 XXL, HD Cut+ and 3D AAT Compound. Scholl S3 XXL cut the best/fastest.

I don't think it's hard paint at all.Ive done about 40 vettes for a dealer in town.Ranging from 2006 to 2014. Most difficult car was a 13 coupe had to wetsand the whole entire car.I don't do them anymore he wanted unskilled detailer prices.
C5 clear is hard. The car is a 2003.

fly07sti
09-24-2016, 04:27 PM
The one compound that I go to just before I think I may have to sand is Scholl S0 matting compound. Corey carries it and it cuts Hard! Will leave a haze but I haven't used anything more aggressive product wise. Richy praises Chop Top so that is another option.