PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and protecting rubber trim around windows?

CC268
09-23-2016, 10:47 PM
What do you guys recommend for cleaning and protecting the rubber trim around windows? I hear 303 Aerospace works great for protection but not sure what to use for cleaning the rubber. Maybe Megs APC?

BMW435
09-23-2016, 11:48 PM
What do you guys recommend for cleaning and protecting the rubber trim around windows? I hear 303 Aerospace works great for protection but not sure what to use for cleaning the rubber. Maybe Megs APC?

What works good for me is I use a good APC (Meguiars D101 or Optimum Power Clean) and a damp microfiber. Scrub it good and then I apply Wolfgang's Exterior Trim Sealant.

The Guz
09-24-2016, 12:21 AM
If you are looking for a product that cleans and protects this is one that I would recommend.

BLACKFIRE All-In-One Trim & Tire Protectant, tire dressing, tire protectant, whitewall tire cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-total-eclipse-tire-shine.html)

303 also sells this but it's recommended to clean the trim prior to application.

303 Rubber Seal Protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/303-rubber-seal-protectant.html)

mwoywod
09-24-2016, 12:23 AM
Depends on the condition of the rubber. For my personal vehicle I'll spray some DP APC+ diluted 10:1 on a cheap kirkland microfiber towel and use only the texture of the microfiber towel to lightly scrub the rubber.

Today I detailed a SEVERELY neglected Porsche Boxster and the rubber trim around each window was severally neglected and extremely splotchy looking. (Personally I never tape before a paint correction so i like to clean and protect the rubber and plastic prior to polishing).

I used the same cleaner and dilution but lightly scrub neglected rubber with one of the mothers detail brushes which are firm while still soft enough not to damage. Wiped up with a microfiber and then used d114 in a spray bottle at qd dilution to clean any left over residues that might still be on the rubber & paint. At that point I used Optimum protectant plus and then once I finished correcting the paint I went over the paint, plastic and rubber with opti-seal then an hour later went over all the paint, plastic and rubber with dp maxwax. maxwax really enhaces all the rubber trim

fightnews
09-24-2016, 06:21 AM
what do u guys think of wipenew? i used it once but i spilled most of the bottle right off the bat so i only used it sparingly on exterior trim. it seemed to work good though, i might use it again today on window and exterior trim

CC268
09-24-2016, 08:13 AM
What works good for me is I use a good APC (Meguiars D101 or Optimum Power Clean) and a damp microfiber. Scrub it good and then I apply Wolfgang's Exterior Trim Sealant.

Sound like a good way to go considering I have those products :p

GSKR
09-24-2016, 02:15 PM
Depends on the condition of the rubber. For my personal vehicle I'll spray some DP APC+ diluted 10:1 on a cheap kirkland microfiber towel and use only the texture of the microfiber towel to lightly scrub the rubber.

Today I detailed a SEVERELY neglected Porsche Boxster and the rubber trim around each window was severally neglected and extremely splotchy looking. (Personally I never tape before a paint correction so i like to clean and protect the rubber and plastic prior to polishing).

I used the same cleaner and dilution but lightly scrub neglected rubber with one of the mothers detail brushes which are firm while still soft enough not to damage. Wiped up with a microfiber and then used d114 in a spray bottle at qd dilution to clean any left over residues that might still be on the rubber & paint. At that point I used Optimum protectant plus and then once I finished correcting the paint I went over the paint, plastic and rubber with opti-seal then an hour later went over all the paint, plastic and rubber with dp maxwax. maxwax really enhaces all the rubber trim
Agree.A good cleaning is imperative any kind of dressing or rubber care looks good,but it wears off quickly.unless you use a trim coating like gtech on hard trim pieces.

TTQ B4U
09-24-2016, 03:14 PM
I use WETS every 3-4 weeks without issue. Trim looks great, stays supple and is well protected. Not 100% that it's going to stay my go-to product but it's working for me now.

srpurdy
09-24-2016, 09:25 PM
I like using MEGS D156 / UQW on the rubber to protect it after, It doesn't wash off and leave annoying marks on it after, and gives it a matte finish. :)

For cleaning any APC works good. rub with a microfiber. If needed a small stiff brush, but you need to be careful when doing that. :)

Interestingly Iron-X also works really well, but I only know that because of a car I did recently where black gunk was coming off on the rinse down. I'm not sure I would use it to actually clean that with.

emmjay
09-25-2016, 12:20 AM

Identical to what I do. Before WG trim sealant I used Aerospace 303 once. Both good protectants, but being a sealant I switched to it. :)

CC268
09-25-2016, 09:40 AM
Thanks guys